The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Why does Nikhil insists...

Page: previous  1 2
SCC1 9/28/24, 10:58:26 PM
SCC1 avatar image

debut: 12/22/20
271 runs

In reply to doosra

Common entrance time came, and I went and did my stuff, got placed at NAMS with just under 500 marks.

I'm not sure where Narsingh went, even though he's from my club (I started practicing at Albion in the end of 2001.)

At Multi, there were some solid cricketers from Tucber Park, Bermine, Young Warriors, and Rose Hall Estate.
Lemme see if I can recall their names: Bush (Ishwar Singh), his brother Gajanand Singh, Jason Sanmogan, Julian Moore, Anthony D'Anrade, Anil Solomon, Dane Benny...among others.

All those dudes (including me) used to make use of the concrete strip between the bicycle shed and the cafeteria to play tapeball cricket. Just two guys batting and everyone else fielding...when one of them is dismissed, someone in the field replaces them.

Fun times before phones and internet and thing
doosra 9/28/24, 11:16:01 PM
doosra avatar image

debut: 5/26/04
95,004 runs

In reply to SCC1

nostalgia

there was a pic of that team you called there the other day on FB - Gaja et al
- edited -
Raskil 9/29/24, 1:03:30 AM
Raskil avatar image

debut: 11/13/02
13,212 runs

The paper bag fried rice was before the times of plastic containers…really a matter of use what’s available. It tasted real good. Especially if y’all had a serving of knuckles, who know know!

NA
Dhall puri with icicle , the best lunch from the cafeteria.
That strip of concrete between the cafeteria and bicycle shed was the only one of the ‘pitches’ the other one was fully grass the other side of the cafeteria.
Mr Samuels had his cows grazing all over the place BTW
SCC1 9/29/24, 1:16:15 AM
SCC1 avatar image

271 runs

In reply to doosra

Thanks. This brings back memories, so many
SCC1 9/29/24, 1:20:28 AM
SCC1 avatar image

271 runs

In reply to Raskil

Weren't there those paper food containers prior to the Styrofoam boxes? Their time was short-lived.

When I was a brand new first-former, my classmates and I never had the opportunity to use that strip of concrete between the bike shed and the cafeteria. We went on an expedition to find our own cricket field.

We 'discovered' a wide expanse of nature taking over a tarmac behind where the bathrooms were. I had great memories scaling over the fence to retrieve our ball.
Raskil 9/29/24, 1:27:54 AM
Raskil avatar image

13,212 runs

In reply to SCC1

Those boxes were too big for a serving of fried rice.
The tarmac was always available to play a full match, the strip was a lunch quickie.
Behind the tarmac was the best escape to cut school and go to Strand or the other two cinemas and watch movies. Just carry a change of shirt.

Strand
Faarz
Gaiety
Cinemas if I remember correctly
- edited -
SCC1 9/29/24, 1:34:13 AM
SCC1 avatar image

271 runs

In reply to Raskil

The pepper and ketchup used to stick on the paper and it provided a nice area to lick. I'm not sure they were that big. The amount of food to price was more than manageable.

Wow, I am enamored with that tarmac...coming from the countryside of Berbice, I felt that I fit right in. It was a culture shock for me starting secondary school in a wholly unfamiliar environment.
Raskil 9/29/24, 1:40:32 AM
Raskil avatar image

13,212 runs

In reply to SCC1

More than 80% of students going into Multi, more qualified to attend however choosing not to, are from outside of New Amsterdam. It was always going to be a culture shock.
It was an experience.
SCC1 9/29/24, 1:45:02 AM
SCC1 avatar image

271 runs

In reply to Raskil

That culture shock faded away fast after I got comfortable with one of the best English teachers I have ever had, Mr. Ian Carter, in form 1.

Apart from his subject area, I learned quit a lot from him about life and cricket. His knowledge was invaluable, and I was a sponge.
Page: previous  1 2