No time for India and West Indies to squabble

Thu, Oct 23, '14

by MARK NICHOLAS

Commentary

If I was a West Indian cricketer with an IPL contract who had just pulled out of the Indian tour, I would be nervous. In order to appear in the IPL, each player must be issued with a no-objection certificate by his own board of control. If the WICB is of a mind to teach its employees a lesson, it has it right there, in the palm of its hand. But it won't. It is one thing to mess with the BCCI's tour schedules, quite another to play loose with the IPL.

Frankly, the WICB took an almighty gamble allowing the players to tour India with contractual issues hanging over them. Perhaps the board had taken advantage of Wavell Hinds - a pussycat compared to his predecessor as head of the players association, Dinanath Ramnarine - in the recent negotiations and resulting MOU and figured the players needed its support more than vice versa. Big mistake. Huge. Though the players' international performances do not justify inflated sums, they are due an income that is requisite to their commitment. The deal struck by Hinds appeared to be soft.

comments 3 comments full article

WICB batting on $ticky wicket

Thu, Oct 23, '14

by TONY COZIER

Commentary

AS the directors of West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) met in an emergency session in Barbados on Tuesday “to conduct a thorough assessment of all the ramifications” of Friday’s unprecedented abandonment of the Indian tour, they faced the prospect that the organisation could go out of business should the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) press a claim for damages along with its suspension of future bilateral tours.
The directors entered their meeting on Tuesday hours after the BCCI confirmed its intention to defer future bilateral tours; the International Cricket Council (ICC) Future Tours Programme (FTP) lists India for five series against the West Indies in the next eight years, including four visits to the Caribbean.
Although it did not specifically mention earlier speculation that it would seek compensation from the WICB for financial losses, it stated that it would start legal proceedings.
It is estimated that the revenue shortfall from 17 blank playing days on the cancelled tour, mainly through television rights and ticket sales, is over US$60 million.
Doubts over the WICB’s survival had already been raised before the present crisis by the chartered accountants, KPMG, in the last financial statement for the year ending September 30, 2013.
KPMG warned that the net loss for the preceding year of US$5,821,413, along with shareholders’ deficiencies of US$5,693,323, “raise substantial doubt that the company will be able to continue as a going concern”.

comments 0 comments full article

ICC Admits it is Powerless in India-West Indies Dispute

Wed, Oct 22, '14

 

Windies v India

Dubai: The International Cricket Council (ICC) on Wednesday,  admitted it “does not have the power to intervene” in the dispute between the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB).

The future of the West Indies national side is uncertain following the squad’s sudden abandonment of their three-format tour of India.

read more at NDTV

comments 1 comments full article

WICB fired me, says former coach Gibson

Wed, Oct 22, '14

 

WICB

Former West Indies coach Ottis Gibson, who parted company with the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) under controversial circumstances in August, says the board fired him.

Gibson, speaking for the first time since the sudden development, dismissed the WICB statement that they mutually agreed to end their association.

comments 27 comments full article

WICB statement following emergency meeting of Board of Directors

Tue, Oct 21, '14

 

WICB

Bridgetown, Barbados – The West Indies Cricket Board regrets, and is deeply embarrassed by the premature and unfortunate end to the recent tour of India. The WICB once again expresses to the BCCI and all stakeholders - especially the cricket loving public of the West Indies and India - sorrow for the events leading up to this development.

 

The Board of Directors of the WICB, today met to formally embark on the process of a careful and systematic review of relevant events and have, initially, decided as follows:

1.     to establish a Task Force, comprising critical stakeholders, to review the premature end of the tour to India. The Task Force will meet with all parties, including WIPA and the players, before reporting its findings to the Board of Directors.

2.     to request a meeting with the BCCI.

3.     to schedule an urgent debriefing with the West Indies Team Management Unit.

4.     to assure Cricket South Africa that it will use its best endeavours to ensure a successful tour of South Africa as scheduled.  

The WICB is mindful of the related decisions of the BCCI Working Committee.

In light of the longstanding good relationship between WICB and BCCI, which goes back decades and has produced numerous mutual benefits, the WICB looks forward to meeting with the BCCI to discuss these decisions which can have serious implications for West Indies cricket.

WICB believes that a way can be found to repair the damage that has been caused and to ensure that similar events do not recur, with the focus being on the betterment of West Indies and world cricket.

The WICB thanks all stakeholders, particularly the ICC, BCCI, their broadcasters and sponsors for their patience and understanding in this matter and looks forward to the continuation of a strong relationship between our Boards.

The WICB is committed to acting as expeditiously as the situation allows, and will provide further information to the public as soon as it is appropriate to do so.

comments 27 comments full article

More News