The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Successful Tour

ThinEdge 2014-09-18 17:01:41 

...Bangladesh done and gone...Windies did what was expected.

Now...what results would be considered a successful tour of India (5 ODI, 1 T20 and # TESTS)?

BatQuake 2014-09-18 17:19:29 

In reply to ThinEdge

The West Indies winning the ODI, T20 and Test series.....that's what would constitute a successful tour.

imusic 2014-09-18 17:33:43 

In reply to ThinEdge

India is ranked #5 in Tests, #1 in ODI's and #2 in T20's

WI is ranked #8 in Tests, #8 in ODI's, and #7 in T20's

If you go by rankings alone, we should lose the 3 series

If you go by rankings AND the fact that India is playing at home, we should HANDILY lose the 3 series

I believe however the key to our performances in the Test matches will be which bowlers are selected

India's batting is formidable at home. Our bowlers will need to be fit and at the top of their game to consistently restrict them to manageable totals. Knowledge of, and familiarity with, Indian conditions will also be a key factor.

With that in mind, I expect the core of the TEST bowling attack to be chosen from Roach, Taylor, Rampaul,(if fit), Holder, Benn, & Narine

I would also select more experienced batsmen to tour India at this time. It's not the place to be playing BOTH Johnson and Blackwood IMO. Experienced players like Dwayne Bravo and/or Marlon Samuels with great familiarity of Indian conditions COULD be a great asset to the team.

That's the test team. The LO teams are different. That's where the likes of Russell, Pollard, Blackwood etc can come in. Bring in Lendl Simmmons, Badree, Santokie...all experienced in Indian conditions now. Johnson Charles, Cotterelll if needed.

Success for me would be a narrow test series loss e.g. draw 2 of the 3 tests (0-1-2), a narrow ODI series loss (2-3), and a victory in the T20 series.

Anything more would be gravy

Anything less would be maintaining the status quo.

At the end of the day I expect us to be competitive in every match...test, ODI, and T20

ThinEdge 2014-09-18 17:41:48 

Nice imusic ... ilike!!!!

If we could pull off a single Test victory I would consider that a success

Andy99 2014-09-18 18:01:27 

In reply to ThinEdge

For the Test series I'd say winning one be a success.
Or losing one and drawing the other 2 without the help of rain would also be good.

If we lose all 3 but managed to go into the final day with a decent chance of winning each Test then that can be a lil positive.

BatQuake 2014-09-18 18:16:35 

In reply to imusic

With that in mind, I expect the core of the TEST bowling attack to be chosen from Roach, Taylor, Rampaul,(if fit), Holder, Benn, & Narine

Huh? Wuh? Narine? I mean really Narine? shock shock shock....Narine in a Test team for the West Indies?

Man you ain't ready yet. You are dismissed.

NEXT!!!!!!!

imusic 2014-09-18 18:32:41 

In reply to BatQuake

Who would you select instead of Narine as a 2nd spin option with Benn?

Does this player have experience of and familiarity with Indian conditions?

ThinEdge 2014-09-18 18:43:02 

Winning a TEST means you have to take 20 wickets - our bowlers have shown some wicket taking ability recently...but the catching and fielding has to step up to give support!!!

Drawing requires batsmen to value their wicket...stay at the crease ... Kraigg has shown that temperment...Shiv we know... Lil Bravo can do it... Ramdin has shown some form ...

... would love for us to pull off a win...but earning a draw is not too shabby an outcome...

Can Ambi inspire the bowlers/fielders to a win?

FuzzyWuzzy 2014-09-18 18:44:44 

Amazing how men now want to call a draw, or lasting 5 days, success.

My my my my big grin

imusic 2014-09-18 18:55:28 

Amazing how mice used to call a draw against Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka with nearly 3 days rained out, success

My my my my cool

FuzzyWuzzy 2014-09-18 18:57:57 

In reply to imusic

Throw me corn me no call no fowl! Kluck kluck kluck big grin

imusic 2014-09-18 19:01:41 

In reply to ThinEdge

Winning a TEST means you have to take 20 wickets - our bowlers have shown some wicket taking ability recently...but the catching and fielding has to step up to give support!!!

Both the bowling and fielding showed improvement under Gibson. The batting too often failed.

If the 3 disciplines....batting, bowling and fielding...can be in synch where all 3 show improvement....we'll be in good shape. That is the goal.

International cricket is a tiered system

Top tier:
South Africa
Australia

Tier 2:
England
India

Tier 3:
Sri Lanka
Pakistan

Tier 4:
New Zealand
West Indies

Tier 5:
Bangladesh
Zimbabwe

Both England and India are extremely strong at home. Much less so away from home. It's the same for most teams....except....SA and Australia are better than most away from home. That's why they're top tier.

The next goal for WI is to join the ranks of Sri Lanka and Pakistan. Certainly doable.

imusic 2014-09-18 19:02:11 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

A mouse throwin corn.

Wuhloss cool

FuzzyWuzzy 2014-09-18 19:08:08 

In reply to imusic

Ketch a big rat though

Out papa!

BatQuake 2014-09-18 19:18:01 

In reply to imusic

Who would you select instead of Narine as a 2nd spin option with Benn?

Does this player have experience of and familiarity with Indian conditions?

But what I reading dere tonight nah from this imusic fella.....

Shillingford ofcourse. And Shillingford ought to be selected as the premier spin option with Benn as the 2nd spin option.

So because Shillingford had a tough game upon his return, all you conveniently want to rule him out eh.

So everybody else is allowed at least one bad game and a chance to recover but not Shillingford I see. So his string of high-wicket taking performances could not make him the front-line spinner but Benn 2 performances automatically make him de front line spinner?

Y'all really unfair eh. I hope you are not a lawyer. But then again, law these days ain't really interested in wrong and right but rather who can most skillfully exploit the technicalities and loopholes in the law wins.

imusic 2014-09-18 19:54:20 

In reply to BatQuake

Shillingford ofcourse. And Shillingford ought to be selected as the premier spin option with Benn as the 2nd spin option.

So because Shillingford had a tough game upon his return, all you conveniently want to rule him out eh.

So everybody else is allowed at least one bad game and a chance to recover but not Shillingford I see. So his string of high-wicket taking performances could not make him the front-line spinner but Benn 2 performances automatically make him de front line spinner?

Well Shillingford had a little thing in the way called "banned from bowling due to being reported for an illegal bowling action"

And this isn't the first time he's been reported either.

Essentially, shane shillingford needs to have the doosra in his armoury to be effective. Because he is BANNED FROM BOWLING THE DOOSRA BY THE ICC....he's about as effective as rawle lewis in international cricket.

BatQuake 2014-09-18 19:58:26 

In reply to imusic

Isn't the doosra only a late addition to Shillingford's bowling?

Didn't Shillingford mostly develop his craft and reputation at regional level without the doosra?

imusic 2014-09-18 20:48:13 

In reply to BatQuake

Once he "developed" it at regional level, he was selected for WI

Now he's banned from bowling it, even Gabriel beating him. cool