The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

WICB cannot afford the "star" players & PCL

DIEHARD 2014-10-31 15:09:01 

This is the crux of the matter int? WICB just needs to be honest with the players.

Isn't it as simple as someone sitting down with a calculator, working out what the WICB would need to pay to essentially buy out these lucrative worldwide T-20 contracts the Russells, Pollards, Gayles & Bravos have, net of any income that comes to the WICB from those same contracts?

Then its simple..isn't it? If the WICB has the budget, to afford to pay them their calculated market value, then offer to do so, you then "own" that player, isn't that what other boards do?

If you can't afford the player, then say thanks, its been real, but you need to step!!! We cant afford your services.

It's either you can afford the star player or you can't, and if you can't, and the player is adamant they want to be paid market value to turn out for WI, then... why cant everybody agree to part ways then?

Every body involved want to have them cake and eat it too, the players want as many paydays as possible, and the WICB wants to keep the players on their payroll so they can continue to earn revenue from renting them out to the various T-20 leagues, what a conundrum.

How dishonourable of Ginal Dave & Wavell to not be honest and tell the players they cannot afford their services due to the investment being made in the future of the regional game, it isn't the money Dave and co...its the principle, you cant con the players into agreeing!!!

Show them the figures up front, and let them decide, really disgraceful behaviour by WIPA and WICB, this "Anancy culture" really rampant in Jamaica bwoy

Am I oversimplifying here?

POINT 2014-10-31 15:39:10 

In reply to DIEHARD

I see where you are coming from . However the WICB will never ever open its books to the Players .

You see doing that would make the Players their Equals , and that must never ever happen . The people in the WICB will never treat the Players as their Equals .

This is precisely why , some years ago , it was publicly stated by those in the WICB that the Players cannot read etc .

So for the WICB to open its books to the Players from its perspective that is a non starter .

It is all about CLASS DISTINCTION .This is what fuels not only the animosity towards the Players ; but also Arrogance .

Commie 2014-10-31 15:45:35 

In reply to POINT

Have a look

Im not sure whether WIP or Wipmacol issue any financials other than what can be derievd from the same WICB statements.

DIEHARD 2014-10-31 16:09:51 

In reply to POINT

Unfortunately this seems to be the case, but, dinosaurs didn't want to accept the changing landscape either...look how they ended up evil

You cant be talking about wanting professional athletes and not deal with the current lot you have, its ludicrous.

It's almost as if they know they cant take credit for the T-20 superstars we currently have so they scorn them, hoping to generate their own "next" generation of stars, its been this way for quite some time.

But they realise they need the stars, and they hate that they do, they hate the fact they owe their livelihood and very existence to these illiterate ingrates lol lol lol

POINT 2014-10-31 16:12:34 

In reply to Commie

So opening books , is the only thing that I stated was in error . I take it then , that you are in agreement with me , regarding the
the other things I stated about the WICB .

razz razz razz razz razz razz razz razz razz razz razz razz razz razz razz razz razz razz razz razz razz razz razz razz razz razz razz razz lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

spider 2014-10-31 16:22:28 

In reply to POINT

But that is a big miss since limited funds is at the root of many problems.

Commie 2014-10-31 16:28:19 

In reply to POINT

I am not sure how to even try to help you along with this situation.

The WICB irrespective of the nonsense you post still rev shares 25% of its revenue with the players and WI intl players still make more money than SL , Pakistan, NZ, Bangladesh and Zimbabwe players. And in many situations they are treated BETTER.

I would prefer for someone to be vex with me and to pay me, than for them to love me and pay me crap.

Is the relationship perfect ? Of course not. The WICB is still arcane in its structure.

However the rabid nonsense you post over and over again in your attempt to bludgeon readers with the thought process that the WICB is some alien organisation misses out that the WICB is increasingly populated by ordinary people from across the region.

I would tell you there is more openness in the WICB and its spend of money than there is in the St Vincent Government.

Which is an irony in itself.

camos 2014-10-31 16:32:01 

In reply to Commie

how come you always attack Ralph and Mitchel but never a word on Dominica,you fraid?

Commie 2014-10-31 16:36:15 

In reply to camos

How comes you can never stick to the context ?

DIEHARD 2014-10-31 17:11:59 

In reply to Commie

Ok,. so from the 2013 financials, total player payments is close to $7M thats match fees retainers, everything except provident fund and injury payments.

Based on the financials they could not even afford to make those payments, so how much will they now be paying out to these 90 players in total?

The contracts maybe need to be skewed more heavily to a higher portion of players payment coming from retainer contracts, and once you have a retainer, you are "owned" by the WICB, a nominal match fee for players, so non retained players have to impress when selected to earn a much more lucrative retainer.

Need another cricket boards stats to compare, like whats the benchmark?

I don't know if player payments is too high or too low a percentage of total expenses and or revenue versus staff expenses for example

Commie 2014-10-31 17:22:17 

In reply to DIEHARD

Based on the financials they could not even afford to make those payments, so how much will they now be paying out to these 90 players in total?

In Swetes in Antigua when Amby used to bowl intl cricket, his mother would come out and ring a bell every time he took a wicket.

You need someone to ring a bell for your post big grin

I did a thread on other boards and how they manage their payments. The standard for player rev share is 25%. Sri Lanka and Pakistan are below. Zim are below. Bangladesh are below.

SA pay their players 'pay as you go' contract by series and event. They dont do retainers. India, Eng and AUs pay 25% as well...

The WICB is outside the top 3 and SAthe Board which pays the best despite generating very little outside of what the Big 3, and in particular India generates for it.

WHich leads us to the question. Why the f would the players and the WICB play a game of brinkmanship with that background.

DIEHARD 2014-10-31 17:33:37 

In reply to Commie

shock

Well...wtf are we even here then??!! lol lol lol

Whats all the hullabaloo about?

Is it about how the 25% is then gonna be shared?

I think its gonna come back to, its not what Dave and Wavell are doing, because we are all in universal agreement I think re the way to improve the game, a professional set up and better pitches.

But its the way it was done, throw the senior players under the bus behind dem back.

Fassy dave would not even acknowledge he facked up after the fact, just got on his high horse, as another poster said on another thread, couple weeks ago u were all high and mighty saying you wont talk to no player, now that 42 million hanging over yu head, u shame and draw u tail between yu leg...and meeting with players, why did it have to come to this Dave?..you SKUNT!!!

Commie 2014-10-31 17:56:02 

In reply to DIEHARD

On top of the retainers the players get sponsorship money from Digicel paid for every day of intl matches they play.

It is that which has been gutted by the wicb and WavellWipa and that which created the dispute.

The WICB argue that of the 25 percent revenue they get, the intl players get 80 percent of this whilst the remaining 90 fc players get 20 percent of the 25 percent which is why WI fc cricketers are poorly paid.

POINT 2014-10-31 17:58:32 

In reply to DIEHARD

You are absolutely correct in everything you stated . The problem is that they firmly believe that they are doing very well in the governance of Cricket in this Region .

Never mind the fact that they have run the Entity into the Ground . I am somewhat
troubled by the fact that they have many Sympathizers in the Media & in this Forum .

cherri 2014-10-31 18:05:55 

In reply to Commie

It is that which has been gutted and that which created the dispute........

U sure?.......the players agreed to give that up, what the players wanted their Rep to do was to tell them how they will make up their fall out in terms of their flat salary, the players asked their rep to negotiate with the WICB and get back to them with the proposal, that never happened, their Rep signed off and the players did not know, that is what created the dispute, their Rep could not come back to them because he never negotiated anything, their thing was, the players agreed and when I sign that is it, cayn undo, then to make matters worse the rep told them not to sign the contracts which were presented to them and he will go back and negotiate....negotiate wuh, he did not do it first up, how he gine negotiate now....he thought that once he signed off the players were locked down..... he thought wrong.......

Commie 2014-10-31 18:11:58 

In reply to cherri

The money was still gutted big grin

Your account is true.

The history of one up man ship has always been there.

Remember the England tour in 2009 when the wicb offered the players 1.4m usd of the 2m usd they were getting fro England and wipa said it wanted 1.9m.

That was on the brink too you know. And the negotiating parties were the same. Except both had official roles.

There have been many occasions. This relationship is an abusive one.

spider 2014-10-31 18:12:33 

In reply to cherri

But what would they be giving up if they wanted it made up?

bobby 2014-10-31 18:16:01 

In reply to Commie

Our Team may be full of shite but we still have a few - the PDs - that people around the world will pay to see. The same cannot be said for players in the Teams you mentioned.

Commie 2014-10-31 18:49:44 

In reply to bobby

Really?

WI just gave up 37m dollars of tv revenue for the next tv rights cycle because noone really buys tv to watch wi play. Thats essentially what they admitted.

The tv rights were sold on the basis that Aus, eng and India have people willing to watch them play and therefore those who play them should be grateful for the revenue they get.

Every contract has best team clause. Its there because all along the chain someone is selling something that hasn't happened yet on a premium that gives very little room for an out. TV has prepaid for the tour, advertisers have prepaid, and here comes a perfect excuse to say...give me back some coin.

that is one rare opportunity of an out.

the bcci have no interest in giving back budgeted money to star sports and espn. WI could lose 3 zip and look like isht they don't care. They want to fulfil their obligations rather than be penalized.

Something both the wicb and the players should realise for themselves.

cherri 2014-10-31 19:02:20 

In reply to spider

The players get a flat salary....they get an allowance and they get sponsorship fees...they gave up the allowances and the sponsorship money.....which in essence is taking away most of the money they get, the salary on its own is puny to say the least, when people hear these big numbers it is usually allowance+sponsorship fees+salary that make up the big figure, when you take away those two, what the players were asking was for a little more on the flat salary that they can be happy with, that is all..........it is like a man in a hotel working for 250 a week and wid tips he can take home 750, if you as the boss tell him he can no longer get tips, what are you going to tack onto to that 250 to make up things?that is all the players were asking.......

Kurt 2014-10-31 19:07:37 

In reply to Commie

Can u provide links that show the WICB and other boards are paying a similar % of revenues?

Commie 2014-10-31 19:19:04 

In reply to Kurt

First...the south african view.

Read the last two paragraphs carefully.

WI value

I did a thread on retainers and Rev share by country. Will try dig it up.

Commie 2014-10-31 19:23:06 

Sri Lankan similarity

BatQuake 2014-10-31 22:09:40 

In reply to POINT

However the WICB will never ever open its books to the Players .

Oh please. Get real.

Which private company shows its employees its financial earnings?

If you had a private company running, would you show all your employees the amount of money the company makes and tell them that because we are making such and such per month or per year, then we can only pay you dis?

You see the kind of absurd things you say when you allow your extremist anti-WICB hypothetical arguments to cloud your thinking.....

Pacy 2014-11-01 01:01:45 

In reply to Commie

The WICB irrespective of the nonsense you post still rev shares 25% of its revenue with the players and WI intl players still make more money than SL , Pakistan, NZ, Bangladesh and Zimbabwe players. And in many situations they are treated BETTER

Here goes the crap again. WI players are not better paid than their SL or NZ counterparts.

Bravo's statement clearly states that their Sponsorship fee (35K) has been 100% reduced and the ICC payments are reduced close to 100%.

NZ & SL match fees and Retainers are the same or better than what WI gets... They still get their share of Sponsorship Fees and ICC Payments. You do the maths

Wally-1 2014-11-01 07:31:37 

In reply to Commie

How comes you can never stick to the context ?

he is a comrade

smile