The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Not Smart to Allow Weather to Force Abandonment

JamMack 2014-11-22 13:12:13 

Abandoning a cricket match because of weather in this day and age is just ridiculous in most cases. There should be contingency plans in place. Weather forecast are extremely accurate provided they don't come from Chrissy. WICB need to be proactive and flexible. The region is so geographically dispersed that we should be able to reschedule games for alternate venues and we should allow for replacement "weather" days.

Toney 2014-11-22 14:18:29 

In reply to JamMack

Weather girl Chrissy is only good at forecasting Hurricanes; especially the ones that's approaching the Caribbean. She cannot waste her time warning people about a lil rain that might affect a cricket match in which Lara is not involved.
wink wink

camos 2014-11-22 14:40:40 

In reply to JamMack

bro, you are being unrealistic, the product value does not warrant that level of care. Did WICB not just abandon a multimillion dollar tour?

JamMack 2014-11-22 18:50:54 

In reply to camos

You do have a point. The ninkumpups did walk out on the tour.

I guess the product value is not like Buffalo playing the Jets in American Football, whose game was switched to Detroit because of weather. Anyway, I really shouldn't pick on the fragile WICB. I should challenge the ICC. I know the product value is high when Australia playing India in an ODI in Mumbai. There should not be an abandonment of an international match as there is too much at stake.

BatQuake 2014-11-22 19:42:35 

In reply to Toney

Weather girl Chrissy is only good at forecasting Hurricanes; especially the ones that's approaching the Caribbean.

Is either joke you making or you are not very familiar with her failure rate on these sort of things in the backroom of this MB.

unitsypher 2014-11-22 19:48:49 

In reply to JamMack
This is a big disappointment as I feel these are the two best teams in the tournament.

archangel 2014-11-22 20:48:01 

In reply to camos

The WICB were forced to abandon a tour.

tc1 2014-11-22 21:08:40 

In reply to camos

Are referring to Odi yes, test match or 4dy game, think again bro, don't be so fast to denounce

camos 2014-11-22 21:13:47 

In reply to tc1

we are talking about the value of the regional 4 day game. not sure why you talking about test and Odi.

vulcan 2014-11-22 21:21:40 

In reply to JamMack

reschedule games for alternate venues

The should be "alternative" venues.

tc1 2014-11-22 21:47:35 

In reply to camos
It is difficult to reschedule or make up the game as it required 4 days of rescheduling time.
It ay be best to play the game at the end of the regular tournament if the 2 teams are in contention position to be declare winners.

JamMack 2014-11-23 07:10:20 

In reply to vulcan

Actually either word is appropriate.
"alternate" is an adjective meaning: "serving or used in place of another."

I think my choice of words were correct. Look it up.

vulcan 2014-11-23 16:16:22 

In reply to JamMack

I looked it and I am declaring that the usage of the word alternate from that source is incorrect.

Serving or used in place of another
is not alternate but alternative (alternate plan should be alternative. That free online dictionary is not reliable.

a. To occur in a successive manner: day alternating with night.

b. To act or proceed by turns: The students alternated at the computer.

2. To pass back and forth from one state, action, or place to another: alternated between happiness and depression.

3. Electricity To reverse direction at regular intervals in a circuit.

v.tr.
1. To do or execute by turns.

2. To cause to alternate: alternated light and dark squares to form a pattern.

adj. (-nt)
1. Happening or following in turns; succeeding each other continuously: alternate seasons of the year.

See Usage Note at alternative

2. Designating or relating to every other one of a series: alternate lines.

Serving or used in place of another; substitute: an alternate plan.

not correct as alternate (alternative)

4. Botany
a. Arranged singly at each node, as leaves or buds on different sides of a stem.

b. Arranged regularly between other parts, as stamens between petals.

n. (-nt)
1. A person acting in the place of another; a substitute.

2. An alternative.

Ewart 2014-11-23 18:15:08 

In reply to JamMack

Vulcan is right on this. "Alternative" means a second plan or something that is available when the first one fails. They are not really equal. Alternative is like a plan B. But A is always better.

"Alternate," on the other hand, and as explained above, is something that is there all the time and in (equal) co-existence, so to speak, with something else. Think of alternating current which ebbs and flows all the time.

In the meantime, you didn't help yourself with this one either!

I think my choice of words were correct. Look it up.

It is not words that is the subject of the sentence; it is "my choice." Hence the verb must be "was."

//