The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

How Ironic as an Opening Batsman....

WestDem 2014-11-27 08:33:58 

you tell yuh teammates dat I am not OUTING today....dem haffi tek me off dat pitch on a stretcher...Well Phil Hughes actually mek dat a sad reality! sad

I have opened batting fuh more than 25 years without a helmet until a few years back when Lawson ran into me and a short ball came at my rib cage and while fending it off....ball hit my glove and bat was nowhere near ball....at that moment I asked for a helmet and since then, I disliked opening batting....this is a serious game!

Face up all de Guyanese paces during the 80's without FEAR or understanding the danger I was exposing myself to...got knocked over a few times and sometimes, they were very freaky but the trophy I carry today are very lengthy and visible!

Are there opening batsmen on this MB that care to reminisce about the adventure of opening batting?

Narper 2014-11-27 09:37:01 

In reply to WestDem

Good you choose to wear a helmet now bhai.

I also saw Daxie on another thread say he will always wear a helmet from now on...regardless of the pace of the bowler

For me...I played low level cricket in my youth days...but now I only watch cricket these dayswink

WestDem 2014-11-27 09:59:22 

In reply to Narper

Aakash Chopra ✔@cricketaakash

Which batsman isn't hit on the head a couple of times in his career? This could've been me... #shaken #PhillipHughes408 #63notoutforever
Collapse

Helmet or no cricket fuh from now on!

Bigzinc 2014-11-27 10:20:07 

In reply to WestDem

I was the the opening bowler and used to wear a helmet big grin

ThinEdge 2014-11-27 10:36:56 

I have opened batting from most of my school days cricket playing for QC. Now playing House cricket at QC those days was a task -facing up to the Charles brother, Colwin Cort, Lloyd Sutherland etc...

Then playing for DCC nets could be dangerous - Zegger pelting at you...Bimby (Linden Joseph)

Once I started playing in NY and helmets were available I have NEVER batted without a helmet.

As a 'keeper I've never kept up to the wicket without a helmet.

I always valued my safety - I plead and beg my team mates to bat with helmets...even to spinners - a mistimed top edge could rocket into your head.

I was at Everest when Sudesh Dhaniram got smacked in the head during trials - probably one of the best young opening bats in the Caribbean at that time. Thankfully his injuries were not life threatening ...but he was never the same batsman since.

Safety first gentlemen

CricketLuva4 2014-11-27 10:43:43 

In reply to WestDem

I open, I always wear a helmet, unless it's hot and the slower bowlers are on, then I switch to a hat.

Personally I'm not worried as much about a blow from the bouncer as I am about a top edge into the face.

Babylon 2014-11-27 10:54:13 

In reply to WestDem
this is not about u bro get a grip

doublecentury 2014-11-27 11:10:53 

Philip Hughes was wearing a helmet

Thanks for a post about yourself. Very instructive.

uton 2014-11-27 11:13:10 

In reply to ThinEdge

Bimby (Linden Joseph)

That guy had serious pace.

WestDem 2014-11-27 11:16:11 

A very special hi to my two biatches....fuh allyuh its always about me!!! lol lol