The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Samuels is the best batsman we've got.

smuggler 2015-04-19 07:26:41 

People speak so much rubbish on this board. I am convinced a lot of folks here are mad or just malicious. How can they forget the brilliant innings Samuel have produced even against the best bowlers in the world.

I must say there is an unbelievable increase in the amount of crap being posted here in the last month.

Halliwell 2015-04-19 07:35:45 

In reply to smuggler

Dwayne Smith played a blinder against SA
Call him too den

brians_da_best 2015-04-19 07:51:17 

In reply to smuggler

The man bats too irresponsibly to ever be someone we can depend upon.

For all those 'many' great innings he has played, he still has a very average record.

Samuels, at this stage of his career, should be rated amongst the best batsmen in the world, along with Sarwan.

But they both underachievers. Sarwan is miles ahead of Samuels, even then

Chrissy 2015-04-19 08:09:53 

In reply to smuggler

Well then dawg nyam we suppa.

unitsypher 2015-04-19 08:21:22 

In reply to brians_da_best

The man bats too irresponsibly to ever be someone we can depend upon.
Name one batsman on the team barring a 40 year old Chanderpaul won't doesn't bat irresponsible?

don't tell me you now think Blackwood is a better batsman?

Samuels career has been nothing like Sarwan's!!!! Sarwan was healthy and consistently in the team during his prime while Samuels was always injured and once finally healthy banned for some BS because our own panel of jackasses didn't have the balls to stand up for him.

He has always been a good allround player for us!

uton 2015-04-19 08:24:16 

Cocaine will blow your brain but the Sensimillia is irie.

smuggler 2015-04-19 08:35:18 

In reply to Chrissy

Dawg was nyaming we supper even with Brian Lara in the team.

smuggler 2015-04-19 08:38:22 

In reply to Halliwell

You comparing Dwayne Smith's one good score to Samuel who has score a plethora of great scores. Mate you not right in your head.

hotarobin 2015-04-19 08:38:45 

In reply to smuggler

We should keep someone with such immense talent in the team and have his example of fantastic attitude and approach to the game simply groom those junior to him.

It would be great to see all of the West Indian batsmen striving to emulate Marlon Samuels in every aspect of their game....then and only then we will have a team capable of achieving #1 status...

smuggler 2015-04-19 08:42:55 

In reply to hotarobin

Steups. You think Samuels is the only one with attitude problems in this team ?

I repeat, Samuels is the best batsman that we have.

jacksprat 2015-04-19 08:52:59 

Some people harbor such venom toward Samuels that they seem to be oblivious to reality.

-The last time West Indies played England Samuels was Man of the Series;

-He followed up with a similarly outstanding series against New Zealand;

-With Gayle & Narine, Samuels was largely responsible for West Indies winning the T20 World cup;

-Samuels was the outstanding performer against India just a few months ago;

-He was the leading run-getter and averaged 53 runs in our most recent test series...against South Africa

Now some are ready to kill Samuels after one bad performance. I expect this from idiots like Larr with their own agenda but not from those who are supposed to know better!!!!

Runs 2015-04-19 09:04:15 

In reply to jacksprat

Tell them bro batting is about delivering not personality or popularity lol Dwayne Smith may be the nicest guy but he seldom delivers

nick2020 2015-04-19 09:17:22 

In reply to jacksprat

Stop being so insular.

People ain't want to kill Samuels because of a bad performance; when he had a ton with Gayle people here cuss he then too.

What I would love to see you do is justify that dunce shot he played, his poor fielding, and general apathetic approach.

Samuels needs a psychologist. I blame the system for not trying to help him. Sad cuz we really need his talent but could do with his baggage.

Walco 2015-04-19 09:22:36 

In reply to smuggler

I must say there is an unbelievable increase in the amount of crap being posted here in the last month.

I disagree. The amount of crap posted on this board has been constant over the years, especially during and shortly after West Indies matches smile smile

unitsypher 2015-04-19 09:25:40 

In reply to hotarobin
Last I checked this thread was about batting and not who is choir boy!

He is the best player on the team full stop, like it or not this cannot be argued!!!

Courtesy 2015-04-19 09:29:46 

In reply to unitsypher

So why does Shiv Chanderpaul command a number three spot on the ICC test ranking and has been featured in the top ten from time immemorial, while Samuels is no where in sight.

Don't know the answer to this question. I'll be delighted to be informed of any reason or reasons.

unitsypher 2015-04-19 09:34:02 

In reply to Courtesy

Don't stress the stats, watch the effect he has on the matches! When teams get Chanderpaul out they are almost disappointed to do so, after all who will occupy one end for them to just bowl maidens after maidens at?

Its like comparing Rahul Dravid to Brian Lara. Dravid has more impressive stats but who did teams fear?

jacksprat 2015-04-19 09:37:54 

In reply to nick2020
Do you really know the meaning of insular?

I have defended Lara against similar crap by fools like Larr and others. Does that make me an insular Trinidadian? I have similarly defended Sarwan. Does that make me an insular Guyanese?

My opinion is that Nikita Miller does not belong anywhere near a West Indies team despite his impressive FC performance. I guess that make me ant--Jamaican

I never saw Samuels last innings but why would I, or anyone else, try to justify a 'dunce shot', as you describe it, by Samuels or anyone else? rolleyes

Have you been following the discussing here? Even before Samuels had played a single innings in the series some were calling for him to be dropped so evidently this animus had nothing to do with this series

methodic 2015-04-19 09:38:20 

In reply to smuggler

Listen! we often fall in love with talent and flamboyance. If the West Indies want to rise we have to put those days behind. We have to create an environment where players are rewarded for performance and consistency. Look at the batting average over the last ten years of the top 5 batsmen in all top teams and you will see it is around 45 or upwards. Samuels has been playing test cricket now for 15 years and his average is 35. Anybody with talent will have some standout performances after 15 years. At 35 if he ain't right now, he is not going to be right again. I will drop he and Smith in the morning.

Ray123 2015-04-19 09:41:43 

Yes Samuels had made some runs, no one is denying that but it's his attitude to the game that worries ppl. With all the potential in world that don't carish, laid back attitude will always be his downfall and I would prefer the youngsters coming into the team not be exposed to that.

Courtesy 2015-04-19 09:42:13 

In reply to unitsypher

Don't stress the stats, watch the effect he has on the matches! When teams get Chanderpaul out they are almost disappointed to do so, after all who will occupy one end for them to just bowl maidens after maidens at?

Its like comparing Rahul Dravid to Brian Lara. Dravid has more impressive stats but who did teams fear?

I must admit that I never looked at your expert analysis from this perspective. In future, I will not trust the ICC test ranking. It is rubbish.

With regard to your statement that test teams being almost disappointed (whatever this means) when they get Chanderpaul out, it is bang on.

Continue exposing the ICC test ranked # 3 batsman.

From now on I'll take a deeper interest in your expert opinions here.

rubberd 2015-04-19 09:55:08 

In reply to Ray123

With Samuels it is a confidence thing. His swagger has been missing ever since he nearly lost that eye in Aussie big bash. Just watch the difference in his approach to pace & spin.

hotarobin 2015-04-19 09:59:37 

In reply to smuggler

But I am agreeing with you bro...Samuels is the best and I wish all Windes bats to emulate him in every way posible...I thought that you would be happy with that...

I think the problem is that we are too ungrateful....we need to just support Samuels and everything that he brings to the game...

Cleg 2015-04-19 10:00:43 

In reply to Chrissy

Well then dawg nyam we suppa.

You are one of the large majority that loves cricket ...

...but know very little about it.

You hate Samuels ....mainly because he ran out Lara.

I know you wont believe it ....but BCL`s attitude was just as bad as Samuels,or maybe even worse.

hairline1 2015-04-19 10:06:23 

Samuels is A solid batsman. His only problem is he plays every format in 20/20 mind-set. But If you're chasing runs to win A holder/ Samuels partnership could have won the first test.

methodic 2015-04-19 10:07:04 

In reply to smuggler

Samuels is the best batsman we've got.

That statement and announcement is derived from an analysis that supports a team ranked 8th in the world for the better part of a decade. The only reason Samuels is not the worst player in the team is because Smith was selected.

DS Smith ave 23
M Samuels ave 35

These are the best batsmen in the West Indies
S Chanderpaul ave 52
J Blackwood ave 48
D Bravo ave 43
J Holder ave 39
L Johnson ave 39
k Brathwaite ave 37
S Hope
S Dowrich

That talk Dujon talking about there is nobody pushing the batsmen in the side is bullshite. The selectors are not pushing the batsmen in the side. By the way the classiest batsman in the West Indies is Dowrich.

Dan_De_Lyan 2015-04-19 10:18:40 

In reply to Cleg

but know very little about it. 

Covah drive! Nobody move big grin

rubberd 2015-04-19 10:22:32 

In reply to hairline1

There was no winning of the first test England could have shut it down anytime.

Because Cook is struggling as a batsman he is also struggling as a captain, he was never "all in" with his field setting and bowling choices.

bimbo 2015-04-19 10:34:05 

Samuels has always been a difficult character to manage and lead. From as early as his under 15 days in the Jamaican team captained by Tamar Lambert they were issues and misunderstandings.

Bringing him into the West Indies team during that horid tour to Australia in 2000 may have been the worst thing that happened to him.

I dont know but i also get the feeling he plays better under certain types of leaders. He appeared to be coming in to his own under Hooper and regressed when Lara got back the captaincy.

He scored a half century versus Australia in 2003 and was promptly dropped the next match.

hotarobin 2015-04-19 10:42:28 

In reply to bimbo

thanks for your commentary but how does that help answer the question about what to do with Samuels?

bimbo 2015-04-19 10:45:09 

In reply to hotarobin

Drop him. Let him kool himself.

Just kidding. Samuels is still one of our best batsmen for the last 3 years or so.

unitsypher 2015-04-19 11:35:50 

In reply to Courtesy

Glad we agree wink

Pacy 2015-04-19 12:42:20 

In reply to Cleg

I know you wont believe it ....but BCL`s attitude was just as bad as Samuels,or maybe even worse.

Lara has a great understanding of the game and can suit his game for the team... Sammuels cannot understand the game and has never been part of any team. He was always an individual playing in the team.

smuggler 2015-04-19 12:50:18 

In reply to methodic

So Devon better than Samuels now ?

Blackwood Braithwaite and Holder better than Samuels ? Dude go to bed or something cause you not being logical.

hotarobin 2015-04-19 15:17:56 

In reply to smuggler

don't mind him Smuggler...he just chatting nonsense...everyone on this here MB knows that Samuels is the only batting hope West Indies has at the moment...we should be thankful for his contributions whenever they come...

matter of fact Marlon should not be allowed to wipe his own butt...one of his understudies should be tasked with that honor...

methodic 2015-04-19 16:03:44 

In reply to smuggler

can you read? are you capable of understanding a logical argument. You call yourself smuggler. What did you ever smuggle? A real smuggler have to be a very very bright person that deal with the reality of facts and situations. They understand actions and consequences because they in the front line. Your argument is probably bias but definitely sentimental. Smugglers don't deal with sentiments. By your logic I advice you to give up the fantasy of being a smuggler. Accept the reality that your thinking is more relative to a mule. A smuggler uses a mule.

embsallie 2015-04-19 16:12:11 

Samuels is a talented batsman I will give you that.
But that means nothing because of his selfish and "me" attitude.
This prima donna is a lazy SOB who craves attention and consistently blame others for his woes.

I hope he continues in that vein so he can be dropped for good.
There are a lot of other young but humble batsmen willing to put TEAM ahead of themselves.

Cameron 2015-04-19 16:19:26 

The "batting manual" title notwithstanding, Marlon is a poor example for budding batsmen. He is clearly hugely talented, but his foot movement is poor. The reason he is averaging 35 rather than 50 comes down to technique. If he was more technically correct, given his great hand-eye coordination and ability to time the ball, he would be a much better contributor to the team, and a much better example for young players.