The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Johnson "cah bat" Charles is

Wasp 2016-08-28 14:27:37 

showing up for his new captain big grin

eric365 2016-08-28 15:35:25 

In reply to Wasp

As I have always stated ever since I first saw him, Charles is the poor man VIv. He needs a lot of cricket in all conditions, especially England, to really grow. His hand-eye coordination is second to none and so is his bat speed. If he learns to play spin he will be a handful.

jen 2016-08-28 17:25:01 

In reply to eric365

I does always say ever since, Charles is our most fearless batsman. Seen him against raw pace, never afraid to unleash the pull shot even against the fastest and does pull it off. Hand eye coordination as you say is second to none. To me Charles biggest downfall is his mentality. Use to premeditate too much. Ah notice this season since after World T20, he holding his shape better and standing and hitting instead of backing away and getting bowl down as often as he did.

BeatDball 2016-08-28 18:20:06 

When I had seen jc n abb vs the Aussies awhile back, I had then said to myself, `yes. WI now have two young indomitable openers`.

Wasp 2016-08-28 18:58:36 

When he get set he out player a slack shot and try to do something cute. He has been some what unlucky and should play the game to his strengths. Any time he stray for the normal he out real ugly.

But he been in good form lately and that nice to see. It could be because he is playing a lot more cricket. The T20 world cup, tri nation, cpl and this tour. So high seeing high level of cricket.

voiceofreason 2016-08-28 19:41:20 

In reply to Wasp

Yeah Boy. Man of the series. Who needs Gayle when you got Johnson Charles. smile

archangel 2016-08-28 21:41:58 

In reply to Wasp

Charles has improved since he started.
If he is going well from the start and doesn't get bogged down, then he is fine. If he gets bogged down, then he pulls out the pre meditated shot which usually get him in trouble. Teams can set him up that way.

When he just started that pre meditated shot would come out early in the piece and was just random.

Tagwa1 2016-08-29 17:35:14 

in addition to all of the above...

He has also become hard to bowl to.

At the start at the innings Pacers are looking to settle down as much as batsmen. If someone is hitting you before you get your length in it can be very unsettling.

Unlike Gayle, who takes a bit to settle in, Charles goes from Ball One and he has an array of shots so bowlers find it hard to hide.

Kudos Kid.

Wasp 2016-08-31 18:00:32 

Charles climbs to number 30 in the world in T20 cool

only gayle and sameuls are the only two Wi cricketers ahead of him.

Not bad for a so called non batter big grin