The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

The night I nearly met Donald Trump...

Ewart 2016-10-22 23:07:39 

Studio 54 was a nightclub for the rich and famous in New York where the music was cutting edge (Bee Gees, Donna Summer, Michael Jackson, Chic and others of the 1970-1980 Disco era), the ambience was frenetic as lighted columns like huge phalluses rose and plunged unrepentantly to the coloured glass floor in sync with the disco rhythm, and coke flowed freely to the well-heeled.

Into this cauldron of carefree opulent wastrels I found myself one night in 1980. One of them was Donald Trump. This is how it appeared in my book To Follow Right – A Journalist’s Journey:

New York is probably the best market in the world; whatever you want you can find in New York. And it is world-famous for its night-life though I never paid that much attention until the night when, out of the blue, the opportunity came to visit the then famous night spot of all night spots.

The nightclub’s publicly visible frontman was the flamboyant Steve Rubell. The celebrities present on opening night included Mick Jagger, Liza Minnelli, Jerry Hall, Debbie Harry, Brooke Shields, newlyweds Donald and Ivana Trump, and many others. Hundreds scrambled to gain entry but only a few got past the door.

The next week Rubell opened the nightclub on a Monday night for Bianca Jagger's 27th birthday party. She reportedly entered on a white horse and the resulting publicity firmly established Studio 54 as the nightclub for celebrities including Michael Jackson, Rudolf Nureyev, Rod Stewart, Pelé, Suzanne Somers, Truman Capote, Margaret Trudeau, John Travolta, Jackie Onassis, Elizabeth Taylor, Björn Borg, Farrah Fawcett, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, Bette Davis, Al Pacino, Zsa Zsa and Eva Gabor, Dolly Parton, Hugh Hefner, Sophia Loren, John F. Kennedy Jr., Eartha Kitt, and Lillian Carter, the mother of President Jimmy Carter.

On the night my party was allowed in, Bianca Jagger was there. Trump was there too, but I only learnt that after we left. Not that it would have mattered to me.

//

Chrissy 2016-10-23 07:23:41 

In reply to Ewart

Nice lol

FanAttick 2016-10-23 07:39:01 

In reply to Ewart

Consider yourself lucky. You could have been forcibly groped... lol

bravos 2016-10-23 12:26:02 

In reply to Ewart

I met Mick Jagger on that list... cool

Fact Trump btw..

bravos 2016-10-23 12:26:26 

In reply to FanAttick

Or worse..

Ewart 2016-10-23 14:29:35 

In reply to Chrissy

big grin

//

Ewart 2016-10-23 14:30:47 

In reply to FanAttick

Indeed!

shock razz big grin

//

Ewart 2016-10-23 14:31:30 

In reply to bravos

cool

//

pelon 2016-10-23 20:47:16 

In reply to Ewart

Legendary 'stardust' fueled place in the 70's - not exactly the spot I had the esteemed eminence that is you visiting. Of course though, you went for the music.

I suspect you had no idea of all the debauchery that went on inside - but had the curiosity to try to visit on multiple occasions.

On the night my party was allowed in
lol lol lol lol lol

Bravos and I have a side bet: "Platform shoes modest afro, but no sideburns." is 7 - 1 odds.

Have a smile. razz lol

Ewart 2016-10-24 18:55:37 

In reply to pelon

Esteemed eminence! shock shock lol

Bwaaaahahaaa....

But then again, life is funny. And it is true that I heard about the stardust and debauchery afterwards. But it was quite and experience nevertheless....

//

pelon 2016-10-24 21:13:20 

In reply to Ewart

lol lol lol

powen001 2016-10-25 12:38:48 

In reply to FanAttick

lol lol lol

powen001 2016-10-25 12:39:40 

In reply to pelon

I confess that I was in the US when Trump University was up and running..well not running but there...

I was almost seduced to be duped!!

pelon 2016-10-25 13:38:39 

In reply to powen001

I was almost seduced to be duped!!

I hear you smile HORRIBLE MAN!!!!

You remind be of a dear friend that got into Amway and its Quixtar hybrid. Then Elector distracted his "curiosity"...

These "schemes" to get you wealthy all have a glass ceiling. At the same time, they target a very specific type of personality too.

How can I be nice here: gullible is not the (polite) word, more like "trusting in integrity of others" and their schemes.

Most Timeshare is a classic example. A worthless deed, packaged and sold as a dream!

powen001 2016-10-25 13:51:52 

In reply to pelon

Thing is...

I honestly believed it to be set up to impart strategy etc...and above board...that's until I asked questions and realized basic stuff was missing...

I didn't bother to register...

the Pitch was spot on...but always look that gift horse in the mouth mate...

pelon 2016-10-25 14:06:34 

In reply to powen001

I see all of those "opportunities" as a distraction, and most straight up bullshit. Amway is a classic example of well polished pyramid bullshit.

Could never get a second of my time.

camos 2016-10-25 14:34:59 

In reply to Ewart

And it is world-famous for its night-life though I never paid that much attention until the night when, out of the blue, the opportunity came to visit the then famous night spot of all night spots.

I remember that place ,getting in for ordinary folks was like been selected for a part in a movie.I think the owners eventually went to prison for tax evasion.

Ewart 2016-10-25 18:04:08 

In reply to camos

I think the owners eventually went to prison for tax evasion.

Yes, they did... See further extract:

At the nightclub's prime, Rubell became widely known for hand-selecting guests from the always huge crowds outside, mixing beautiful "nobodies" with glamorous celebrities.

And that is the context in which I got in – as a “beautiful nobody.”

Of course, the entry of the group I was in had been carefully orchestrated beforehand and although we waited outside for a long time, the door was eventually opened to us. Once inside, it took me some time to get my bearings.

The place was painted black but still bore all the trappings of a studio with rows of floodlights and spots everywhere. The dance floor itself was glass or plastic a-glitter with lights of many colours shining from below. And huge cylindrical columns rose up and down and twisted and turned continually, monstrous phallic symbols adorned with twinkling and glowing lights.

The music was as party and current as you would want; as I remember the night featured John Travolta’s big hits “Staying Alive,” and “Saturday Night Fever,” Chic’s “Le Freak” and several hits by Donna Summer, the Bee Gees and The Police. And Bianca Jagger was there that night; at least I recognised one celebrity!

It was not very long after that Studio 54 closed and its principals jailed for tax evasion. But it was very much the centre of New York night life at the time. So I’d had my hour of fame.

//