Message Board Archives

Police put 6 year old girl in handcuffs

JahJah 2017-02-03 05:18:08 

in Mississauga, ON, Canada.

camos 2017-02-03 07:47:46 

In reply to JahJah

In Canada?

Ayenmol 2017-02-03 09:11:34 

If the school had to call police on this child a THIRD time! Am willing to understand the possibility that this was justified. Of course the article focuses on her view of police, how about the teachers view of her since they have resorted to calling the police on this child!

When she is tells her mother don't look at the police who has pulled someone over, that rings not of fearful caution, but a dominant attitude over her mother.

In any case. The teachers calling police says it all!

camos 2017-02-03 10:23:18 

In reply to Ayenmol

teacher calling the police is probably the written protocol, what's alarming here is police putting a 6 year old "GIRL" in cuffs!

Drapsey 2017-02-03 10:30:09 

In reply to camos

teacher calling the police is probably the written protocol, what's alarming here is police putting a 6 year old "GIRL" in cuffs!

Cuffs are a little over the top for a misbehaving 6 year-old girl. I'm sure they could've found something more girly like a rubber-band to restrain her. At least it would've stretched when she tried to resist.

Kay 2017-02-03 10:43:09 

In reply to Drapsey

smile

Ayenmol 2017-02-03 11:12:21 

In reply to camos

Isn't that the point? They have taken all the power from the Schools to discipline and asked the Police to deal with it, now they are complaining about how the police deal with it!

What's next? Kids will be allowed to run tings?

Drapsey 2017-02-03 11:22:55 

In reply to Ayenmol

Don't stop at the schools, the parents' hands are tied too.

Years ago I predicted that when this latest generation become adults (or even teenagers), their preferred entertainment will be kicking away the walking sticks supporting those of our generation. It wasn't long after that I read about the 'knockout game' being played in New York.

These kids are growing up without discipline!

camos 2017-02-03 12:37:18 

In reply to Ayenmol

You don't expect a more enlightened approach from a police department, if police are tasked with such duties should they not have a specialized unit with the appropriate skills to handle such situations? You don't send sharp shooters to
prevent a guy from jumping from a building!

Devin 2017-02-03 12:54:23 

Put her dumb ass in jail. They aren't too young these days.

TheTrail 2017-02-03 13:26:33 

The incident took place inside Nahani Way Public School in the area of Kennedy Road and Eglinton Avenue East around the end of September 2016.

The school described the girl’s behavior as violent and said they contacted Peel Regional Police to deescalate the situation.

Why would Peel Regional Police be involved?

Is there a Eglinton Ave East and Kennedy Road in the West?

Just asking.

nitro 2017-02-03 13:27:18 

In reply to Devin

A 6 year old?

camos 2017-02-03 13:42:06 

In reply to nitro

you figure out who is the dumb one?

wink

Devin 2017-02-03 13:42:23 

In reply to TheTrail

I was wondering the same thing. I'm only 10 minutes north of that location. Maybe she lives in the peel region.

Devin 2017-02-03 13:44:14 

In reply to nitro

If you do the crime, you do the time.

I kid, I kid. She's six, Jesus.

Chrissy 2017-02-03 14:08:51 

Disgusting - no six year old should be in handcuffs - please.

granite 2017-02-03 14:22:30 

In reply to Devin
My thoughts exactly,put their little backsides in cuffs and hands and feet if necessary,many kids are a reflection of their parents.I have friends who are teachers and the stories they tell about 6 year olds are hard to believe.I knew a family who lived on the same road as I did,their 6 year old daughter told me and a friend,"you lot will die from AIDS",her exact words.She is now about 20 and has 4 kids,unmarried of course,what do you think her kids would be,nice little angels,I think not.Make them know what the law means...from young.

positiveg 2017-02-03 14:58:12 

In reply to JahJah

You know this si the first time I've heard the term African- Canadian.
Now back to the mater at hand, when I clicked the link I knew the child had to be black,
So now they handcuffing 6 year old black kids. wow we seem like a threat to the human race. CRAZY

black 2017-02-03 15:08:24 

Very stupid.

ray 2017-02-03 15:30:55 

Lots of complaining, but no one suggesting what should have been done to calm down this child....well, someone di say use a rubber band... lol

The thing is you cannot grab and hold her down (physical abuse), you cannot spank her (physical abuse), you can't even give her a severe threat(shut your little mouth and behave before you get one slap pon yuh head)...what exactly can you do to stop this kid from acting out?

Maybe she will learn a lesson not to misbehave after this...

Kay 2017-02-03 16:33:30 

In reply to Devin

I was wondering the same thing. I'm only 10 minutes north of that location. Maybe she lives in the peel region.

There is an Eglinton Ave. E and Kennedy Rd intersection in Mississauga too......

Kay 2017-02-03 16:40:21 

Though the situation is unusual, Colley said police have been called to the school twice before for "similar occurrences" involving the same student.

Article

JahJah 2017-02-03 17:02:25 

In reply to camos

you figure out who is the dumb one?

Not only dumb but quite the bigot.

A 6 year old. I'm deading with laff (though it's no laughing matter) at the people thinking that is the way you treat a 6 year old.

JahJah 2017-02-03 17:04:14 

In reply to Chrissy

Disgusting - no six year old should be in handcuffs - please.

Sub-human, I'd say.

JahJah 2017-02-03 17:05:30 

granite is painting a broad brush on females who have a bunch of kids young then gets a hissy fit when people use their brushes on Muslims.

Ayenmol 2017-02-03 18:49:14 

In reply to JahJah

Really? You stay there wid dat! You all think these are kids of yesteryear. My kid was in kindergarten to when she was inappropriately touched by some little child. Tell me where he got that idea from. He eh have one inkling of sexual drive but touching little girls. Man? This ain't the the 00's much less the 90's!

Things I learn in my late teens these kids know by five!

Doh underestimate these kids. You have more issues to deal wid and less options by which to do so!

People want police now to be everything! Parents, teachers, Doctor, therapist, everything! When will it stop?
To me this is like when the police have lost control and the National Guard is brought in! You think the guard is going to use police tactics?

granite 2017-02-03 19:07:37 

In reply to JahJah

Mate, I didn't read the whole thing and I honestly thought it was a white child.I would also like to point out, the girl Ispoke about is a white girl.I didn't mean to offend a race of people, my experiences though, tells me that white kids are the rudest of all and I honestly thought she was white or indeginous Indian.

Ayenmol 2017-02-03 19:25:11 

In reply to granite

Listen. I realize everyone is sensitive to issues regarding police and people of our race. I saw the picture of the child and thought she was Black. But not for one moment am I going to jump to a conclusion prematurely. Based on what I read, I am completely ok with the child being in cuffs, what else would they do?

I have had dealings with cops. Twice I had dealings with rude cops. One was white the other black. White trooper in Kentucky. Black copy here in Missouri.

They both behaved exactly the same!

Was involved in the first accident in my life yesterday! Side swiped a car. Dealt
with deputy Sheriff's, and the youngest trooper I have ever seen. The car I hit was a lily white lady, two very young kids in the back. Was treated with respect and dignity. Very cordial not one issue! I did not have my licence with me and was not even cited for that.

All police are not bad. Some are, some just have a bad day.

Emir 2017-02-03 19:25:38 

In reply to granite

Establishing appropriate punishment for children at school who cannot be controlled by school staff using routine and normal disciplinary measures is becoming a global problem.

Many children come from homes with violence, many are unloved at home, yet many others are ill.

What we do know is that police are not the answer as they are woefully untrained to handle children.

Putting handcuff in a child cannot be right and must be prohibited.

Perhaps, locking the child in a safe room until her parents or medical folks arrive, is more appropriate,

We cannot have uncontrollable children in the classroom nor can we have police handling out discipline with handcuffs for young children.

granite 2017-02-03 20:13:47 

In reply to Emir
I didn't want to go into that part of the problem because there is so much to say,I have friends and close relatives who are teachers,and the behaviour I am told is beyond shocking by 6 year olds,it's hard to believe.The problem is you can hardly touch them,I know a teacher who was sacked for trying to restrain a boy who was beating up another,that's the shit you must put up with.

granite 2017-02-03 20:19:19 

In reply to Ayenmol
I have been stopped a couple of times in London,routine stops it's called,all OK,just searched the car and asked where I was going etc,but it was racial profiling,I'm sure of that.

Devin 2017-02-03 21:29:33 

In reply to Kay

Cool

Devin 2017-02-03 21:31:29 

I don't know what black people have done to deserve this repeated treatment at the hands of law enforcement.

black 2017-02-03 21:40:01 

In reply to Ayenmol

Based on what I read, I am completely ok with the child being in cuffs, what else would they do?

Dude, you don't cuff a 6 year old.

That kid cannot be charged with anything, so why cuff her?

Ayenmol 2017-02-03 22:07:19 

In reply to black

You are so simplistic in your thought process it is ridiculous! You do realise that handcuffs are an instrument of restraint, right? What on earth does being arrested have to do with it?

Dude, you don't cuff a 6 year old.

Wrong! I guess the fact that they did means nothing to you. As usual, wrong on facts!

black 2017-02-03 22:18:03 

In reply to Ayenmol

Is that the best way to restrain her?

When the cops make a decision to cuff/arrest someone, it's because they are being charged, they don't cuff them for the hell of it.

Ayenmol 2017-02-03 22:23:04 

In reply to black

WRONG!!!!!

Cops are trained to handcuff a subject who pose a risk to them or the zpublic on arrival to a scene. Even before a determination of whether laws are broken is made. That is why you see it happen so often in domestic violence cases, a drunk subject, or when a female officer is dealing with a situation with a stronger subject!

Just because an officer places you in handcuffs doesn't mean you are under arrest. However, unless he or she tells you that you are under arrest, the officer should have an objectively reasonable justification for handcuffing you and putting you in the car. Some examples might be there is only one of them and two or three of you, so there is a legitimate safety concern. Or, in the case of an assault, the responding officers may handcuff and place both parties in different cars for their own safety while they sort things out. But, this detention can only last as long as is necessary for the officers to figure out what is going on. After that, they need to arrest one or both of you, issue one or both of you citations, let one or both of you go, or some combination. You can't be handcuffed and placed in the back of a car just for convenience.

Here's more....
Generally handcuffs come into play in a non-official arrest (detainment) when there is a reasonable belief that the suspect (or person of interest, as the case may be) poses a risk to himself, officers or others. Here are a few examples:

* When officers are outnumbered by suspects they may handcuff to maintain control of the scene

* When the suspect has made threats, threatening gestures, or assaulted an officer or other person

* When the officer believes the suspect may have weapons or might attempt to destroy evidence if the opportunity presents itself

Handcuffs are generally a tool used to help officers maintain control of the scene of an incident. Most law enforcement policies give officers a great deal of latitude in the use of restraints to maintain control.

When an officer is called to school for a child why do you think that is? Is it not for control? Which is why this whole law is silly! You are bringing a trained professional in to deal with a child in the manner he would anot adult! Let the teachers deal with unruly kids in the manner necessary!

black 2017-02-03 22:32:53 

In reply to Ayenmol

Ok, so what danger a 6 year old pose to an officer?

Ayenmol 2017-02-03 22:39:00 

In reply to black

Steeeuuuuppps, dude you are the worst! You see how unreasonable you are? It does not matter what the subject, you get fixated on one singular idea aND refuse to adjust your thinking regardless.

You are fixated on cuffs as an instrument of arrest! Police are not trained to deal with kids! Nor should they!

black 2017-02-03 22:45:51 

In reply to Ayenmol

Police are not trained to deal with kids! Nor should they!

So why call them?

Ayenmol 2017-02-03 22:55:49 

In reply to Drapsey

Cuffs are a little over the top for a misbehaving 6 year-old girl. I'm sure they could've found something more girly like a rubber-band to restrain her. At least it would've stretched when she tried to resist.

I realise you were being facetious but imagine how flawed that approach is. A rubber band can dig into the flesh of the child and leave serious lacerations. She could bite through it causing it to snap and take out her eye or causing serious swelling to whatever part of the body it ricochets off....not a good idea, is it? Hold her down? Worse! Stand by and watch her throw things until she decides to calm down? What if she throws something and hurts one of the kids, or teachers or officers?

People like to get hung up on things because of some mental block, not allowing themselves to think through a situation before jumping to an emotional side!

Ayenmol 2017-02-03 23:04:54 

Eureka! Tranq darts! That'll teach em!

methodic 2017-02-04 03:58:16 

In reply to Ayenmol

the article said the kid does not have this problem in after school, her new school or the boys and girls club. Could it be someone was terrorizing her?

JahJah 2017-02-04 04:48:05 

In reply to Devin

I don't know what black people have done to deserve this repeated treatment at the hands of law enforcement.

Ask the mental health worker that was shot while explaining that his white patient needs hs assistance and shouldn't hurt by the officer...all with his hands in the air....sitting down (if I remember correctly).

Better yet, ask the (shooting) officer who said "I don't know" when asked why he shot the man!

Ayenmol 2017-02-04 06:53:51 

In reply to methodic

It could. Could also mean that she learned her lesson. The article did mention this was the third time the police was called!

Also, I doubt that the cops were called because she acted up with one individual! Or for a brief period. You do not call the cops on your neighbors because they have a little quarrel. You do so because you hear things being smashed, screaming, etc for a period of time. Cops are not called because the child broke a law, steal for example. The cops are called when they are physically uncontrollable!

number09 2017-02-04 09:11:10 

maybe thats the discipline she needed. she will behave at school now.

cricketmad 2017-02-04 10:53:51 

Many of you posters really believe in using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Kay 2017-02-04 11:01:11 

In reply to methodic

the article said the kid does not have this problem in after school, her new school or the boys and girls club. Could it be someone was terrorizing her?

No terrorists involved .... it's called didaskaleinophobia

methodic 2017-02-04 11:31:13 

In reply to Ayenmol

she was attending some of these programs while she was at that school. Have any of you ever seen a situation where a child was picked on by a teacher and the teacher encouraged other students to pick on her? I have!

Ayenmol 2017-02-04 16:13:19 

In reply to methodic

I saw nothing in the article about that so....

XDFIX 2017-02-04 19:23:49 

Didn't Hercules kill a cobra snake at at 6?

They don't make 6-year-old tha same anymore?

The mother Jones said that if she was not an African-Canadian child he does not believe this incident would have taken place.

That is true, but something is happening in that poor child's life and I am betting some poor parenting going on!!

black 2017-02-04 20:10:30 

In reply to XDFIX

Didn't Hercules kill a cobra snake at at 6?

They don't make 6-year-old tha same anymore?

lol lol lol

Ridge 2017-02-24 11:47:58 

Are all those teachers telling lies on the girl?

camos 2017-02-26 17:02:10 

In reply to Ridge

Taliban also has justification for their actions!