The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

For Snoop:Want equality? Curtail free speech

djdrastic 2017-04-03 03:20:54 

On March 23, New Zealand awoke to the horrific news of yet another terrorist attack, this time in London.

A deranged individual ploughed a car into innocent pedestrians and brutally stabbed a police officer to death before being shot. Five people died, including the attacker.

The Twittersphere was soon abuzz with conjecture and accusation. Who was to blame? What were the motives?

I felt sick as I read comments saying “Islam is to blame” and “it must be another Muslim”.

The fact that the attacker was a Muslim is irrelevant. The issue is that Islamophobia was the first response.

If you are a Muslim, you continually have to defend your faith against people who accuse it of being a dangerous and violent set of ideas. Islam is the religion of peace; anyone who understands this knows it has no part in the ideology of ISIS.

Life is a constant fight for other minorities, too.

If you are a member of the LGBTQAA+ community, you must battle for your rights. You are forced to choose from just two bathroom choices when often you don’t fit either. Workplaces often fail to be inclusive to this community, refusing them places in the boardroom.

If you are a woman, trans or otherwise, there is no escape from rape culture. On any given day you might hear a rape joke, or be given a “compliment” such as being asked for your number by a stranger. The men who make these comments defend them as harmless, but unwanted harassment can trigger harmful flashbacks to previous similar incidents or experiences of sexual assault.

The misogynistic, homophobic, transphobic, Islamophobic hate speech directed at oppressed groups is damaging to society - and with the rise of Donald Trump’s brand of politics, it is also being legitimised.

So, what does this have to do with free speech? And how might things change for the better?

Well, there is some hope. The Canadian parliament has passed the M-103 motion, which calls on the government to condemn Islamophobia. It is the silver lining of a dark and depressing cloud, and it is something I think New Zealand should seek to not only emulate but improve.

Our Government should look to criminalise not only Islamophobia, but racist rhetoric and the criticism of feminism and LGBTQAA+ rights.

Free speech is all well and good, but it should not be defended at the expense of minority groups.

Nothing quells fear and hatred like making it illegal, and if we stop opposing progressive values then surely the constant fighting will stop too.

New Zealand is not a place of tolerance at the moment, but I believe if we curtail free speech, we will be on the path to a fairer future.

Link Text

SnoopDog 2017-04-03 11:30:44 

In reply to djdrastic

but I believe if we curtail free speech, we will be on the path to a fairer future.

That right there, is what I call and refer to as "Regressive Liberalism".

These fcuking cunts are advocating for political correctness to triumph over one of the most precious and valuable civil liberties of our modern secular society.

ray 2017-04-03 11:48:38 

In reply to SnoopDog

SHould there be limits to free specch?

SnoopDog 2017-04-03 12:03:36 

In reply to ray

If you don't know the answer to that question then you're just as ignorant and uninformed as every Trump voter and every regressive liberal who calls for the "curtailing" of free speech and freedom of expression for the sake of political correctness.

ray 2017-04-03 12:06:06 

In reply to SnoopDog

Should someone be allowed to preach hatred and the elimination of others?

SnoopDog 2017-04-03 12:30:12 

In reply to ray

Should someone be allowed to preach hatred and the elimination of others?

What do you think Einstein?