The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Will you live longer

black 2017-05-18 11:06:48 

if you avoid meats? Forget about the animal rights part of it, is a meat free diet healthier?

Is a diet consisting of fruits, vegetables, grains and nuts healthier?

SnoopDog 2017-05-18 11:12:27 

In reply to black

But you still have to cross the road Bro. lol

black 2017-05-18 11:15:38 

In reply to SnoopDog

Very true. lol

SnoopDog 2017-05-18 11:30:19 

In reply to black

The issue isn't whether meat or veggies is good or bad for you. It's whether you eat in excess.

If you stuff your face with McDonalds every day you're working very hard on an imminent fatal heart attack. However, if you eat that stuff once every three months it won't do any harm to you.

black 2017-05-18 11:35:54 

In reply to SnoopDog

True, but for the people that don't abuse food, who will be healthier, the person that avoids meats or the meat eater?

SnoopDog 2017-05-18 11:50:44 

In reply to black

It's not that simple in my opinion. Genetics play a crucial role in our health. Some people can eat healthy all they want but their genes says they will get diabetes, heart disease, or any other ailment from hereditary. Then you have those fcukers who eat whatever they want and still have six pack abs or toned legs. lol

But generally I would say that it's better to eat a well balanced meal at least once a day. Meats included.

pelon 2017-05-18 11:52:25 

In reply to black

Genetics plays a huge role. LDL cholesterol rely on HDLs to transport them to the liver . Your DNA is unique. MONITOR YOUR stats. You *could* eat meat and live to 100 or you could be a Vegan and drop tomorrow.

Arterial Plaque build up is definitely helped - correction - worsened - by PROCESSED FOODS. This group of foods includes bacon, sausage, deli meats, burgers etc. They come packed with the saturated fat that increases your cholesterol levels, and they also contain sodium, a mineral that increases your blood pressure, which in turn promotes atherosclerosis.

black 2017-05-18 12:07:21 

In reply to SnoopDog and pelon

You are both right, meats are not bad for you, in fact our bodies need nutrients and some fats from meats. The problem is the availability of meats, back in the day we had to hunt for meat, now it's readily available and stored in our freezers. Sausages are nothing but scrap meats, including fats and additives, that are used to enhance taste.

All things being equal, the person that eats meat in moderation will be healthier. My personal opinion.

pelon 2017-05-18 12:20:43 

In reply to black

All things being equal, the person that eats meat in moderation will be healthier. My personal opinion.

Modified to :
All things being equal, the person that eats unprocessed meat in moderation will be healthier. My personal opinion.

Interestingly we had this discussion last week... about cheaper foods being the processed crap....

black 2017-05-18 12:27:51 

In reply to pelon

Yes, slightly different subject though.

black 2017-05-18 12:36:15 

In reply to pelon

Would you say that we are addicted to meat because of additives/preservatives?

SnoopDog 2017-05-18 12:43:23 

In reply to black

We are natural carnivores. We have evolved to have big brains because our ancestors consumed meat. Meat eating is in our DNA.

I hate the fact that some religions like Hinduism and Islam have put strict prohibitions and taboos on eating meat. Either altogether or from certain animals. Take Hinduism for example. It is positively wicked and evil to tell poor people that they should not consume delicious, nutritious and readily available meat from the cow. The idea that the cow is sacred, and should not be butchered and eaten, but the deer or the pig isn't, is beyond stupid in my opinion.

black 2017-05-18 12:49:08 

In reply to SnoopDog

We are natural carnivores. We have evolved to have big brains because our ancestors consumed meat. Meat eating is in our DNA

True, humans have been omnivores from the beginning of our existence.

Don't get me started on the religious thing. lol

BeachBum 2017-05-18 13:30:49 

Don't twist the question. The question, was, is a vegetarian diet healthier? All things equal, would a vegetarian live longer?

The answer is YES. Studies have been done. When vegetarians added fish to their diet, the life span decreased. Add fish and chicken, it decreased even further. Add fish, chicken and meat, it decreased even further.

black 2017-05-18 13:39:32 

In reply to BeachBum

Studies have also shown that meats and some fats are essential to your diet
Unfortunately, people tend to overeat meat the most, that is where the problem lies. Like I said, if people eat meats (fish, beef, pork, etc.) in moderation, they will live healthier lives.

ProWI 2017-05-18 13:45:46 

Vegetarians live longer but..........

black 2017-05-18 14:51:13 

In reply to ProWI

I agree that vegetarians are more health conscious. You would be hard pressed to find a large group of moderate meat eaters in America, not with all the BBQ, Fish, and Chicken restaurants around.

BeachBum 2017-05-18 16:07:53 

In reply to black

The good thing about that study Pro cited is that everyone studied lived in the same area, had mostly the same lifestyle, and all of the same religion. So all things were more or less equal.