The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

My Solution to Rigid WI ODI Selection Policy..

sunfish 2017-05-20 14:24:07 

..Keep the current policy so that participating domestic ODI players are not ignored. However, add the following addendum.

"The coaching staff can request to the selection committee that at most TWO NON-COMPLYING PLAYERS be included in the selected squad".

Simples..

Blackbird 2017-05-20 15:33:39 

In reply to sunfishNonsense.

....If the cricketer represents the west indies in one format, it creates eligibility for any other format ;

or

...Eligibility for Test cricket selection creates eligibility for all formats. Eligibility for ODI creates eligibility for T20I and If the cricketer represents the west indies in (5 consecutive) T20Is, it creates eligibility for ODI and if the cricketer represents the West Indies in (5 consecutive) ODIs it creates eligibility for Test cricket.

sunfish 2017-05-20 19:05:57 

In reply to Blackbird

Boss you are forgetting the purpose behind the rule. It is to have the best players play domestically in order to strengthen our cricket.

The men who got their start from West Indies cricket could at least show some appreciation by serving the region in addition to making money elsewhere. But no, they only want to waltz into the team when the game is on the big stage.

And how do we know what ODI form they're in if they don't play it prior to an international meeting? Are they that good, that desirable and that indispensable? I think not! Let the narcisistics leave us alone because they only look inward.

And when they tweet their every mundane waking experience and they tweet often, I think, if they were more self centered THEY WILL CAVE IN ON THEMSELVES!!

Headley 2017-05-20 19:37:32 

In reply to sunfish

Sounds like a reasonable 'addendum' to me. As with everything in life, timing is the key.

Maybe it will be implemented in 3-5 years time. big grin

aliaskid13 2017-05-20 20:40:13 

It's a little more complex then that. I believe that a player should be eligible for selection in a particular format, as long as he's currently or recently performing in that format, whether he plies his trade domestically or abroad. It needs to be that way to prevent them from picking a bunch of name brand cricketers who are failing or who go IPL or whatever and ride bench, at the expense of players who stood out in the local competitions. These guys who only play t20 cricket can't be expected do well in first class cricket when they can't tell the last time they had to bat for a whole session much less a whole day, or bowl a whole tournament worth of overs in a single day.

XDFIX 2017-05-20 20:55:35 

I strongly recommend that the Hillaire/Hunt policy remains in place until the senior players retire then and only then Windies should implement changes.

Right now senior players are millionaires - they will not answer to coach, director, or president

Culture is a bitch, trust me!

Service to them means servant, slave, and servitude

sunfish 2017-05-20 21:12:49 

In reply to aliaskid13

I hate to be so agreeable but, I cannot find holes in your logical factual post.

Some players think they should be in the ODI squad by default despite focussing totally on T20 inside and outside of the West Indies.

I have long concluded the above men want to serve themselves before West Indies cricket. The spotlight and the international stage is more important to them than serving the homeland.

Watch them become available for CPL but run away from PCL. Oh Gawd me knee hurting ah canh play today.. You want me to play cricket for five long days? Bouy yu joking..

dclar301 2017-05-20 23:25:22 

In reply to sunfish

All of you talking bare nonsense.when WI cricket was strong all the players were playing county cricket and not playing in the WI domestic tournament.Shell shield or whatever was the name at that time.

rubberd 2017-05-21 00:02:46 

In reply to sunfish

Don't forget the Indian fiasco was due to unsatisfactory match fees for ODI and test.

Scar 2017-05-21 00:09:14 

In reply to dclar301
You sure of that?
Or they had to play a minimum amount of FC?

Slipfeeler 2017-05-21 01:01:15 

In reply to dclar301

Cannot gain international exposure and experience from playing domestic cricket, plus the compensation is poor in comparitive to other cricket tournaments. The best approach would be for WICB to work out an individual contractual schedule with each player, allowing them to play both IPL or other T20 leagues, while continuing to play for WI. That is the professional and standard approach to modern cricket and other sports by other nations.

Cleg 2017-05-21 07:22:21 

In reply to Slipfeeler

Cannot gain international exposure and experience from playing domestic cricket, plus the compensation is poor in comparitive to other cricket tournaments. The best approach would be for WICB to work out an individual contractual schedule with each player, allowing them to play both IPL or other T20 leagues, while continuing to play for WI. That is the professional and standard approach to modern cricket and other sports by other nations.

NUFF SAID!!

sgtdjones 2017-05-21 08:30:41 

In reply to dclar301

All of you talking bare nonsense.when WI cricket was strong all the players were playing county cricket and not playing in the WI domestic tournament.Shell shield or whatever was the name at that time.

You need a history in West Indies cricket

Check out the battles between Butcher, Kanhai, Solomon vs Hall Griffith and Sobers etc in Shell shield.

The best games were with Guyana, Barbados, Jamaica and T&T during
those days.

sgtdjones 2017-05-21 08:33:43 

Instead of paying 120 players as suggested in MOU and agreement

Why not cut it down to 50 players

Pick 20 and pay the English league clubs to play them for two seasons.

Then watch the ones with abilities develop.

Baje 2017-05-21 09:43:57 

Have a semi-rigid policy. Add the escape clause that "we reserve the right to select any player for any format if there is a demonstrated need".
Sometimes you just cannot afford to be too rigid.

aliaskid13 2017-05-21 10:45:11 

In reply to dclar301

You're either very young or very poorly informed. In their heyday both shell shield and red stripe cup were intensely competitive and of the highest standard. Our players weren't better because they were playing county cricket. At that time it was the inclusion of our players that helped raise the standard of their cricket. It wasn't just the west indies senior team players who played county cricket. It was cricketers from every level going there to play in different divisions. If you didn't know, you do now.