The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

At number 8 the Knicks will take

Outswinger 2017-05-25 14:53:35 

....... a guard. This is universally agreed to be the Knicks most dire need. OK, so most people think that the premier ones will be gone by then, Fultz, Ball, Fox, Monk. It appears the choice will be between Ntilikina and Dennis Smith. This is unless there is another guard they think more highly of lower in the pecking order of if the teams above the Knicks in the draft do not select the players we think they will. So what will the Knicks do?

I think they will go for Dennis Smith if he is available. The preferences in order should be, in my opinion:
1. Fultz
2. Fox
3. Ball
4. Monk
5. Smith
6. Ntilikina
But if a trade of Melo raises its head before then, what in tarnation do they do? Still go
for a guard and use a later pick and free agency to replace him? Or address that replacement in the draft?

nick2020 2017-05-25 15:31:47 

In reply to Outswinger

What we know for a fact is the fans will hate it and chant Fire Laden. I mean Jackson.

Outswinger 2017-05-25 15:41:51 

In reply to nick2020

I think they should trade Jackson or wave him cool cool

In my opinion, it is not fair to hire a coach and ask him to try to win a championship, but use your system only, i.e. de infamous triangle! If you want dat, coach de team yourself and you take de blame for its failures.

But hire a coach, who did not build his reputation on your system, and then force it on him is not cool. I blame the coach zero and Jackson 100%.

Outswinger 2017-05-25 15:45:13 

Commie,
Where are you man? You gotta tek Melo so we can rebuild, you can give me a good wing and maybe dat lottery pick ?

Tryangle 2017-05-25 15:50:38 

What team picking in the top 5 is going to deal their pick for Carmelo?

Outswinger 2017-05-25 16:01:39 

In reply to Tryangle

Well, Melo can put 25 - 30 points per game on the board right away. Remember that. These newbies have to learn to play in the league and take a few years to develop. So who knows? Celtics just got blown to the moon!

Tryangle 2017-05-25 16:09:31 

In reply to Outswinger

True, the C's may get tempted into something if they feel they have a small window to make an impact, although I'd like to think they'd aim for someone younger and more versatile (George or Jimmy Butler). And if they're going to chase Gordon Hayward then it would seem superfluous to go after Carmelo.

DukeStreet 2017-05-25 16:19:29 

In reply to Outswinger
Melo must be one of the biggest underachievers ever in the history of sports. He hides behind his talent while palancing around NYC but has never taken the responsibility of leading when needed.

Outswinger 2017-05-25 16:59:33 

In reply to DukeStreet

I do agree I would like to see him really take the helm and push his team to do better. I never seem to hear him doing anything about the poor performances. Yea, he is not much of a rah, rah guy, but you gotta speak up, call some people to pull their weight, throw around a few chairs at half time, etc. Players will not want to get on his bad side because they will know that he might have some clout (now gone after his bout with the 'Zen-master), but before that he should have been pulling rank and calling out people to step it up.

NYCGURU 2017-05-25 23:35:04 

In reply to Tryangle

It would depend on how much drugs they are on, or who the knicks have pictures on. Iso school yard Melo cant guard and kills ball movement. Here comes the Jab stepper, he is a big ball stopper Melo. The Clippers are one of the few possible landing spots and they have nothing to offer.At this point the Zen Master just want him gone so he can get on with the slow rebuild.

NYCGURU 2017-05-25 23:39:39 

In reply to Outswinger

Who can he call out when he does not defend. He played Zone the one year in College and never developed a work ethic. The most important player on a basketball team is the best player. If he is not exemplary like a Tim Duncan, or Isiah Thomas or a Larry Bird, you are doomed like the Knicks with schoolyard Melo.

NYCGURU 2017-05-26 08:01:57 

In reply to Outswinger

I think you are right on the money with your projections. Of the teams picking ahead of us,I think Minnesota is the wild card who might throw the projections off. Hard to see them drafting another point guard after drafting Dunn last year, and with Rubio under contract. I do believe however that if the choice is between Ntilikina and Smith,phil will go with Ntilikina because he is taller,has played both point and the two and projects to be a better defender. Smith is the better athlete of the two but Frank fits better with the Euro guys who are a big part of our future. Dont be surprised if Donovon Mitchell from Louisville shoots up the draft boards in the coming weeks.

Commie 2017-05-26 14:26:38 

Dennis Smith jr is a prototype Knick.

defeyeant 2017-05-26 14:51:53 

Yep looks like the Knicks will take Smith

Melo's trade value has been undermined by Phil. Plus when last Melo play a full season without two weeks on the Injured list? If you are in the east Melo doesnt put you past Lebron so why trade a pick and young players for him? If you are in the West he might nudge you into the playoffs if you are on the fringe and so inclined but he still wont make you a top 3 in the west seed.
actually maybe if Clips traded him for Blake but its still a bit like shuffling deck chairs on the titanic

NYCGURU 2017-05-26 16:33:37 

In reply to defeyeant

I think Commie is poking fun at us long suffering Knick fans with that comment. I think the implication is that because smith has that ACL injury in his past, he is the type the Knicks will gamble on. Knowing how much Phil likes big guards, i cant see him going with Smith. Also, he has a style that he believes in that means defense and ball sharing that points to Ntilikina. I never thought it was possible, but somehow Phil has managed to make Melo the tragic figure with the way he has handled the situation.

nick2020 2017-05-26 18:49:56 

In reply to defeyeant

No one was trading for Melo anyway.