The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Water Powered Car

Hanover 2017-07-19 23:59:56 

Meet Harlo Mayne, The Jamaican man that created a system which allows cars to run on water[…] Mayne explains the value of his most popular invention to date- a system that powers a car using only water.

https://nowjm.com/news/jamaican-inventor-creates-water-powered-car/

black 2017-07-20 00:24:19 

In reply to Hanover

Nice.

ponderiver 2017-07-20 02:07:12 

In reply to Hanover

Awesome. . How cool is that

Yes haters come and cuss ah reddi fuh unnuh

Drapsey 2017-07-20 07:10:33 

In reply to Hanover

Pouring cold water on this invention is not my intention, but isn't this a bit late for the benefit of the masses?

With the availability of water, free water that is, just about totally controlled by the bottled water entrepreneurs, how long will it take for the cost of water as fuel to be rivaling today's fossil based fuel?

Ewart 2017-07-20 07:27:46 

In reply to Hanover

Nice, indeed! Where have you been bro?

big grin big grin

//

Ewart 2017-07-20 07:29:04 

In reply to ponderiver

razz lol

//

Ewart 2017-07-20 07:30:23 

In reply to Drapsey

sad rolleyes sad

//

analyst-kid 2017-07-20 08:45:18 

In reply to Drapsey

What about the collection of pipe water, rain water and sea water? Water is so available how can it be controlled?

black 2017-07-20 09:22:58 

In reply to Drapsey

Water is cheap.

What people are paying for, is uncontaminated water. At least that is what they think they are getting.

Drapsey 2017-07-20 11:33:51 

Division of Water

Water Availability

The Water Quantity Management Section is charged with administering the sections of KRS 151 and KRS 224A and 401 KAR 4:220 pertaining to water withdrawal permitting, water supply planning and drought. All three of these programs serve to fulfill the water resources policy set forth in KRS 151.110. Briefly stated, the intent of this policy is to maximize the conservation and beneficial use of water, prevent flooding, maintain the normal flow of all streams, regulate reasonably the amount of withdrawal of public waters and provide planning of regionalization, consolidation and partnerships among governmental agencies and private parties.

WATER MANAGEMENT

The water management program governs all withdrawals greater than 10,000 gallons per day from any surface or groundwater source, with the exception of water required for domestic or agricultural purposes and for steam-powered electrical generating plants. Each permit limits withdrawals to an amount that the permittee currently requires and that the water source is generally capable of providing. In addition, each permit may be conditioned to provide protection for other users and for the aquatic habitat. All permit holders are required to maintain accurate records as to the amount of water withdrawn and to provide that information to the Division of Water (DOW) on a monthly basis. Withdrawal data is available for 1966 to the present and may be reported by use category, county or river basin.

That's just an example of how water 'withdrawal' is managed. Just imagine the time when the now providers of fossil based fuel are challenged by this new alternative.

DukeStreet 2017-07-20 11:38:31 

In reply to Hanover
Don't worry. This will not be mass produced. This system is based on soooo many systems of past. The Big Boys and oil companies take a look at them, buy the patent up with big promises and then park them on the shelf. Nothing needs to be in the way to derail the oil companies, comrades!

cool

Hanover 2017-07-20 18:21:09 

In reply to black

Yes, my brother, it is.

Hanover 2017-07-20 18:27:55 

In reply to ponderiver
Hahahahaha

Not misunderestimating "the haters", as you put it, I see.smile

Hanover 2017-07-20 18:29:35 

In reply to Drapsey
My friend, I suspect that you have the answers to the questions that you asked; in addition, I believe that you will not be stingy with your knowledge.

Hanover 2017-07-20 18:33:55 

In reply to Ewart
My brother, nice, indeed; indeed it is nice…hahahaha

I am here, man – hopefully, I will be here for as long as we are all here.smile

This is a very good place to find interesting discussions. I don’t post often, because I don’t have the multitasking skills necessary to keep-up with the disparate thematic significance on any given thread, including this one.smile

Hanover 2017-07-20 18:36:14 

In reply to DukeStreet

I got you, man.

In other words: Against a better will, the will fights weakly.

Kay 2017-07-20 20:07:03 

How much did he sell so far?

Hanover 2017-07-21 15:45:23 

Never underestimate the entrepreneurial spirit of mankind. Man will not always sit in the cave and watch the blinding shadows on the wall; instead, more often than not, man will seek ways to change his situation.

“What a piece of work is a man”, indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pSZDoGJOQE

DAVE400 2017-07-21 16:35:49 

You all do realize any idiot could conceive the idea...it is fairly simple to extract hydrogen from watah....

The problem is safety...hydtogen is way too combustible to be a reliable fuel...

His invention relies more on bravado than brain.

pelon 2017-07-21 16:47:23 

I applaud this initiative.

My serious question to anyone willing: has there been any publications - scientific in nature - to support the wonderful claims with relation to efficiency?

He is not the first or last to have such an invention, and therefore like all other inventions we can't comprehend, we look to transparency and documentation for support.

Irrelevant, but science agree: Oxyhydrogen is often mentioned in conjunction with vehicles that claim to use water as a fuel. The most common and decisive counter-argument against producing this gas on board to use as a fuel or fuel additive is that more energy is needed to split water molecules than is recouped by burning the resulting gas.

In other words, the tech is real (don't need to repeat: REAL!!), but not sustainable, and in his case you need a ready/steady supply of aluminum.

In his own words (see interview):
"It works as Water eats aluminum. As it is melting it creates a huge amount of of hydrogen gas"

I accept that at "face value" and the water is cheap, however the aluminum and caustic source is not!!!

Gents, think about this seriously before you blast me for asking questions:

1. What rate of "eating aluminum" takes place to produce combustible gases?
2. Which source of aluminum is currently more environmentally friendly than fossil fuels it seeks to replace?
3. Minor point: patent is not proof of functional efficiency

Let us celebrate innovation out of our region!!!! His is a noble and commendable path: free us from oil independence.

licks now fuh pelon...

DukeStreet 2017-07-21 19:22:15 

In reply to pelon
Even if the intangibles were available and relatively cheap he still would have to deal with the bureaucratic bullshyte in bringing it to mass production. Sure, he may be able to sell a handful but he would have a hard enough time trying to sell it for mass profit.

Norm 2017-07-22 08:16:14 

Hahaha! Nice one - and yet another water-powered vehicle!

Water is one of the most stable chemical compounds in existence, which means that you cannot extract energy from it easily by chemical means. A very small number of metals will react with water to produce hydrogen, and aluminium is not one of them - at least not unless you prevent it from forming a skin of aluminium oxide.

In any case, the source of energy here would be aluminium, which is produced by pumping lots of hydropower into aluminium oxide (bauxite) - another very stable chemical compound.

The use of hydrogen in gas form is extremely dangerous. So, it would be very foolish to experiment with such an idea. The Hindenburg disaster made that clear.

Up till now, fuel cells are the only common technology that uses hydrogen safely. Fuel cells store hydrogen in the molecular structure of carbon compounds and convert it to electricity (and water) using catalysts, but the equipment is bulky and expensive.

So - nice try!

pelon 2017-07-22 12:09:51 

In reply to Norm
Bingo.

So many companies did exactly what he has done (before him), only to hit the brick wall of efficiency.

The part I like though is the self determined ingenuity of Mr. Harlo Mayne to get HIS version to market.

Norm 2017-07-22 17:59:48 

In reply to pelon

A huge amount of effort has gone into extracting energy from hydrogen reactions, but they have mostly failed, because of energy and safety issues.

Hydrogen is the most abundant substance in the universe, but not on Earth. It takes lots of energy to produce free hydrogen here - more than you could extract from accompanying chemical reactions.

After producing free hydrogen, storing it - and storing it safely - are huge problems. Hydrogen will leak out of any container, and will explode with the slightest spark.

Underestimating the safety issues related to working with hydrogen would be disastrous - which is why simple forms of implementation need to be qualified with plenty of warnings about the danger. You do not want innocent enthusiasts to blow themselves up or burn down their homes.

I almost did both personally, as a teenager in Guyana, once from producing hydrogen and the other time from flying an experimental hot air balloon into my neighbor's wooden roof. Luck was with my neighbor and me in the second incident!

Experimenting and inventing in Third World countries should always be encouraged, but in an organised manner that includes info sources, clubs, competitions, exhibitions, knowledgeable mentors, equipment donation, etc.

There are plenty of opportunities to utilize local materials, including both soil and plant materials. Of course, you need independent-minded communities and leaders who support grass root efforts for self-improvement, to begin with.