The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Hurricane Irma’s impact on birds

pelon 2017-09-08 13:56:23 

LINK

Hurricane Irma will transport numerous species of birds far from their normal haunts. Significant storms like this (for example, Irene in 2011, or Harvey last month) often trap (or ‘entrain’) birds in their circulation, depositing them far from where they originated. We still do not fully understand many of the mechanisms involved in birds getting ‘entrained’ and then deposited by storms, which is one reason why Team BirdCast (and many others) are interested in sightings associated with these storms.

These storms and the seabirds that they deposit can provide one-in-a-lifetime birding experiences and exciting observations, respectively, with species that are normally hundreds of miles offshore flying over your inland yard, or turning up at your local reservoir. Real-time sightings from your eBird checklists will appear in the below map—read on to learn what to look for, and how to look.

Few here that have previously posted about bird watching. Interesting sub-set study

sudden 2017-09-08 14:05:43 

In reply to pelon

that is as true as John 3.16.

i was trapped and stranded in Miami one year and my bird (a gaulin) got accustomed to a Cuban dove. a couple a years later i was in Europe and my bird became attracted to a Czech love bird.

pelon 2017-09-08 14:25:01 

In reply to sudden

my bird (a gaulin)
very interesting metaphor me good fren

gaulins (Cattle egret) in Barbados spend their time picking ticks off of cattle. The symbiotic relationship is such that the gaulin is always fed and adept at co-existing with manure.

Are you saying, as far as metaphors go, these birds admired you for putting up with their shit while you tended to their needs?

#havefun

lol lol lol lol

Re: the article, yes, very interesting project

Chrissy 2017-09-08 14:30:14 

In reply to pelon

Very interesting - tenks lol

sudden 2017-09-08 14:35:26 

In reply to pelon

have a few British friends who are bird watchers. couldnt understand how one could watch birds as a hobby until one day a British Kestrel saw my brown gaulin and then i understood

re gaulin metaphor. nature is all about symbiotic relationships. my dog is a he dog your dog is a she dog etc. these birds love when my gaulin eats their worries away

Maispwi 2017-09-08 14:43:00 

In reply to pelon

Oh $hite. Dat deserve a shot of rum and a serving of pudding n souse

Hants 2017-09-08 14:49:11 

In reply to pelon

"Gaulin" is Bajan name for a Green Heron and is different from a cattle egret.

I used to live near a swamp in Barbados.lol

sudden 2017-09-08 15:03:13 

In reply to Hants

i remember when those white egrets came to Bim. i was going to Cawmere at the time in mid 70s to 80s and when we passed in the school bus we used to see them in newly plowed land or near cows. they were pretty.

there is another newish type that look like a bigger version of pigeons. i hear people calling them wild pigeons.

maybe they were all blown off course, or had these birdie senses scrambled by electromagnetic waves

pelon 2017-09-08 15:12:11 

In reply to sudden

on a serious note, cattle egrets where imported into Bim for the purpose (of tick removal) true thing. Just like mongoose for the snakes...

powen001 2017-09-08 15:30:43 

In reply to pelon

lol lol lol lol

powen001 2017-09-08 15:31:26 

In reply to sudden

those are a variety of Parrot Sudz

Hants 2017-09-08 15:40:43 

In reply to sudden

My "homies" told me those pigeons were from St.Lucia but I don't know if that is true.

They eat clammy cherries. I parked under some trees and they made a sticky mess of the car. lol

pelon 2017-09-08 15:59:05 

In reply to Hants

When I was at school at St. Cyprians primary many decades ago in 7th Ave. Bellevile, the tall, now gone palm trees used to house 100s of green parrots.

They are still a few in the area, but nothing like before. What about yellow breasted finch, often seen in St. Philip

Curtis 2017-09-08 16:25:13 

In reply to pelon

Beautiful strokes there boss, with the tick-removers et al lol lol

Curtis 2017-09-08 16:28:04 

In reply to Hants

My "homies" told me those pigeons were from St.Lucia but I don't know if that is true.

I think you are referring to birds pronounced as Rami-Yeah

In Dominica this bird is a delicacy. Since Bajans don't know or eat this bird, the ones in BIM are extremely well-fed and have Dominicans salivating when they visit BIM lol lol

DukeStreet 2017-09-08 19:32:48 

In reply to pelon

These local birds plan to defy the odds as the storm approaches Florida
smile