The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Columbus- What Your Teacher Did not Tell You

Emir 2017-10-09 08:57:26 

Way Back then, in elementary school, the teacher would ask in a loud voice: Who Discover Trinidad? We had to answer: Christopher Columbus, Sir.

Who did he meet in the island: Cannibals Sir.

Now, here's the real story

Link Text

bravos 2017-10-09 09:02:33 

In reply to Emir

Explained here in 5 mins..

mikesiva 2017-10-09 15:25:01 

In reply to Emir

To be fair I learnt all this in second form at Jamaica college in the 1970s.

We were taught that columbus was no hero and that under him the Spanish decimated the Taino whom we called Arawaks back then.

He terrorised the Taino in Jamaica on his second voyage in 1494.

POINT 2017-10-09 16:40:27 

The Navigator on Columbus Ship was PEDRO ALONSO NINO ;who was an African

BTW , there are in Mexico large Stone
carvings of Faces with Negroid Features ; that suggests that Africans
were in Mexico .

I am not a Scientist , however the fact is that Winds come out of the Sahara Desert , and come to the Tropics , where they become Hurricanes .

It seems to me that these winds also brought Sailors to the New World . This then begs the question , Why did
Columbus had an African as his Navigator ?????

Drapsey 2017-10-09 17:06:30 

In reply to POINT

The African King, who later abdicated his throne, discovered America some 111 years before Columbus.

Sorry I can't come up with his name at the moment.

As you said, Columbus' navigator was an African who qualified for his position because of his experience traveling between Europe and America.

tc1 2017-10-09 17:17:53 

In reply to Drapsey

Two professors that wrote about this topic :
Josef Ben Jochannan
Van Sertima - they came before Columbus

tc1 2017-10-09 17:19:17 

In reply to Emir

HA HA HA , we never learnt that in Bim , he never discover Bim

Khaga 2017-10-09 17:20:47 

In reply to tc1

Emir was taught those slavish lessons in a Trini Madrasa..

sgtdjones 2017-10-09 17:24:53 

In reply to Khaga

You are lucky he never discovered Hindia

Your rass would be speaking Spanish now.

lol lol lol

Khaga 2017-10-09 17:27:48 

In reply to sgtdjones

That was his goal..mother fcuker ended up discovering a fool's paradise.. lol

POINT 2017-10-09 17:28:23 

In reply to Drapsey

According to Wikipedia , Pedro had Brothers who also sailed to the New World , they were collectively known as the NINO BROTHERS .

The fact is who controls the Media also controls HISTORY . They say that
Sir Edmund Hillary was the first man to Climb Mt Everest .

He got all the Glory .
Tensing got nothing . Now the question as I see it is this ; Who would have an easier
time climbing Mt. Everest , a Person
accustomed to living in high Altitudes , or a man unaccustomed to
high Altitudes ?????

Emir 2017-10-09 17:51:25 

In reply to POINT

Yes, he was a Muslim African, it is well documented in Afro Arab folklore.

Emir 2017-10-09 17:53:48 

In reply to tc1

HA HA HA , we never learnt that in Bim , he never discover Bim

Beta, I am torking almost 8 decades ago, I am sure in Bim it was similar at that time. At any rate, I am glad you were not taught that crap.

Emir 2017-10-09 17:57:09 

In reply to mikesiva

To be fair I learnt all this in second form at Jamaica college in the 1970s.

Mike, I am referring to almost 8 decades ago. Jamaica in the 1970's was a center of third world empowerment and yes I am aware of the changes that took place there with respect to how history was presented.

You never had to stand and bow your head when the overseer and other Brits pass you by, different era.

tc1 2017-10-09 18:08:18 

In reply to Emir

Dr. Ben rolling in his grave, read his book on Muslims and Christian, how both practices by these two groups destroy Africa.

Emir 2017-10-09 18:14:55 

In reply to tc1

Different topic. Start a different thread. This one is about Columbus.
Thanks

Khaga 2017-10-09 18:18:18 

In reply to tc1

ExtrEmir jumpy as soon as you mention about Islam's savage past.. lol

Jabari18 2017-10-09 18:34:12 

In reply to Emir

Friday we having a one off holiday in honor of the first peoples. Planning to take my kids to get exposed to proper information and not the crap that still being taught in primary schools

tc1 2017-10-09 18:39:56 

In reply to Khaga

lol lol lol Some guys are fake, knows nuttin about history and the effect on Western civilization on Africa.

Khaga 2017-10-09 19:30:45 

In reply to tc1

Ask ExtrEmir if he would join and discuss if you start a thread on Islam's savagery in Asia and Africa.. lol

tc1 2017-10-09 19:42:21 

In reply to Khaga

he ran away

Emir 2017-10-09 22:07:33 

In reply to Jabari18

Jabs I read about it and I wish the Holiday becomes permanent, they can take off one of the old colonial ones like Whit Monday.

Enjoy it and let us know it went, pics would be nice

mikesiva 2017-10-10 13:09:44 

In reply to Emir

"Mike, I am referring to almost 8 decades ago."

Fair enough.

Richard Hart wrote that when he was at school in Jamaica, they were taught about 1066 and William the Conqueror, and nothing about the history of black and Asian people.

Richard Hart

pelon 2017-10-10 13:25:38 

In reply to Emir
Great thread Sir.
Columbus in the Caribbean is a 'fake news' event.

Converted people still worship the religion he brought to the indigenous peoples of the region. A colonialist fraud, that could not navigate from the palm of his hand to his fingertip.

Beta, I am torking almost 8 decades ago
You are the most tech savvy 80yr old from the Caribbean. Respect!

You never had to stand and bow your head when the overseer and other Brits pass you by, different era.
Liberate yourself from... ! The boy that bowed never subverted his identity. You need to speak more about that era so all readers can have a first hand appreciation of how important it is to NEVER forget. First hand history

In this day and age, an entire generations' history is defined by selfies - masking their actual identity.

Dan_De_Lyan 2017-10-10 20:47:52 

yall getting paid for Columbus day? How about saying no in protest

DAVE400 2017-10-10 21:37:30 

In my book, Columbus is a hero.

He globalised the world...fcuk Leif Erikson and that African dude that Drapsey dreamed up (most likely revisionist history anyway)...they didn't have the influence to create a whole transatlantic trade.

Me can't judge a man for doing what was the norm in his day.

DAVE400 2017-10-10 21:40:29 

In reply to Emir and Drapsey

wikipedia need allyuh help documenting Nina

The fcukeries allyuh does chat because of allyuh insecurity....

gvenkat 2017-10-10 21:44:49 

In reply to DAVE400

I agree.. Without columbus these fcuks would not have been here.

pelon 2017-10-10 22:11:03 

In reply to DAVE400

Hero Dave? Columbus and crew plundered, raped and murdered indigenous peoples. Brought diseases that wiped out cities. Was LOST looking for India... you call this man a hero? Iz joke you mek man.

Jabari18 2017-10-10 22:22:36 

In reply to DAVE400

A hero????? Daz a real twisted man to call a hero. Yes we are living the consequence of his actions. But who is to say we better off now than we would’ve been if he didn’t rape kill n rob all those people. For sure the natives of these lands would’ve been much better off

Jabari18 2017-10-10 22:26:23 

In reply to pelon

I hope d man joking

mikesiva 2017-10-11 05:28:56 

In reply to Jabari18

Dave and gvenkat probably think Hitler, Stalin and Mao were heroes too...and General Dyer as well.
big grin
'Columbus had two goals in the Caribbean: to find gold and slaves. Columbus returned home to Spain and came back to the Caribbean with 17 ships and 1,200 men. His men traveled from island to island, taking Indians as captives. In 1495, in a large slave raid, Columbus and his men rounded up 1,500 Arawak men, women, and children, and put them in pens. They selected what they considered the best natives and loaded them onto ships back to Spain. Two hundred died en route. After the survivors were sold as slaves in Spain, Columbus later wrote: "Let us in the name of the Holy Trinity go on sending all the slaves that can be sold."'

More Columbus atrocities here

DAVE400 2017-10-11 20:27:10 

In reply to mikesiva

Dude, he had a conviction that the world was round...and he was right...Somebody needed to be brave enough to make that voyage...what he didn't figure was that there was a land mass interrupting the circumnavigation...

And how de fack could he know? Did you whatsAPP him and tell him?

Steups...

Name one nation that lived progressively in that era....none...Man simply was not enlightened yet.

Slavery was not a sin..it was simply a collision in the midst of the cosmic collisions in the Universe. As great a sin but no less than the countless atrocities prior to it.

Regarding Hitler I would say he was a few million short of being a hero... twisted

pelon 2017-10-11 21:06:31 

WOW. DAVE400

Slavery was not a sin..

...a few million short of being a hero...

Seriously wow, It is simple for me.

That post is to be deleted. If it stays, pelon can't be directly or indirectly linked to a forum that would tolerate THAT from its members.

That is warped, sick, ignorant hate.

Don't be a jackass DAVE

Chrissy 2017-10-11 21:34:28 

I see the racist scumbags are being themselves on this thread. Dem lucky I can't lock individual posts.

DAVE400 2017-10-11 21:40:38 

In reply to pelon

There are an infinite number of different realities as a result of our actions...

The same way you ask how much misery could have been saved by neutralizing Hitler before his atrocities is the same way one can ask how different the middle east would have been without a jewish state implanted...

pelon 2017-10-11 21:45:10 

In reply to DAVE400

Respectfully, I have no desire to confabulate.

Sincerely I ask you: delete all the bile in your post. Entirely your prerogative, and my position is stated above. We see what the morning brings.

DAVE400 2017-10-11 22:02:46 

In reply to pelon

Pelon, if you really think that I mean what I posted about Hitler, I sorry for you...

I love to push the buttons of the righteous indignant. Really, who the fuck are we to judge?

Dead serious about Columbus though...

Khaga 2017-10-11 23:37:09 

In reply to DAVE400

Regarding Hitler I would say he was a few million short of being a hero... twisted

He also lost the popular vote? twisted twisted

mikesiva 2017-10-13 05:50:11 

In reply to pelon

No need for me to comment on Dave's posts...they say it all.
cool
But he tries to justify the actions of Columbus by saying slavery was an acceptable form of oppression back in those days. Well, so was gassing Jews in Nazi Germany...it didn't make it right.

However, Columbus committed worse atrocities than just slavery:

"But slaves weren’t enough for Columbus or the Spanish monarchy. Columbus needed to bring back gold. Columbus and his crew believed there were gold fields in the province of Cicao on Haiti. He and his men ordered all natives 14 years or older to collect a certain amount of gold every three months. Natives who didn’t collect enough gold had their hands cut off. But it was an impossible tasks. There was virtually no gold around; only a little dust in streams. Many natives fled and were consequently hunted down and killed by the Spaniards."

I suppose that's acceptable too....

'If captivity and death weren’t enough, Columbus and his men had a particular reputation for cruelty. Bartolome de las Casas, a young priest who participated in the conquest of Cuba and wrote a history of the Indies, describes the treatment of the natives: “Endless testimonies ... prove the mild and pacific temperament of the natives. ... But our work was to exasperate, ravage, kill, mangle and destroy; small wonder, then, if they tried to kill one of us now and then.... The admiral, it is true, was blind as those who came after him, and he was so anxious to please the King that he committed irreparable crimes against the Indians ...“ Las Casas describes how Spaniards rode on the backs of natives. How the Spaniards "thought nothing of knifing Indians by tens and twenties and of cutting slices off them to test the sharpness of their blades." Las Casas adds "two of these so-called Christians met two Indian boys one day, each carrying a parrot; they took the parrots and for fun beheaded the boys."'

Who the fcuk are we to judge? Well, I have no qualms judging the above atrocities....

Drapsey 2017-10-13 06:30:24 

In reply to DAVE400

wikipedia need allyuh help documenting Nina

The fcukeries allyuh does chat because of allyuh insecurity....

I'm willing to place a wager that Wikipedia also affirms the 'fact' that Columbus discovered America and nothing said about the (claim of the) African king's 111 years earlier discovery.