The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Alan Shearer: Making my documentary Dementia,

Chrissy 2017-11-11 13:55:02 

Football and Me

It is more than a year since I started making my BBC documentary investigating the link between heading footballs and dementia.

Personally and professionally, it has been quite a journey - and also an education - for me.

I met former footballers and their families who live with the disease, spoke to scientists and doctors about the research that is taking place, and took part in tests myself.

As someone who played the game for 20 years, and sometimes headed the ball up to 100 times a day in training, I knew that if there was a danger, then I was one of those who could be at risk.
Alan Shearer is the Premier League's leading goalscorer with 260 goals for Blackburn and Newcastle, including 46 headers
Shearer is the Premier League's leading goalscorer with 260 goals for Blackburn and Newcastle, including 46 headers. As well as in matches, he headed the ball thousands of times in training during his career.

My aim was to learn as much as I could about the subject, and the people it affects.

At times, it was hugely emotional, but I really enjoyed it too - and I am very proud of the programme we have made together.