The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

T&T.Hindus celebrate Maha Shivratri with devotion-reflection

sgtdjones 3/10/24, 4:29:11 PM
sgtdjones avatar image

debut: 2/16/17
35,084 runs

Hindus celebrate Maha Shivratri with devotion, reflection

Hindus across Trinidad and Tobago observed Maha Shivratri engaging in all-night vigils at temples with devotional songs and dances between Friday evening and Saturday morning.
Shivratri, known as the "Night of Lord Shiva," falls on the 14th day of the dark fortnight in the month of Phalgun (February/March), symbolising the manifestation of Lord Shiva as the Jyotir lingam (column of light).

Lord Shiva, one of the manifestations of the Hindu Trinity, embodies the roles of destroyer and rejuvenator. The festivities began at 6.16 pm on March 8 and concluded at 6.16 am on March 9

Throughout the night, devotees offered (in mandirs and at home) milk, dahee (yogurt), ghee, honey, bael leaves, sugarcane, till (sesame seeds), and flowers to the Shiva lingam at four intervals or prahars. A lingam is a sacred stone symbolising the unified energy of male and female, believed to be the source of all life.
googley 3/10/24, 7:13:12 PM
googley avatar image

debut: 2/9/04
22,018 runs

In reply to sgtdjones

Did you not offer your salutations?
sgtdjones 3/10/24, 7:33:17 PM
sgtdjones avatar image

35,084 runs

In reply to googley

Oh nooo to busy working away at Complex engineering problems from my India's visit..

Do they give food at such puja's, you know after the fruits are blessed , do they ever taste amazing ,
the apples taste better that the ones I have on a few trees on the farm.
- edited -
googley 3/10/24, 9:02:08 PM
googley avatar image

debut: 2/9/04
22,018 runs

In reply to sgtdjones

Do you want to enjoy the blessed food/fruits but not spend the time to offer your salutations! Lovely! lollol
sgtdjones 3/10/24, 10:20:13 PM
sgtdjones avatar image

35,084 runs

In reply to googley

I wish all that believe in religions the best....I dont.

Narper told me to say that...razz
- edited -
XDFIX 3/11/24, 7:55:50 PM
XDFIX avatar image

debut: 3/2/03
17,076 runs

In reply to sgtdjones

Seems like a spirit fest in first quarter - Lent, Ramadan, and Maha Shivratri