The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Oh Noo...its Spring but 10cm of snow approaching

sgtdjones 3/22/24, 4:00:24 PM
sgtdjones avatar image

debut: 2/16/17
35,103 runs

Oh Noo...its Spring but 10cm of snow approaching

Updated on Mar. 22, 2024, 11:19 AM

A Colorado low sweeping into the Great Lakes is responsible for this spell of winter weather across southern Ontario.

It's officially spring, but Friday's snow across southern Ontario could bring one of the largest one-day snowfall totals of the year.Spring has sprung, but winter certainly isn't going out without a fight across southern Ontario. A low-pressure system south of the border is grazing the region to end the week, producing a bout of snow that’ll continue into the evening and overnight hours on Friday. In fact, this could be one of the biggest one-day snowfalls of the year for some areas, with 10-15 cm forecast into Saturday. Easterly winds blowing off Lake Ontario could enhance snowfall rates a bit in the Golden Horseshoe, helping to slightly increase snowfall totals around Toronto and Hamilton.

Snow will taper off for most of southern Ontario overnight Friday into the wee morning hours on Saturday. Widespread snowfall totals of 5-10+ cm are expected from Windsor straight up Highway 401 toward Cornwall. Accumulations of about 10 cm are likely right around the Golden Horseshoe, which could bring Toronto its largest single snowfall of the season.5-10 cm of snow isn’t much in the grand scheme of weather hazards. But it’s plenty to make roads slippery, especially as the sun goes down. Add in traffic during Friday evening’s commute, as well as the fact that many drivers have removed their winter tires for the season, and this setup raises the risk for slowdowns and accidents throughout the region.
- edited -
sgtdjones 3/22/24, 6:35:04 PM
sgtdjones avatar image

35,103 runs

Active Alerts
Hamilton, ON

Snowfall Warning

Issued at Fri 10:37 AM Mar. 22
Issued by: Environment and Climate Change Canada
Recommended Action

Be prepared to adjust your driving with changing road conditions. If visibility is reduced while driving, turn on your lights and maintain a safe following distance.

Description

Significant snowfall today and tonight.

Hazards:
Snowfall amounts near 15 cm.
Peak snowfall rates of 2 cm per hour possible.
Reduced visibility in heavy snow.

Timing:
Beginning near noon and ending tonight.

Discussion:
Light snow should intensify late this afternoon or evening. The snow will taper off from west to east late tonight.

This snow may have a significant impact on the evening commute in urban areas.
Drapsey 3/22/24, 6:48:04 PM
Drapsey avatar image

debut: 12/26/07
33,285 runs

In reply to sgtdjones

You could always go back to Hindia.
sgtdjones 3/22/24, 8:21:16 PM
sgtdjones avatar image

35,103 runs

In reply to Drapsey

Droopsy

I am just noting about India as the critics are clueless about that Country on this site.
My Corporation have done business in India over the last decade plus.
We are negotiating to do more as India will be building over 60 Chemical Plants over the next decade
And we can helping with the process and increasing the mass balance of such plants.
With 800 million people under the age of 35 expecting to be at middle class , no other country offers such opportunities.

Incidentally It snows in India , the Northern part ...cool
Drapsey 3/22/24, 8:25:49 PM
Drapsey avatar image

debut: 12/26/07
33,285 runs

In reply to sgtdjones

No offence, Sarge.

I too have some connection with Hindia. My paternal grandmother was (affectionately) called Miss "C" (full word forbidden on here).
sgtdjones 3/22/24, 8:39:34 PM
sgtdjones avatar image

35,103 runs

In reply to Drapsey

I don't think what you said to me as an offence ...just as picong...Droopsey.lol
My Connection to India was by my great grandfather.
After that it became a mixture , my mom was Venezuelan.
- edited -
Narper 3/23/24, 6:34:14 PM
Narper avatar image

debut: 1/4/03
253,234 runs

In reply to sgtdjones

20 cm still on the ground....but sun blazing today and its cold like rass...good canadaian weatherbig grin
FanAttick 3/23/24, 6:37:40 PM
FanAttick avatar image

debut: 11/13/02
63,428 runs

In reply to sgtdjones

How much is that in inches?
sgtdjones 3/23/24, 6:42:02 PM
sgtdjones avatar image

35,103 runs

In reply to FanAttick

7.87402 inches lol
- edited -
sgtdjones 3/23/24, 6:44:34 PM
sgtdjones avatar image

35,103 runs

In reply to Narper

The wind in the golden Horseshoe and Niagara escarpment...coming off Lake Superior

Minus 15 Deg C tonite.(-15°C × 9/5) + 32 = 5°F
sgtdjones 3/23/24, 6:59:57 PM
sgtdjones avatar image

35,103 runs

A chilly weekend will spread across much of Canada as an active pattern churns through the end of March.
Chilly air shouldn’t be rare in Canada—even at the beginning of spring. A changeable pattern will align just right this weekend to bring the country something we only saw once this winter: below-seasonal temperatures spread from coast to coast. This weekend’s atmospheric arrangement will allow cooler temperatures to stretch from British Columbia to Nova Scotia. Conditions are likely to stay chilly and active for most through the end of the month.

The overall setup we’ll see this weekend features a broad ridge of high pressure building over the Arctic latitudes. Arctic ridges tend to displace cold air toward the south. The Far North will see warmer-than-usual temperatures as the chill moves south this weekend. Seasonal temperatures change in a hurry this time of year, and below seasonal isn’t quite the bone-chilling prospect it might be in the middle of January. Back east, chilly air will funnel into the Great Lakes and Eastern Canada. Even typically balmy Windsor, Ontario, will see a high temperature on Saturday just barely climbing above freezing. Folks farther north toward Montreal see snow with afternoon highs nearly ten degrees below seasonal.

It’s no surprise that we’re still fending off intrusions of winter weather even after the equinox. It’s easy to lose sight of the fact that many communities across Canada average decent snows during the month of April.

Environment Canada
- edited -
FanAttick 3/23/24, 7:06:17 PM
FanAttick avatar image

debut: 11/13/02
63,428 runs

In reply to sgtdjones

Ok. Thanks…i can’t wrap my head around metric measurements big grin
sgtdjones 3/23/24, 9:00:22 PM
sgtdjones avatar image

35,103 runs

In reply to FanAttick

Come and spend next winter in Manitoba with Red duppy , you will have a complete understanding..razz

He will take you to the Polar Bear Jail in Churchill, Manitob a.. Hudson Bay

Overnight lows as low as −40 °C (−40 °F) occur on several days each winter, and the temperature may remain below −18 °C (0 °F) for weeks...cool
- edited -