The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Trini showgirl for Parisian cabaret of the Moulin Rouge

sgtdjones 3/24/24, 3:49:59 PM
sgtdjones avatar image

debut: 2/16/17
35,098 runs

Rebecca Chan–Trini showgirl for Parisian cabaret of the Moulin Rouge

Rebecca Chan has spent years training as a dancer, adapting her feet to the styles of jazz, ballet, and contemporary dance. However, when she was chosen to be a showgirl for the coveted Parisian cabaret of the Moulin Rouge, her life got a major update.Earlier this month, before the 25 year old professional dancer left her tropical Maraval home for the city of love, baguettes, and croissants, aka Paris, she had spent two weeks liming with her family and friends and taking a short trip to Tobago. Before departing for France, the dancer sat down with Guardian Media at her Maraval home to share her journey and goals for the next five years.

Looking back at 2022, Chan auditioned for the Moulin Rouge cabaret in London, which she said was a fun experience, despite its challenges. Two weeks later, the company called asking her to join the Moulin Rouge in Paris. She was in shock.The Moulin Rouge was founded in France in 1889 allowing both the wealthy and poor to enjoy colourful spectacles of both dance and song in addition to extravagant décor.

Living and working underneath the Parisian lights for almost two years now, she loves the city for its architecture and ease of travel, allowing people to move about with minor headaches.
“I can bike somewhere or walk wherever I need to go. And the architecture there is beautiful, the building façades, it’s all very old and preserved, it’s not modern at all and I love that about it. I’m very grateful to live there,” Chan said. She also noted that she is the only Trinidadian in the cabaret, with most of her peers from Australia, England, and Canada. Interacting with them, Chan recalled moments when they would be confused about Trinidad and Tobago’s location on the map and how she even arrived in Paris.