The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Why is the West Indies Captain

Page: 1  2 next 
kingdom 4/6/24, 8:42:21 PM
kingdom avatar image

debut: 3/15/14
648 runs

on the bench & Hetty playing ahead of him for Rajasthan Royals? Is it that the people in India see something else that we in the Caribbean cannot see?
doosra 4/6/24, 8:46:17 PM
doosra avatar image

debut: 5/26/04
92,779 runs

In reply to kingdom

role

and Hety a franchise man...Rov gotta earn that
- edited -
Speed100 4/7/24, 1:25:30 AM
Speed100 avatar image

debut: 8/30/23
230 runs

Because Hetty is a superior player in every aspect to the other guy.

Remember all you need is a leggie for the other guy
JoeGrine 4/7/24, 12:23:08 PM
JoeGrine avatar image

debut: 2/15/09
4,366 runs

In reply to Speed100

Because Hetty is a superior player in every aspect to the other guy.

I am assuming here that "Hetty" is Shimron Hetmeyr and the "other guy" is Rovman Powell. I am assuming you are talking T-20 since that is what is currently being played.

HETMEYR - (ave = 20.50) and strike-rate (118.21)
POWELL : (ave = 26.24) and strike-rate (144.81)

I will not assume you are biased, neither I will not assume you know not of which you speak as it is quite obvious both are applicable.
Drapsey 4/7/24, 1:08:21 PM
Drapsey avatar image

debut: 12/26/07
33,320 runs

In reply to kingdom

Looks like only Muddies making the field as West Indians. Hetty yesterday, then Shep today.

Ok, I forgot that Dre Russ shows up every once in a while.
anthonyp 4/7/24, 1:23:15 PM
anthonyp avatar image

debut: 11/2/09
11,629 runs

In reply to JoeGrine

It's the IPL... If Hetty had stats like that in the IPL they wouldn't be paying him over a million USD for the past three seasons.

Hety IPL stats
Batting avg. 32.25.. SR 152.16.

Powell IPL stats
Batting avg. 19.77.. SR 146.02

Hope that helps you to understand why Powell is on the bench and Hety always in the XI.
- edited -
kingdom 4/7/24, 1:50:26 PM
kingdom avatar image

648 runs

In reply to anthonyp

This makes sense. Thank you!
Brerzerk 4/7/24, 4:34:19 PM
Brerzerk avatar image

debut: 3/16/21
10,245 runs

In reply to anthonyp

Which of the two come in later to loop last few balls a d not out? Actually Doan see the big deal arguing about 2 T20 voopers who are not doing much to uplift WI
imusic 4/7/24, 5:58:28 PM
imusic avatar image

debut: 11/13/02
77,939 runs

Well…..Hety does a good job coming in at 7 or 8 for his team with 2 overs to go and striking at 120 or above.

Plus….hes excellent in the field.

He’s also a proven entity in that role for his team in IPL

Powell just join.

Early days yet
imusic 4/7/24, 6:02:08 PM
imusic avatar image

77,939 runs

In reply to Brerzerk

Actually, Powell does a lot to uplift West Indies.

He has a winning record as WI captain
Played 17
Won 10
Lost 7

He has contributed significantly with the bat and in the field since becoming captain

Hetmeyer on the other hand……….
kingdom 4/7/24, 6:19:49 PM
kingdom avatar image

648 runs

In reply to imusic

I think West Indies using Hetmeyer wrong. I think Hetmeyer should open or bat at 6-7 with 3-4 overs to finish off the innings. In those two positions Hetmeyer is strong, not in the middle of the innings.
imusic 4/7/24, 6:34:55 PM
imusic avatar image

77,939 runs

In reply to kingdom

Some West Indians saw Hetmeyer as the next great batsman from the WI

When that didn’t pan out, they blamed IPL for turning him into a slogger at the end of the innings instead of the supreme batsman he was.

Now you’re suggesting that WI using him wrong and should be using him as a slogger at the end of the innings instead of in a batsman role.

Maybe….but as some point, people are going to have to live with the probability that Hety maybe wasn’t what he was hyped to be.

His strongest asset is his fielding
anthonyp 4/7/24, 7:06:32 PM
anthonyp avatar image

debut: 11/2/09
11,629 runs

In reply to imusic

De only person who is to blame for Hety not being a top class batsman is himself... Not willing to put in the work.. The way he was treated in the WI setup didn't help either.

Pointing introduced him to the couple overs slogging at Delhi... He realised that he could do the bare minimum and earn big bucks with that style so since then that's his main focus... He is not the same player from maybe 5+ years or so ago... Full out cowlasher these days.

For someone who is supposedly overhyped according to some... He still achieved more in a short period than what some fellas did over their entire careers... How many WI players got 5 ODI tons? Not bad for an overhyped player lol
kingdom 4/7/24, 10:51:59 PM
kingdom avatar image

648 runs

In reply to imusic

Hyped! What does hype have to do with playing him where he is strong? Hetmeyer did well opening the batting & his IPL team showing up you & West Indies with y'all stinking thinking. Our problem is we only see things one way, and that is why the rest of the cricketing world has gone ahead & left us behind. Over the years West Indies have been tossing a bunch of players together & hoping for the best. Doing things like that will never work. To have a successful team you need everyone playing their roles. In Caribbean people's minds Hetmeyer is shit, but his IPL team sees otherwise & Ravman Powell who we value more than him is on the bench while Hetmeyer plays.
- edited -
kingdom 4/7/24, 11:02:50 PM
kingdom avatar image

648 runs

In reply to anthonyp

How you treat people has a lot to do with it.
imusic 4/8/24, 1:16:44 AM
imusic avatar image

77,939 runs

In reply to kingdom
How you treat people has a lot to do with it.

Agreed.

Hety has been coddled and catered to his entire WI career.

No longer. Rightfully so.

As for playing him “where he’s strong”…..if WI do that, his supporters will claim they doing him wrong and only think he’s a slogger when he’s more than that.

Besides….FOR WI….both Powell and Shepherd perform that role quite effectively. I can’t see them moving either of those 2 just to accommodate Hety.
- edited -
bobby 4/8/24, 1:39:45 AM
bobby avatar image

debut: 2/14/03
6,119 runs

Simple answer. Hetty has been programmed to fling his bat at everything..He is sent in for the last 2 overs to swing for the hills. No need for a brain. Rovman is seen as a cricketer and Hetty is seen as a cowlasher. Once their top order continues to do their jobs, his cowlashing job may become superfluous. And I guarantee now that if there comes a crunch time when he is really required to deliver like Romario did today, he will fail.
Brerzerk 4/8/24, 2:20:20 AM
Brerzerk avatar image

debut: 3/16/21
10,245 runs

Anyone who watched 2019 WC should realize that CWI, Betty and Poorie collectively missed a trick in enhancing to the maximum all 3 mentioned above. When Clive Lloyd told Hetty and Poorie that they were two of the better bats on show there he was not wrong but alas...
DIEHARD 4/8/24, 3:27:58 AM
DIEHARD avatar image

debut: 1/12/06
9,388 runs

In reply to kingdom

Hetty
Pooran
Hope

Should have been the basis for our middle order in all 3 formats

Bravo should have been the veteran to ease them in and Powell the added firepower for white ball formats.

But this could only have happened with competent administrators, and adequate resources, in the absence of both, we left with "potential" and "underperformance" for West Indies, but ironically .. Hetty and Pooran continue to show their worth for IPL teams
Arlo 4/8/24, 3:48:45 AM
Arlo avatar image

debut: 8/24/21
327 runs

Hetty looks like he is quite content with how his career is going. He is making the big bucks in the IPL, he just has to bat a few deliveries each game. He doesn't have to play much.

If I remember correctly, Hetty was an opener/number 3 batter in his under 19 days. He started off in that position for Guyana. I don't understand why he is content to bat down the order. He is a big part of his regression as a batter.

Yes, the IPL teams use him as a finisher but when he plays for GAW, he should be batting in the top 3. He has been in the Guyana team for so long, he should have a say in where he bats.

Last year CPL Hetty should have moved up the order, especially since GAW had issues with finding a partner for Ayub. They used Smith and an injured Keemo Paul in the finals.

Hetty reinventing himself as a finisher is not the greatest idea. Players who play that role most times have a secondary skill whether it is keeping or bowling. Hetty does not have a secondary skill. If he fails a few times in key moments he will lose his place.

I would be surprised if he is in the WI world cup team as Powell, Sheppard, Russell are already in that role.

I would hope he gives opening the batting a try again for GAW.
mikelegend 4/8/24, 4:01:17 AM
mikelegend avatar image

debut: 11/28/09
9,235 runs

In reply to Arlo

Sunil Narine has leap frogged Hetmeyer as a batsman in the T20 format…at least the IPL feels that way.
imusic 4/8/24, 4:14:21 AM
imusic avatar image

77,939 runs

In reply to mikelegend
Sunil Narine has leap frogged Hetmeyer as a batsman in the T20 format…at least the IPL feels that way.

You trying to ensure Dukesie NEVER return to this website or wha? cool
kingdom 4/8/24, 4:16:25 AM
kingdom avatar image

648 runs

In reply to imusic

I see you choose to respond my treatment comment & ignore my comment above that. Carry on!
Arlo 4/8/24, 4:19:21 AM
Arlo avatar image

debut: 8/24/21
327 runs

In reply to mikelegend

Hahaha. Hetty is still young, he can turn it around if he really wants to. No reason why he can't be productive as an opener or top order batter again.
kingdom 4/8/24, 4:22:55 AM
kingdom avatar image

648 runs

In reply to mikelegend

Hetmeyer would do a far better job opening than Narine. The 100 Hetmeyer made was at the opening spot.
Page: 1  2 next