The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

JAMAICA - WI Championships

JoeGrine 4/20/24, 11:07:58 AM
JoeGrine avatar image

debut: 2/15/09
4,366 runs

Coaching - all coaches should be removed immediately.
Selectors - they should be removed immediately.

The reasons are below:

1. The captains selected were wholly inept at bowling changes, field placings and situational awareness.
2. You enter a match (use the last one as an example) with FOUR recognized batsmen (two of whom were debutants). How is this smart cricket?
3. If you are playing four recognized batsmen, then you are saying your bowling will take the pressure off the 4. The opposition makes in excess of 400.
4. If any Jamaican team is playing only four recognized batsmen then the four would be : Gayle, Rae, Headley, Rowe plus any seven bowlers. Heck, I would even settle for Sam Morgan, Leon Garrick, Herbert Chang, "Danny Germs" Austin.
4. All season you have struggled to make 200, yet you only play four recognized batsmen.
5. Mansingh, apart from his surname, what did he really contribute to (a) maintain his place (b) be promoted to number 5 in the batting?
6. Why was Wedderburn (or some other youngster) not given an opportunity?
7. Where are the young bats and bowlers in Jamaica? Walton, Blackwood, Green, Salmon, Bonner, Lewis and Mindley are all on the negative side of 27.
8. Do players get selected so they can "eat a food"? Clearly, they are not being selected to perform or even with the future in mind.
Raggs 4/20/24, 12:04:04 PM
Raggs avatar image

debut: 1/12/04
35,387 runs

In reply to JoeGrine

Why is the females so dominant and the guys be so dominated? ..Please explain that to me a mere mortal
anthonyp 4/20/24, 12:41:29 PM
anthonyp avatar image

debut: 11/2/09
11,629 runs

In reply to JoeGrine

A youngster played for CCC in the first two rounds... Bowled with good pace. Think his name is Govasta Edmond. He is one that Jamaica should consider pulling in... Could be a good partner for Shields.

Johnson and Wedderburn should also be added to the squad for the next season.

Guys like Green, Walton and a few others need to retire.
JoeGrine 4/20/24, 2:04:38 PM
JoeGrine avatar image

4,366 runs

In reply to Raggs

Let me go "eat a food" then come forward and answer di eye!
doosra 4/20/24, 2:25:34 PM
doosra avatar image

debut: 5/26/04
92,779 runs

In reply to anthonyp

we could loan them a few lol
Overthrow 4/20/24, 3:08:18 PM
Overthrow avatar image

debut: 3/24/21
1,626 runs

The team is in a total rebuilding phase. Some patience required as the process goes forward. The experience the young players are developing at this level will payoff in the near future.
jahmekyah 4/20/24, 4:07:31 PM
jahmekyah avatar image

debut: 2/17/03
2,732 runs

This current JCA administration has being in Power since 2013. that is eleven years.
The cricket has gradually fallen way below standard.
CWI Has gotten richer.
Where is jamaica share going?
The epitaph FOR these men Graves. Should be, "RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DEATH OF JAMAICAN CRICKET"
hubert 4/20/24, 4:52:43 PM
hubert avatar image

debut: 11/14/02
18,453 runs

In reply to JoeGrine

I FEEL your pain. i.e , I agree with you smile
I was so disgusted that I refused to watch or comment much on what is going on with this
season's cricket with Jamaica.
What got me too and caused me to switch off yesterday was the dismissal of a debutant Beckford in his first knock.
Here is a young man( 19) looking quite good in the first 10 minutes of his knock only to play a slog sweep from
way outside offstump to be caught in cow corner.
That summed up the mindset of Jamaica's batting and the approach to the game.
Everything is being done to showcase T20 or Ten10..
That brings the coaches and management upfront. What are they enforcing/teaching/ instructing the players
in developing their game. For Heaven's sake, a 4-day FC match should be where good fundamentals,concentration
and game awareness etc should be uppermost. It is not fast food cricket.
I have seen younger players in all the other teams doing their best to apply themselves and have much better
returns to show and I commend them as they seem more grounded in the basics of the game.
When I see a player such as Mansingh walking in at 5 , I nearly fainted. What the hell is going on ?
As for some of the bowling..I shuddered when I see offspinners pitching middle and leg or legstump...
and too many wayward deliveries from pacers who just can't seem to bowl a consistent line or length
especially on helpful surfaces..AND Miller and Ricahrdson are coaches. They need to go for sure.

The problem is that they may the best available for Jamaica and that is not only an indictment of
those in charge but a cardinal disrespect to those of the past that established the best in Jamaica's cricket
reputation.
It is bad.
I was tempted to write that Jamaica should forego cricket and concentrate on Football and Track and field
as it seems that the best cricket talent are involved in those two disciplines. The cow pasture that is Greenfield and the
shoddy state of Sabina makes this credible.
There must be better people around to take control of the game in Jamaica. If not ?????
Anyhow with the conclusion of the Season , I see much to pleased about in the other Territories.
And as far as the Red ball Test tour to England is concerned, McKenzie should be the only Jamaican
in that 15 man party based on his performance in Australia.
My choice for the touring party for the 3 Tests is a simple one.
I would retain all from the Australia Tour except McKaskie r and Jordan. Their places
I would give to the Louis Brothers..They should become the first Test players from the St Kitts
and they are deserving and have earned their place...sorry Holder, and Chase . Seales I would add if the party
is 16 or make him no.1 reserve.
Yes, I would keep Shiv's son and Athanaze. Hodge and Greaves who is a good cricketer must be kept.
Of course changes would come for the SA series at home but loyalty should be shown to shown for those
fellows who did not lose the series in Australia.
On the other hand, I am very impressed with spinner Bishop and teenager Jewell Andrew and hope they and some others will
be nurtured and placed in an 'A' now and not later.
Sorry I am not optimistic about any Jamaica players although Johnson can be worked with and with serious work, pacer
Shields could give good service if nurtured.
dayne 4/20/24, 5:26:46 PM
dayne avatar image

debut: 5/29/07
7,735 runs

It was surprising that Jamaica did so badly since all their games were at their home ground. The players obviously need some intense practice sessions. Carlos Brown, Morris, Shields and Wedderburn look like players who should be persisted with. Mansingh is ordinary with both bat and ball, Mindley looks like he is declining
JoeGrine 4/20/24, 8:34:28 PM
JoeGrine avatar image

4,366 runs

In reply to Overthrow
[i]
The team is in a total rebuilding phase. Some patience required as the process goes forward[/i]

Rebuilding you say?

Have you noted the age of the players on the team?
hubert 4/20/24, 9:54:21 PM
hubert avatar image

18,453 runs

In reply to JoeGrine

lollol
Overthrow 4/20/24, 11:06:18 PM
Overthrow avatar image

debut: 3/24/21
1,626 runs

In reply to JoeGrine

Need some senior players in the short term to “ blood” the young players. This should be a dynamic team in 2 to 3 years.
Chrissy 4/21/24, 12:15:36 AM
Chrissy avatar image

192,649 runs

In reply to JoeGrine
A better question is are administrators selected based on ‘eat a food’.
Same for Trini cricket these days.