The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

HEADLINE: Pollard leaves ODI return to West Indies board

CaribbeanCricket.com 2018-04-11 09:41:30 

MUMBAI (Reuters) - Kieron Pollard is available to play one-day internationals for West Indies but the 30-year-old all-rounder remains unsure what plans the board may have for him in the 50-over format.

Players have been embroiled in contractual disputes with Cricket West Indies (CWI) for several years, with the team even abandoning a 2014 tour of India midway through the series over a payment structure row.

However, CWI reached an agreement with the players' union for a 'temporary amnesty', paving the way for high-profile players such as Chris Gayle, Sunil Narine and Pollard to return to the national one-day international side.

While Gayle and Marlon Samuels were part of the 15-man squad for last month's 2019 World Cup qualifiers, CWI informed that Narine, all-rounder Andre Russell, Pollard and batsman Darren Bravo had opted to play in the Pakistan Super League (PSL).

"I am actually happy in my life," Pollard, who plays for the Mumbai franchise in the Indian Premier League (IPL), told Reuters in an interview.

"Whatever opportunity I get to play I am happy.

Full Story

Kay 2018-04-11 11:42:41 

Annoda one putting his hand up as the World Cup approaches ... or maybe he is joking too!!

101 95 6 2289 119 25.71 2464 92.89 3 9

Yeah ... please bring him back pronto smile

sgtdjones 2018-04-11 12:18:57 

In reply to Kay

"I am actually happy in my life," Pollard, who plays for the Mumbai franchise in the Indian Premier League (IPL), told Reuters in an interview.

Notice what he said above. CWI is not a priority.

XDFIX 2018-04-11 12:47:52 

In reply to sgtdjones

His stock fading re IPL methinks!

Kay 2018-04-11 13:07:18 

In reply to sgtdjones

Yeah, I am actually happy in my life too .... BUT?

tc1 2018-04-11 14:11:15 

In reply to Kay

Super numbers from a super star

sgtdjones 2018-04-11 14:35:22 

In reply to Kay

5 most successful T20 cricketers ever The sheer number of T20 trophies won by these individuals is incredible and puts them above some superstars of the format.

#1 Kieron Pollard – 10 trophies

To win eleven trophies tells a tale of a team player that is wanted world wide. In a team game stats are for one's own ego building.Polly has done well.

Walco 2018-04-11 14:38:31 

Pollard appears to have forgotten that he was dropped for poor performance. He should be talking about playing the Super50 next year and earning a spot on the WC team.

FuzzyWuzzy 2018-04-11 14:57:09 

In reply to sgtdjones

Using stats or scoreboard or other tangible evidence show Pollard's contribution to those trophies. Thanks Sarge

sgtdjones 2018-04-11 15:21:42 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

Limestone Fuzzy

I am sure that you understand that in cricket stats do not tell the full story

Age 30

11 Championships won

7854 T20 runs

402 matches

245 wickets

90 catches

500 ..sixes

over 20 million US earned to date

That's not to bad for someone who is as Posters claim not a cricket player.

How many on this site achieved such

Halliwell 2018-04-11 15:37:08 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

Successful teams don’t ‘carry’ players
You know that, you’re just setting bait

sgtdjones 2018-04-11 16:00:47 

In reply to Halliwell

Limestone Fuzzy gats no bait

Dats why all em Bajan flying fish swimming
in Tobago waters now.

lol lol lol

imusic 2018-04-11 16:21:31 

In reply to sgtdjones

Now?

The term Bajan flying fish is a myth

There is no such thing

hawk 2018-04-11 18:48:56 

everrybody wants in now that we have qualified for the world cup, didn't want to halp us get there as PSL money took priority

thanks guy but perhaps you should play some domestic cricket and fight for a spot like anyone else...after all nothing convincing about your numbers

positiveg 2018-04-11 21:23:41 

In reply to hawk

I that is exactly what will be asked of all these players. Play x number of domestic games in the upcoming season. Then you will see who really want to play and those who just want a spot.

I keep on saying Gayle is head and shoulders above these guys in thinking long term about their future you know.
He knew his stock was falling long time and he done start making strategic moves.

Emir 2018-04-12 07:49:00 

Pollard is an automatic pick in any ODI and T-20 team. Period.

If West Indies cricket, and NOT the fake CWI, is sincere and wants the best team, then all these artificial requirements should be removed.

It is the job of management, not the players, to find a way to get your best players to represent the West Indies.

Why do we need a board if all they can do is fire the players, place restrictions on qualifications and create a poor environment.

I mean think about it, the players earns the revenue, then the board takes a big chunk if it, to supposedly run the business, and all they can come up with is placing qualifications on selection?

Then what have they accomplish?

DIEHARD 2018-04-12 13:40:18 

In reply to Emir

Disagree..Pollard's ODI List A stats are now behind Russel and Holder for an all-rounder spot,

And below JMo and Shai as bastman.

What will he make the team as?

Automatic T20 pick, he needs to play some List A, I don't care where, but he needs to show some 50 over form

Halliwell 2018-04-12 13:41:34 

In reply to DIEHARD

Yes sah
JMo over Polly every day of the week rolleyes lol lol

carl0002 2018-04-12 14:13:13 

I think some of these guys thought or hoped that without their mediocre stats popped up by poularity in lickit cricket, WI would not qualify for the world cup so they would not need to worry about being home when world cup is the only game in town. Now that the team has qualified without their services they have started throwing out hints without the appearance of being overly interested or it being of little importance.

Its one thing to reject WI cricket when you have options to play at a particular time. Its quite another to be home when the whole world is watching and there is nowhere else to play.

I fully expect the hints to get stronger and stronger as the WC draws closer and closer which will build up to open declaration of ginormous interests to play as deadlines approach.

openning 2018-04-12 14:29:59 

In reply to Emir

Pollard is an automatic pick in any ODI and T-20 team. Period.

In any regional ODI team, not International.

aliaskid13 2018-04-12 14:47:18 

These guys real funny yes. How can it be up to the board when you hardly play any 50 over cricket anywhere, for anyone? So you're putting it in the hands of the selectors to pick you based on what exactly? Past performance (avg 26 from 95 innings with 3 tons), current performance (nonexistent cause you only play T20) or just because you name Pollard? My advice to him, big bravo and any of the other beleaguered stars is stfu about selection until after they show some form in 50 over cricket. But when you not even playing club cricket and then make statements like this it makes you sound like a bit of an asshole.

Tryangle 2018-04-12 15:06:39 

I do think that without any substantial 50 over cricket under his belt of late, Pollard will struggle to get a serious look by the selectors, whether the saga with the Board is resolved or not.

DIEHARD 2018-04-12 16:45:06 

In reply to carl0002

Its one thing to reject WI cricket when you have options to play at a particular time. Its quite another to be home when the whole world is watching and there is nowhere else to play.

I fully expect the hints to get stronger and stronger as the WC draws closer and closer which will build up to open declaration of ginormous interests to play as deadlines approach.

Only hint that should matter is their List A performances leading up to the selection of the team.

I dont care where they play, but if Pollard plays a List A tournament and averages 40s with a SR of 90 +, put him in the team, nothing else should matter.

Hints right now cant get him anywhere near the team..

carl0002 2018-04-12 17:34:01 

In reply to DIEHARD

I dont care where they play, but if Pollard plays a List A tournament and averages 40s with a SR of 90 +, put him in the team, nothing else should matter.

big grin big grin big grin big grin big grin big grin big grin
Very funny. I think you should become a comedian.

Emir 2018-04-12 18:20:28 

In reply to DIEHARD

Why are you using stats? If we want to use stats then we should get rid of Holder and a lot of others.

In a team sport you need you best players, especially since these players- Bravo, Pollard, Simmons, Narine, Gayle, Bravo, Ramdin- are extremely deadly- when playing together.

They gel well, know each other, respect each other and their vast experience will go a long way.

Now add some of the other youngsters and others such as Lewis, for the squad of 15, and we can win this WC.

We will need a proper coach and support staff.

Omar Khan can manage the team.

Gun_Play 2018-04-12 20:23:07 

In reply to Emir

Not one will play.

The sooner u realise this the easier it will be for u.

FuzzyWuzzy 2018-04-12 21:03:44 

In reply to Emir

Why don't you pick the entire Trinidad team and done?

sgtdjones 2018-04-13 00:36:49 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

Limestone Fuzzy

Calm dong fuzzy

Polly has given the WICB/CWI over 2 million US

The 10 % dem crooks collect when he plays overseas.

He owes CWI nutting fer development.

lol lol lol

hawk 2018-04-13 07:00:33 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

i was saying the same thing as i read Emir's post, makes them all sound like the best thing since sliced bread

if i recall correctly when those guys were playing, we suffered defeat after defeat

DIEHARD 2018-04-13 07:02:04 

In reply to hawk

Need to jog u memory

Khaga 2018-04-13 10:13:16 

In reply to Halliwell

For touring Pakistan.. lol

sgtdjones 2018-04-13 22:32:25 

In reply to hawk

oh yea when dem not playing we winning so much
we had to play in a qualifying tourney with minnows and barely came second.

Now what was ya point again?

rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes

WestDem 2018-04-13 22:51:09 

Why this thread get to a second page over some fcuking fake money hungry fcuk is beyond me. Tell him, we going to the WC with who helped us qualify! Even his ODI stats is ashamed! lol lol lol lol

sgtdjones 2018-04-14 00:46:11 

In reply to WestDem

cussbud

Ya into the ElDorado again huh?

razz razz razz

hawk 2018-04-15 15:16:20 

In reply to sgtdjones

What I am saying is that, even with these players Pollard and others that is, who many on this MB, seem to be of the opinion that they are much better than the current crop, we were getting beaten left right and centre. plus they are not as committed to the West Indian cause at a level we would want.

Pollard's ODI returns (runs and wickets) have been very modest, if it was up to me his return to the west indies team would depend on his success in the super50, which means he better be prepared to play some serious domestic cricket

the only "automatic pick" (and this depends on him demonstrating a solid commitment level) he can command would be in the T20 side, his numbers in that format is decent enough plus his vast experience

Priapus 2018-04-16 19:40:14 

Looks like Zlatan Ibrahimovic has been hanging out with Polly. He has indicated that he may come out of international retirement to play for Sweden at the World Cup.

jacksprat 2018-04-17 13:17:22 

In reply to Halliwell

Successful teams don’t ‘carry’ players

Really?

The successful West Indies team of the late 80s-90s carried Carl Hooper for years!

Of more recent vintage, the successful West Indies T20 team carried one notable passenger, while winning 2 championships

natty_forever 2018-04-17 13:22:30 

In reply to DIEHARD... if Pollard was Bajan, based on your assessment, he should be captain.

lol