The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

HEADLINE: Lara: I would've loved to see Warner reach 400

CaribbeanCricket.com 2019-12-03 06:10:24 

David Warner, last Saturday, became the seventh Australian to score a Test triple-century during the second Test against Pakistan in Adelaide.

The left hander surpassed Don Bradman and Mark Taylor's highest scores of 334 and looked set to go past the highest individual Test score of 400 set by the West Indies great Brian Lara before skipper Tim Paine declared the innings with Warner unbeaten on 335.

Coincidentally, Lara was also in Adelaide on the day Warner reached his maiden Test triple-century and was expecting the opener to break his record. The legendary batsman revealed that he was looking forward to congratulate Warner in person had the Australian surpassed his highest score, just as Gary Sobers had done when he achieved the feat.

Read more at Sportstar

Full Story

Ninetenjack 2019-12-03 11:13:34 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com

Ha ha...Lara ever the politician.....
big grin

Said something similar about Shiv after they denied him the chance to break the most test runs by a West Indian as well.

Cricket_101 2019-12-03 18:14:11 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com

Rubbish...
The princess is using reverse psychology; him na want no one to broke he record... big grin big grin big grin

Barry 2019-12-03 18:35:53 

In reply to Ninetenjack
Can you provide the evidence that he said the same thing with Shiv. Another thought from one's bottom?

confused

Barry 2019-12-03 18:36:53 

In reply to Cricket_101

The princess is using reverse psychology; him na want no one to broke he record...

Everyone things like Viv-the true princess? Where is Keith?

confused

Cricket_101 2019-12-03 19:38:49 

In reply to Barry

Viv is a true legend. His cricket speaks for itself.... #masterblaster.

Trinidave 2019-12-03 21:10:15 

Brian -- TriniD was born at night. But not phorquene last night. But nice statement, especially since you were in Aus at de time.

Class act. But TriniD not buying be BS. big grin big grin

Trinidave 2019-12-03 21:10:22 

Brian -- TriniD was born at night. But not phorquene last night. But nice statement, especially since you were in Aus at de time.

Class act. But TriniD not buying be BS. big grin big grin

Barry 2019-12-03 21:34:32 

In reply to Cricket_101
Viv is a true legend to all his partners and children?

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Barry 2019-12-03 21:40:12 

when he marry Neena?

My eldest daughter, Matara, is 34 and lives in Canada. She works in the Antigua and Barbuda consulate in Toronto. I’ve very proud of her and what she’s achieving. Mali, who is two years younger, is a part-owner of an art gallery in Antigua and I’m very happy for him as well. He tried to partake in cricket, but I guess that was always going to be tough for him, following in my footsteps. I did have a chat with him about what he was trying to pursue and how hard it was going to be for him and how much pressure would be placed on him. I guess he didn’t quite take my advice. I have a third daughter, Masaba, from my marriage [to the Indian actor Neena Gupta]. I’m very proud of her too; she designs clothes for the Bollywood film industry.

Link Text

To note, Masaba Gupta was born to actress Neena Gupta and West Indian Vivian Richards when they were in a relationship in the 80s. However, the couple never got married. Meanwhile, Viv Richards is presently married to Miriam and Neena Gupta is now married to chartered accountant Vivek Mehra.

Link Text

A true princess lies all the time
lol See prince Andrew

Jumpstart 2019-12-04 15:39:20 

In reply to Cricket_101

Viv is an amazing batsman............and an angry emotional, tribal man.....who speaks colloquial in an american accent......truly awful. Every time viv "helped" wi cricket, it was on his own terms i.e attempting to undermine the captain(lara) for adam sanford who was playing for leeward islands.......that to me is serious princess behavior. Gus loagie said as much when responding to richard's criticism of the team. He never helps....only runs to the media when he has something to say(preferably english media who love to report on anything negative with WI cricket). Dottie syndrome on steroids. Plenty of the posters here have that disease too.

Barry 2019-12-04 16:58:26 

In reply to Jumpstart
i respect you, sir

cool

Jumpstart 2019-12-04 18:17:48 

In reply to Barry

I have enormous respect for Viv and Andy Roberts' cricketing exploits.They are arrogant as hell as persons though. Nobody who had to play under them has anything good to say about them: not adams, not curtly, nobody.

Cricket_101 2019-12-04 19:33:48 

In reply to Barry

Stop sucking up big grin big grin big grin

Cricket_101 2019-12-04 19:37:01 

In reply to Jumpstart

I have enormous respect for Viv and Andy Roberts' cricketing exploits.They are arrogant as hell as persons though. Nobody who had to play under them has anything good to say about them: not adams, not curtly, nobody.

I agreed with ur above post and some content of earlier one. However, it's your view and of which I respect.
What about the Lara/Hooper captaincy saga...?

Jumpstart 2019-12-04 21:53:01 

In reply to Cricket_101

Lara gave hooper full support. There are some rumors that they did not see eye to eye on caotaincy but look at lara's figures......he did very well under hooper with the exception of one tour: the 2002 india tour where he was coming back from a broken hand. Lest we forget, the 600+ runs in three tests on doctored pitches in Sri Lanka were under Hoops. The hundred in the first match of the world cup against SA in a match where Lara came in at 2/1 and scored a magnificent hundred wsd also under Hooper.

Let me tell you something, Lara was not half the premadona media whores like holding and richards claimed. I remember reading an article on Cricket Australia's website about the 99 Australia series between us and them and every player had the same thing to say about lara: he was a calm guy who barely made any fuss about matters. Hell in jamaica they gave him a team where 3 of the four batsmen would play less than 5 tests for the west indies. And he just went about the business.Perry and Pedro Collins said they admired that about him. You dont conquer adversity by moaning. If idiots like samuels and co were half as dedicated as lara, they would not be averaging in the 30s and 40s. And in hindsight, it is universally accepted that he was right in player wage matters as it afflicted us for close to 20 years.

I can imagine how Richards would have reacted had he been given out wrongly the amount of times lara has had this happened to him. I remember once, viv virtually gifted his wicket away against England at Kensington oval in 1990. I think he made 70 odd, skied a ball and got caught. He sat down on the steps of the pavilion, threw his pads down and his gloves. The commentator said that Viv richards is not somebody you should approach now. Later in the series, he ran into the ARG press box to attack a journalist.

The press have written worse things about lara of a personal nature....Scyld Berry in particular and not once has lara reacted like that. Even when lara broke the 380, Viv and Andy tried to denigrate the innings by saying lara could not play the bouncer. Onky three men had negative opinions: Ponting, who was captain of the previous record holder and even he was lambasted by the Chappell brothers for pettiness and our two Uncle Remus' , Andy and Viv

As i said, in cricket circles in the WI, viv and andy are respected for their cricket exploits. But that is it. I remember Sir Curtly writing in his book how right before in infamous 95 series that ended our unbeaten run, the WICBC changed the manager from kanhai who was very popular with the team, to Andy Roberts, He did not elaborate but he said it was distracting and of course the
inference was that Andy was not as popular and was an autocrat

Barry 2019-12-05 02:56:39 

I can’t believe that there is someone truly knowledgeable on this board- this is an impossible dream confused

Jumpstart 2019-12-05 13:11:44 

In reply to Barry

the only person i saw who had a somewhat legitimate criticism of lara was Allan Donald in his book White lightning. His complaint was that during the SA tour, lara seemed to be always moody and at times unapproachable. And quite frankly if i was lara i would have been pissed too. The tour had been messed up by Pat Rousseau's arrogance and not wanting to pay the players the increase they were promised after the England series in 1998. What is unfortunate is clive lloyd's and viv's criticisms. They blamed lara instead of blaming Rousseau, who the problem emanated from. I don't know if they wanted jobs or what. Rousseau even tried to lie about lara in an article in the Jamaica observer a few years ago. Blatant untruths that Courtney Walsh disproved and the Observer only made an apology at the back of the paper when Lara sent them a pre-action protocol letter.

Barry 2019-12-05 13:18:43 

In reply to Jumpstart

I think you are a former administrator or player confused cool

Casper 2019-12-05 14:40:24 

I have a third daughter, Masaba, from my marriage [to the Indian actor Neena Gupta]. I’m very proud of her too; she designs clothes for the Bollywood film industry.

What is Viv talking about here?

Neena Gupta

Personal life

She was in a highly publicised relationship with former West Indian cricketer Vivian Richards in the 1980s, with whom she has a daughter, Masaba Gupta, a designer. Neena never married Richards and chose to raise Masaba as a single-mother in India. It was at that time she chose to move the family from New Delhi to Mumbai. On 15 July 2008, Neena married New Delhi-based Vivek Mehra, a chartered accountant and Partner with PwC India in a secret ceremony in the United States.

camos 2019-12-05 17:33:06 

why all this immaturity ?

Jumpstart 2019-12-05 17:42:41 

In reply to camos

Rubbish...
The princess is using reverse psychology; him na want no one to broke he record... big grin big grin big grin

Its not immaturity. It's a response

Cricket_101 2019-12-05 18:08:36 

In reply to camos

why all this immaturity ?

Elaborate. You honestly believe Lara would like/be happy if his record to broken?

Cricket_101 2019-12-05 18:13:57 

In reply to Jumpstart

Nicely written...
Like I told you many years ago. Your material is always eloquent like keynote speaker. cool

Jumpstart 2019-12-05 19:10:34 

In reply to Cricket_101
I don't know. I never got the impression that Sir Gary had the artistic temperament. The moodiness, the sudden and unexplained drop to mediocrity. Lara however had it. I suspect lara knows his record will be broken one day. I however don't think that he would have liked a batsman like Warner who is not only controversial but obviously technically limited breaking it. Warner looked embarrassingly ordinary in England and generally against the moving ball .I would not. If i was lara, i would have liked Kohli, Sharma or babar azam breaking it.........or even a west indian who develops the temperament to bat for 2.5 days....essentially, an ambassador for the game

Barry 2019-12-06 03:13:33 

In reply to Cricket_101

He said records were meant to be broken... confused

Cricket_101 2019-12-06 14:42:44 

In reply to Barry

.... but that does not mean, he’s sitting with a bag of popcorns waiting for his record to be broken. Lara record is a feat and footnote in cricket history. I’d go on a lim to say he’d like it remain...