The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

What a joy listening to Dr. Wayne Frederick

Chrissy 2020-04-08 21:14:57 

President of Howard University

Wayne is a Trini.

As the 17th President of Howard University, Dr. Wayne A. I. Frederick is dedicated to continuing the University’s legacy as a world-class academic and research institution.

Dr. Frederick’s leadership is underscored by a renewed commitment to academic excellence and access to an affordable education. An example of this commitment is the Office for Undergraduate Studies, created to ensure that students have a successful academic experience consisting of curricular and co-curricular activities. He also introduced the Graduation & Retention Access for Continued Excellence (GRACE) grant program, which provides need-based funding designed to reduce financial barriers and increase on-time graduation.

As a triple alumnus, Dr. Frederick’s dedication to Howard University spans more than two decades, beginning with his enrollment as a 16-year-old student. Born in Port of Spain, Trinidad, he was admitted to Howard University with the dream of becoming a physician. His passion to serve and to heal was fueled by his personal experience with sickle cell anemia, a hereditary disease he has lived with since birth.

Dr. Frederick earned a Bachelor of Science degree and a Doctor of Medicine in a combined six-year program and completed his surgical residency training at Howard University Hospital. After fulfilling his post-doctoral research and surgical oncology fellowships at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Dr. Frederick began his academic career at the University of Connecticut. He served on the faculty of the Department of Surgery, as well as the Associate Program Director of the Surgery Residency and Associate Director of the Cancer Center.

Casper 2020-04-08 23:39:15 

Saw him on Chuck Todd this evening. I was very impressed with his presentation and explanation the historical issues that impact Black Americans, and which are now complicating the ability of some to overcome the Covid-19.

He, himself, has to be very careful since he suffers from sickle cell anemia

What so many American are coming to learn , if they did not know it before, is how systemic and structural racism have impacted black health.

STRUCTURAL RACISM AND HEALTH INEQUITIES.

Chrissy 2020-04-09 00:20:03 

In reply to Casper

Same here - I was very impressed - and I loved the fact that he still has his Trini accent

birdseye 2020-04-09 01:24:33 

In reply to Chrissy

I saw him on meet the press and detected his Trini accent. I had planned to google him and forgot. A very impressive man....I am always perplexed when black folks end up with the short end of the stick and the power structure se they have to study why --- they really don’t know why? - they cant even allow them to get Obama care - DAMN!

Chrissy 2020-04-09 16:31:55 

In reply to birdseye

Wayne was excellent yesterday - way more socially conscious than your average doctor.
Racism is institutional and deliberate. I watched a mother on MSNBC this morning wailing about her disabled daughter's death. As she put it, the supermarket sent her her daughter's paycheck $20.64 cents after she died - my daughter died for this. They didn't even provide a box of gloves for the staff.
Leilani had cerebral palsy and helped pack goods for senior citizens.

birdseye 2020-04-09 18:52:31 

In reply to Chrissy

As she put it, the supermarket sent her her daughter's paycheck $20.64 cents after she died
WOW! What a world, what a people - SAD