The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

HEADLINE: Mentality under the microscope, laments Brathwaite

CaribbeanCricket.com 2023-03-13 15:19:03 

West Indies captain Kraigg Brathwaite has questioned his side’s mentality after they crashed to a heavy 284-run defeat inside four days of the decisive second Test against South Africa.

The Caribbean side dismissed the hosts for 321 in their second innings on Saturday, but then crumbled spectacularly for 106, after being set an improbable target of 391 at the Wanderers.

“It’s only mental,” said a solemn-faced Brathwaite, moments after the batting capitulation.

“I think technically yes, we can work on the flaws. So the thing is, you can work on your weaknesses, you can work on your strengths, but your mind has to be in the right place.

Read more at Jamaica Gleaner

Full Story

positiveg 2023-03-13 16:26:31 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com

I've said this before and have been saying it increasingly after I've seen our women's and U19 performances in the just concluded WC's
Our players seem to be mentally weak when we come up against certain teams and in certain circumstances.
We are just too weak

camos 2023-03-13 16:44:20 

In reply to positiveg

No amount of mental strength is going to compensate for inadequate physical preparation.

Halliwell 2023-03-13 17:09:35 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com

Don’t need a microscope to look at what stevie wonder can see

Sylobaby 2023-03-14 00:44:35 

Actually Brathwaite is a very poor captain. With a more positive captain we would beat Zimbabwe 2/0. At lunch On day three of the 2nd test against S/A we had them in trouble at 69/4. All four wickets were taken by seamers but after lunch Brathwaite turned to his spinners for 25 overs before giving Myers a bowl. Joseph was not used properly and when the 2nd new ball was due he couldn’t even give it to Joseph. So poor captaincy is our biggest problem. Then off course Riefer is no number 3 batsman

doosra 2023-03-14 00:51:25 

this comes largely from a lack of skill and technical capacity...

of course there are exceptions like the Hoopers of the world but if you have no skill you have no tool to fight

try being mentally tough if you don't know where your offstump is

imusic 2023-03-14 00:58:59 

Brathwaite can’t complain too much.

He has the side HE wants.

Now he has to eat it just like other before him did.

doosra 2023-03-14 01:23:32 

In reply to imusic

why are you blaming him for guys who don't want to make themselves available for test cricket?

imusic 2023-03-14 02:35:06 

In reply to doosra

Huh? He has HIS team. Have nothing to do with who not on it.

He has who he wants. Deal with it. Doh bawl bout mentality now.

Mentality was part of the selling point for those he wanted

Onionman0 2023-03-14 06:08:54 

In reply to imusic

Braithwaite doesn't have the honesty or integrity to own up the blame for failure of the team.....u correctly pointed out that his got the team he wanted ..Chase,Reifer& Mayers in top 5....is a recipe for disaster.... addon is his poor captaincy....So, like his mentor Ice cream man and The Politician....he finds something to blame!!!! He should also be sacked as Captain!!! Come March 25....

Halliwell 2023-03-14 09:28:44 

In reply to doosra

Fire ice cream man NOW!!!!!

Courtesy 2023-03-14 12:11:46 

In reply to doosra

this comes largely from a lack of skill and technical capacity...

of course there are exceptions like the Hoopers of the world but if you have no skill you have no tool to fight

try being mentally tough if you don't know where your offstump is

Once again, you are on point...good stuff.

If you cannot do a proper problem identification you will not find the ideal soluition.

sudden 2023-03-14 13:12:14 

In reply to Courtesy

i think we should install Michael as cappo and try to instill a new mindset in the team

Courtesy 2023-03-14 13:18:48 

In reply to sudden

Michael is dead wood. His arrogance has him where he is today...thinking that he was the new Bryan.

Let him stay where he is now. Besides, it makes more sense investing in a youngster.

sudden 2023-03-14 13:19:54 

In reply to Courtesy

like who?

which youngster?

Courtesy 2023-03-14 13:21:16 

In reply to sudden

There is a "standby your man" Athan...his regional record does not inspire any confidence but from all reports he is keen and willing to learn.

There is also a list of trainees prepared by CWI...give them a break.

This current West Indies test side is worthless (lacking the requiste skill level for test).

sudden 2023-03-14 14:02:46 

In reply to Courtesy

athanaze?

most interesting

must be some requirements to be a cappo if it isnt situational. what are they, if you know?

Courtesy 2023-03-14 14:05:21 

In reply to sudden

It is very simple...if you cannot dominate our lowly placed regionals you stand very little chance in tests.

seaegg99 2023-03-14 14:29:36 

In reply to Courtesy

It is very simple...if you cannot dominate our lowly placed regionals you stand very little chance in tests.

Our problem for many a year now. KB is not a great captain but he is mentally strong but technically challenged. Most of the other players are lacking on both mental and technical areas of the game. They do not know the game as i would say. I could bet most couldn't really identify the different fielding positions.

Overthrow 2023-03-14 14:46:24 

We sent a bad team on that tour. The win in Zimbabwe was a surprise. The result in SA reflected the ability of the team. Brittle middle order batting, lacking focus on the game. Any continuity with some of these players will yield similar results.

sudden 2023-03-14 14:58:48 

In reply to Overthrow

name the players who will yield better results

Overthrow 2023-03-14 22:06:07 

In reply to sudden

Our success lies with players who are in ascendancy. As I mentioned before the bowling is good and will be competitive with stability in the batting. Let some new “blood “ into the team to develop at the international level. Athanaze, Carty, Imlach show potential. We continue to fall miserably with this middle order batting.
In the early 70’s we were struggling with putting together a competitive team. I recall Lloyd and Charlie Davis as the opening bowling attack against India in the fourth test. The batting was a struggle. We took a young inexperienced team to England with khanhai as captain. Our fortunes changed dramatically after we won that series. Doors were opened for players in ascendancy then.

openning 2023-03-14 22:12:36 

In reply to Overthrow
How would these players develop without having a few good international players to guide them?
The blind should never guide another blind person.

Overthrow 2023-03-14 22:24:14 

In reply to openning

Positivity feeds off itself. In the series in England mentioned before, Boyce and Julien inspired the rest of the team with their eagerness and determination. The rest of the team stepped up their game.

sudden 2023-03-14 22:29:20 

In reply to openning

Believing that Imlach, Athanaze and Carty would have or will make a difference is more hope than surety.

But there is nothing wrong with trying it

Blackbird 2023-03-14 22:32:56 

In reply to camos spend some of that time improving technique

openning 2023-03-14 22:41:29 

In reply to Overthrow
There have been a few partnerships over the years when West Indies cricket was not it best, but history should show us, you need a few good to great experience International players on your team.

sudden anyone that will pay to get improvement in his game, I support. I am so proud of Athanaze for going to England and doing work with Toby, now it is up to him, to get someone in Dominica to work with.

Overthrow 2023-03-14 23:00:47 

On that tour Sobers, Rowe (recently got into the team) and Camacho were all injured and did not play. Kallicharan and Willet were also recent additions. Julien and David Murray on debut. Lloyd had not yet cemented his place on the team. A few other players had less than 15 test games.

sudden 2023-03-14 23:16:06 

In reply to Overthrow

You do know those new entrants performed well in Shell Shield when it was of a higher standard than nowadays, right?

Overthrow 2023-03-14 23:27:15 

In reply to sudden

There is some weight to your point, my position is selectors were willing to move forward. After that series Richards, Roberts and Greenidge were added to the team. Multiple changes to the team changed our fortunes. Despite their contributions players such as Khanhai, Sobers, Camacho and Foster were overlooked for the test team.

Overthrow 2023-03-14 23:32:40 

Forgot Larry Gomes was also added to the team. I recall being surprised at the time.

openning 2023-03-14 23:33:29 

In reply to Overthrow

On that tour Sobers, Rowe (recently got into the team)

I do know this is incorrect, I was in Canada 2 years before Rowe made the team, and it was more than a decade after Sir Gary broke the test record.
Sir Gary was one of the leaders on Sir Frank 1960 team against Australia in 1960.

sudden 2023-03-14 23:38:36 

In reply to Overthrow

And the WI team was a good team not like this one.

What I am trying to say is those were different circumstances eg an aging team needing replacements

I am not against trying something but remember, correlation does not imply causation

Overthrow 2023-03-14 23:40:26 

In reply to openning

Rowe went to Australia in 72, suffering some type of leg injury that did not allow him to play in the England tour. Charlie Davis turned down his invite for unknown reasons. One can only speculate his battle with Parkinson’s may have arisen at that point in time.

Overthrow 2023-03-14 23:49:31 

In reply to sudden

We must have the temerity to try something different, results are not being achieved with the current team.

sudden 2023-03-15 00:04:07 

In reply to Overthrow

You do know that temerity connotes a certain degree of reckless behavior

Overthrow 2023-03-15 00:09:57 

In reply to sudden

I would prefer audacious behaviour big grin

natty_forever 2023-03-15 02:10:45 

In reply to sudden

What are these fellows FC average?

natty_forever 2023-03-15 02:14:32 

In reply to Overthrow

A drowning man clutches at a straw.