Food for thought about the African Continent

Page: previous  1 2
Ayenmol 4/24/24, 7:07:35 PM
- edited -
KTom 4/25/24, 1:23:07 PM
KTom avatar image

debut: 7/22/22
784 runs

I am as convinced that Slipfeeler has not read Rodney's book as I am that sgtdjones hasn't been to Machu Picchu.
Slipfeeler 4/25/24, 3:42:33 PM
Slipfeeler avatar image

debut: 12/22/15
7,418 runs

In reply to KTom

Uncle Tom, I know that you are just being facetious, especially since based on your previous arguments that you have no concept or even knowledge of the existence of such a book but I am in a great mood today, so I am willing to oblige you and your buddys, as I am actually in lecture mode today.

This is a textbook studied by many of us who are interested in Pan-Africanism, another concept which might be foreign to you, but the book describes how Africa was deliberately exploited and underdeveloped by European colonial countries. One of his main arguments throughout the book is contrasting development of both Europe and Africa, that Africa developed Europe at the same rate that Europe underdeveloped Africa.

In other words, they took our resources to develop Europe, while deliberately destroying the socio-economic infrastructures of many African countries by looting, raping, murders, mass enslavement and brutal punishments.

Rodney was balanced in his overview that there are some blame to be placed on some Africans but there was overwhelming evidence relating to combination of politics and economic exploitation of Africa by Europeans which has resulted in the poor state of African political and economic development evident in the late 20th century.

There you have a synopsis on the book, now as your homework, read the book then provide us with an intelligent rebuttal. Remember asking questions is not a rebuttal, we need concrete evidence that you have actually read the book.
- edited -
sgtdjones 4/25/24, 6:48:40 PM
sgtdjones avatar image

debut: 2/16/17
35,131 runs

In reply to Slipfeeler

We got a KTom peer review...razz
sgtdjones 4/26/24, 6:12:11 AM
sgtdjones avatar image

35,131 runs

In reply to KTom

I read Walter Rodney's book "How Europe Underdeveloped Africa." Published in 1972, this book offers his analysis of the economic and historical factors that played a role in Africa's underdevelopment under European colonial rule.

Rodney examines the effects of European colonialism on Africa's social, political, and economic systems, highlighting its exploitative nature. The author argues that the imperialistic policies of European powers led to the depletion of Africa's resources and had a profound impact on its indigenous socio-economic systems. He also asserts that this disruption hindered Africa's advancement and perpetuated its reliance on the global capitalist system.

Rodney explores various aspects of African history, including the transatlantic slave trade, labor exploitation, the imposition of colonial administration, and the extraction of natural resources. He emphasizes the systematic marginalization of Africa through these processes, resulting in economic disparities, political instability, and social inequality. He conveniently omits mentioning the African contribution to this failure. If one were to conduct a comprehensive analysis of the slave trade, it would become evident that this abhorrent chapter in human history was the result of collaboration between two parties, leading to detrimental consequences . There were African chiefs and slave traders making a business deal, the chiefs successfully captured and sold their own kind.

Rodney noted the lasting effects of neo-colonialism, multinational corporations, and international financial institutions in "How Europe Underdeveloped Africa," even after the continent gained independence. The author emphasizes the need for African nations to regain economic independence, adopt fair development strategies, and challenge the existing global power dynamics.

Rodney's book has made an impact in the fields of postcolonial studies, African history, and development economics. This work offers an analysis of the enduring impact that European colonialism had on Africa's development. Academicians and researchers on occasions refer to this work to enhance their understanding of the historical context and systemic challenges that have influenced the current socioeconomic landscape of Africa.

Walter Rodney's "How Europe Underdeveloped Africa" sheds light on the long-lasting effects of European colonialism and African underdevelopment. This book provides his analysis of the historical, economic, and political factors that have shaped Africa's development. In addition, for some individuals, it continues to be a subject that provides intellectual stimulation in relation to decolonization, development, and global inequalities.

Once more, he neglects to acknowledge the actions of African leaders and dictators who sold off rights to different aspects of their country to foreigners and what has happened to Africa after colonial rule owing to publication in 1972.
- edited -
KTom 4/26/24, 10:05:33 AM
KTom avatar image

debut: 7/22/22
784 runs

Still I'm certain that nobody here has read the book, but now that I found a free copy online, I may have a read as my busy schedule allows.

This is a textbook studied by many of us who are interested in Pan-Africanism, another concept which might be foreign to you, but the book describes how Africa was deliberately exploited and underdeveloped by European colonial countries.

The problem I have with Pan-Africanism is the same I have with Pan-Europeanism - the concept is somewhat arbitrary. From a historical perspective, it makes more sense to invoke a tripartite division (albeit somewhat arbitrary). Northern Europe, the Mediterranean (Southern Europe, Middle East and North Africa) and sub-Saharan Africa. This thread's opening post reminds us of the huge size of Africa - the Sahara alone is about the size of the United States - so the distinction between North and Southern Africa seems as sensible as that between Canada and Mexico.

I note that Rodney is described online as a Marxist. It's a pity he was unable to decolonise himself of this European ideology. But he was hardly alone in that - post WWII, many countries including China and India fell under the influence of Marxism and the Soviet bloc and their economies stagnated for decades.
- edited -
sgtdjones 4/27/24, 1:41:11 AM
sgtdjones avatar image

35,131 runs

In reply to KTom

You haven't read the book , never been to Machu Picchu but giving peer reviews... shock
JayMor 4/30/24, 6:09:59 PM
JayMor avatar image

debut: 12/15/02
7,442 runs

In reply to Slipfeeler
Have a safe an enjoyable trip my brother, make sure to visit Cape Coast Castle, Kakum National Park, Kumar Nkrumah National Park, the Aburi Botanical Garden, among others. I will be there in August.

Only one among those I haven't done in the past, and weird enough it's the first one on most visitor's lists: the slave castles. Previously, I had not felt in any state of mind to do it, but I've 'muscled up' and will go on Thursday. Kwame Nkrumah Park (not "Kumar") has been improved-- surprise! When next you get up to Aburi do take in Jamaica Village-- good story there. And no recommendation of stuff out east? Akosombo dam, Monkey Sanctuary, Vli Falls, etc., and even cross the Togo border (due to Elections there I didn't last week).
Was lucky that my run to Kumasi coincicded with a festival commemorating the silver jubilee of the Asantehene at the palace. Good stuff! And I'll catch all-female band Lipstick Queens playing reggae tomorrow night at Plus-233 club here in Accra.

--Æ.
Slipfeeler 4/30/24, 6:49:42 PM
Slipfeeler avatar image

debut: 12/22/15
7,418 runs

In reply to JayMor

I understand that the Jamaica Village is more, heard that Ras and his Empress broke up and she moved to Accra. After about 30 years of struggle and now when business starting to look up with the large influx of Jamaican visitors and relocation, they broke up.

I agree the Cape Coast Castle can be very emotional, most people are in tears whenever they visited, Obama cried, Kamala cried, Venessa Williams cried, Steve Harvey cried, I think even Biden cried. Not for the faint of heart.
sgtdjones 4/30/24, 6:55:47 PM
sgtdjones avatar image

35,131 runs

In reply to JayMor

When I was challenged by a poster claiming I didn't visit Ghana, that night I posted few pictures showing various sites also my Visit to Robben Island
That thread was deleted by moderators.

I have a question :

Due to its involvement in the transatlantic slave trade, the Asante Kingdom, located in modern-day Ghana, held significant influence as a West African empire.
Furthermore, because slavery was important to the Asante, they, like many conservatives, opposed the British's efforts to end the slave trade.

The Asante Empire permitted the slave trade until the British outlawed it in 1874.

The history of the Asante highlights the fact that individuals, regardless of their background, possess the ability to make thoughtful and strategic choices.
Portraying them as innocent victims disregards their ability to take action.

While some may emphasize Europe's involvement in imperialism and slavery for political reasons, it is important not to overlook the significance of sharing the stories of African individuals.
By neglecting to do so, we fail to do justice to their experiences.
In summary, it's crucial to understand that restricting individuals to solely exhibiting virtuous behavior can occasionally result in the perception of their lack of maturity or experience.

This individual Ancestors were slave traders why is his silver jubilee being celebrated, PM Rowley is present in Ghana.
If my ancestors were used in such manner , I wouldn't be present.
Is this Asante giving reparations?
- edited -
JayMor 5/1/24, 5:20:15 AM
JayMor avatar image

7,442 runs

In reply to Slipfeeler

Wow, I didn't hear about Ras and the Empress splitting up. That's sad. I have to go up to Somanya so I'll stop in there.

Yup, I've decided, like ir or not, JayMor, this time you must go, eh! I'll do both Elmina Castle and Cape Coast Castle in the one trip.

--Æ.
JayMor 5/1/24, 8:07:59 PM
JayMor avatar image

7,442 runs

In reply to sgtdjones

The world is complex, Sarge; locking oneself into a single issue is no way to really comprehend the our universe, not in any aspect of it-- not the physical, not the spiritual, and certainly not the historical. Just yesterday, this "successful" Jamaican-American lady visitor I met here realised I support Ukraine over Russia and went on to lay out her absolute hate for Russia, China, Cuba, etc. Now, Miss lady thinks that because she has money and has been travelling the world the last 5-10 years, her opinion must be important. When I countered that without Fidel, Cuba and Russia, Mandela might have died in prison and South Africa my still have been in Apartheid, she didn't quite mnow where to turn and so she toned it down.

Also, if I'm to follow your simple reasoning I'd be forced to split myself. See, I'm part Maroon, and it's fashionable at the moment fot Jamaicans to hate the Maroons because they used to capture and had over runaway slaves back to the British. Single issue strikes again! That completely discounts the fact that (i)
they had a society to build, replete with family and children, and so couldn't be fighting and running all the time, and (ii) they didn't return all runaways; some they took in, especially women and children.

Back to Asante. They are certainly guilty as charged. But who provided the incentive? And I'll have you know that some kingdoms, although under aegis of the Asantehene (King) in Kumase were vehemently against the slave trade and didn't allow it. Several Asantefuo (Asante people) were traded too, whether captured in war by the Fantes (the Asante's main rivals who are also a closely related Akan people) or prisoners sold off. Those that went to Jamaica were who organised Maroon societies and were the warriors. If the presence of the bloodline isn't enough the certainly we black Yardies owe them homage for the fight they put up against our oppressors and, as it were, leading us out of bondage.

Can be several aspects to a story, my friend.

--Æ.
Brerzerk 5/1/24, 8:43:40 PM
Brerzerk avatar image

debut: 3/16/21
10,178 runs

In reply to JayMor

ask him to show the proof of whose ancestors were slave traders and why did the other ancestors sell that particular ancestor instead of keeping him involved in the trade. SMH
sgtdjones 5/1/24, 11:10:26 PM
sgtdjones avatar image

35,131 runs

In reply to JayMor

I ask questions , so I can hear the other side that I am not aware off.

Its how I learn....

In fact, when in 1820 the British told the Ashanti ruler Asantehene (King) Osei Bonsu that the slave trade was to be abolished for humanitarian reasons, his response was, “The white men who go to council with your master, and pray to the great God for him, do not understand my country, or they would not say the slave trade was bad.”

Ashanti king a curious choice

During the 19th century, the Ashanti fought several wars with the British, who sought to eliminate the slave trade and expand their control in the region. A series of defeats at the hands of the British gradually weakened and reduced the territory of the Ashanti kingdom.
One of the conditions imposed on Asante after the War of 1874 was that Britain was to take two of the sons of King Karikari of Asante to be ‘educated in British culture and civilisation.’ The boys were subsequently taken to England where one of them soon succumbed to tuberculosis. This death influenced the British to find a safer place of exile for the remaining Asante Prince, William Kofi Nti, in Trinidad in the West Indies.

Prince Kofi Nti of Asante and Trinidad
- edited -
JayMor 5/3/24, 4:44:00 PM
JayMor avatar image

7,442 runs

In reply to sgtdjones

In reply to JayMor

I ask questions , so I can hear the other side that I am not aware off. Its how I learn.

Not 100% true there, Sarge, because you weng beyond tha with:

As for the rest, I'll have to defer. Just done with the third slave castle.

--Æ.
sgtdjones 5/3/24, 8:03:08 PM
sgtdjones avatar image

35,131 runs

In reply to JayMor

It appears that you didn't fully understand my comment.
If my forefathers experienced one of the most brutal and humiliating types of mistreatment against mankind as enslaved individuals,
I would have knowledge of the historical events, but I would not have personally witnessed them. The emotions would have been overwhelming.

During my visit to Ghana, I embarked on a vessel and ventured out to sea.
There the guides showed us sharks persistently circling centuries later, a haunting reminder of the past's callous dumping of slaves overboard.
Reflecting on such cruelty evoked a profound emotional response.

It's common for one generation to pass on a genuine understanding of what happened. Consequently, I inquire.
I possess an extensive comprehension of the ordeals faced by my forefathers and mothers, indentured workers during British colonial authority,
as well as the magnitude of the brutality inflicted upon my forefathers by the Spaniards and the Catholic Church.
Currently, I choose not to participate in any events that honor or remember the act of colonization.

I have a strong desire to improve my knowledge and actively participate in deep investigation, aiming to comprehend
diverse viewpoints and gain a thorough understanding of the events that occurred.
Only after witnessing the other perspective can I truly comprehend the difficulties they encountered and form an opinion.
- edited -
Page: previous  1 2