In reply to JayMor

Thanks for the Pictures and advice .
However the Building Codes in Florida
were upgraded after Hurricane Andrew .

That being the case the devastation
may not be as wide as in 1992 . The fact is that IRMA is much bigger than
ANDREW .

My take is that the Current building
Codes are going to be Tested . If they fail because of IRMA , then I have absolutely no doubt that they will again be revised .

Consideration must be given to the differences of the Structure of buildings , in essence whether the Structure of buildings .

Obviously buildings made of reinforced concrete & reinforced by rebars will be much more resistant to
Hurricanes ; than a Structure made of
Wood .

link Chrissy Joined: Nov 14, 2002
9/9/17 7:52:08 AM 
In reply to POINT

Poor Cuba -what anight

link nitro Joined: Apr 10, 2003
9/9/17 9:28:36 AM 
Cuba taking a bigger hit should spare Fl a more dangerous hurricane.

Ft. Lauderdale safe.

link mikesiva Joined: Jan 12, 2007
9/9/17 11:51:05 AM 
"The death toll in the storm's wake across the Caribbean climbed to 22 early on Saturday. The dead included 11 on St. Martin and St. Barts, four in the U.S. Virgin Islands, four in the British Virgin Islands and one each on Anguilla and Barbuda. Also, a 16-year-old junior professional surfer drowned in Barbados on Tuesday while surfing large swells generated by an approaching Irma. Many victims picked through the rubble of what had once been Caribbean dream getaway homes. On Friday, looting and gunshots were reported on St. Martin, and a curfew was imposed in the U.S. Virgin Islands."

More here

9/9/17 12:01:29 PM 
In reply to mikesiva

A man in Florida died putting up hurricane shutters - fell, hit his head and was pronounced DOA at hospital.

9/9/17 12:40:27 PM 
In reply to Chrissy

Jeez....

St Martin and St Barthelemy: Six out of 10 homes on St Martin, an island shared between France and the Netherlands, now uninhabitable, French officials say. They said nine people had died and seven were missing in the French territories, while two are known to have died in Dutch Sint Maarten

Turks and Caicos Islands: Widespread damage, although extent unclear

Barbuda: The small island is said to be "barely habitable", with 95% of the buildings damaged. Antigua and Barbuda Prime Minister Gaston Browne estimates reconstruction will cost $100m (£80m). One death has been confirmed

Anguilla: Extensive damage with one person confirmed dead

Puerto Rico: More than 6,000 residents of the US territory are in shelters and many more without power. At least three people have died

British Virgin Islands: Widespread damage reported

US Virgin Islands: Damage to infrastructure was said to be widespread, with four deaths confirmed

Haiti and the Dominican Republic: Both battered by the storm, but neither had as much damage as initially feared

A bit more detail

link pelon Joined: Mar 22, 2008
9/9/17 12:49:03 PM 
In reply to Chrissy
Sis, I was looking at the European models for Irma, is it just me, or do you too feel coming off of Cuba, Irma could end up in NOLA or west panhandle area?

Something about the West Florida track from NHC seems very dependent on the post land mass interaction of Irma and Cuba

link rudebway Joined: Jul 29, 2009
9/9/17 2:55:00 PM 
In reply to Chrissy

A man in Florida died putting up hurricane shutters - fell, hit his head and was pronounced DOA at hospital

Always sad, and ladders are risky. I fell off a ladder two years ago and was lucky to only need wrist surgery. Yesterday, a friend in North Lauderdale wanted me to help her put up panel shutters on the second floor. i declined. I am glad i invested in accordian shutters. i saw what Andrew did to Homestead and Naranja. buildings completely blown off their foundation. Luckily it looks like south florida will be spared a direct hit.

link doosra Joined: May 26, 2004
9/9/17 3:00:58 PM 
In reply to rudebway

u declined helping a friend in need?

brave call

9/9/17 9:20:19 PM 
In reply to pelon

Just saw dis - Irma suddenly moving NW say the experts so not likely but wid dis hurricane who knows lol

9/9/17 9:20:50 PM 
In reply to rudebway

Smart man

link Maispwi Joined: Feb 4, 2003
9/9/17 11:56:46 PM 
In reply to nitro

Have you seen the size of Irma's eye wall? Fort Lauderdale ent safe especially being on de north western side of Irma

9/10/17 4:41:57 AM 
In reply to Maispwi

Florida keys currently feeling the brunt. Tampa watch out.

Anguilla and st Martin lucky Jose veering away. Thank god for that!

link black Joined: Feb 28, 2004
9/10/17 6:10:01 AM 
In reply to rudebway

I will be keeping a keen eye on this hurricane, I have family in the Tampa area.

9/10/17 7:25:16 AM 
In reply to black

"Hurricane Irma regained its strength as it closed in on Florida, with devastating winds and life-threatening storm surges prompting one of the largest evacuations in US history. The Category 4 hurricane had maximum sustained winds of 130mph, the National Hurricane Centre said, and was on path that would take it along the state's Gulf of Mexico coast, near population centres including Tampa and St Petersburg."

More here

Half the people killed by Irma to date died on St Martin and St Barts....

Cuba: Officials have reported "significant damage", without giving further details, but said there were no confirmed casualties yet, the AFP news agency reports

St Martin and St Barthelemy: Six out of 10 homes on St Martin, an island shared between France and the Netherlands, now uninhabitable, French officials say. They said nine people had died and seven were missing in the French territories, while two are known to have died in Dutch Sint Maarten

Turks and Caicos Islands: Widespread damage, although extent unclear

Barbuda: The small island is said to be "barely habitable", with 95% of the buildings damaged. Antigua and Barbuda Prime Minister Gaston Browne estimates reconstruction will cost $100m (£80m). One death has been confirmed

Anguilla: Extensive damage with one person confirmed dead

Puerto Rico: More than 6,000 residents of the US territory are in shelters and many more without power. At least three people have died

British Virgin Islands:Widespread damage reported, and five dead

US Virgin Islands: Damage to infrastructure was said to be widespread, with four deaths confirmed

Haiti and the Dominican Republic: Both battered by the storm, but neither had as much damage as initially feared

More here

9/10/17 7:35:32 AM 
In reply to mikesiva

Tampa - that would be a disaster on steroids.
Hmm

It's looking more like Naples but we can't be fore with Irma.

9/10/17 10:06:29 AM 
In reply to Chrissy

"As the historic, category-4 storm made landfall and where millions have been evacuated as 130mph winds left almost 600,000 without power, reports said a man in Monroe County, which covers Key West, was killed after he lost control of a vehicle he was in as winds whipped at tropical-storm strength. ABC News said the man was carrying a generator in anticipation of being without power for some time when the accident happened. Later, it was reported that two people had died in a head-on crash in Hardee County, southeast of the city of Tampa."

Deaths that could've been avoided if they had stayed indoors when the hurricane hit

9/10/17 4:18:34 PM 
In reply to mikesiva

Darwin calls.

Jose is doing the loop - word now is South Carolina and Maine. This will be a season to remember.

9/10/17 7:01:45 PM 
Massive devastation in the Florida Keys

A huge airborne relief mission is en route to the Keys to help people impacted by the tragic devastation caused when the eye of Hurricane Irma blasted through the Lower Florida Keys at daybreak Sunday morning.

Monroe County Emergency Management Director Martin Senterfitt called the destruction caused by Irma, a massive Category 4 storm when it impacted the Keys, a “humanitarian crisis.”

Among the services coming to the Keys are “disaster mortuary teams,” he told the conference call.

9/11/17 6:02:30 AM 
In reply to Chrissy

"Dutch search and rescue experts are heading to the shattered former colony of St Martin to support the humanitarian relief effort in the aftermath of Hurricane Irma. A team of 59 urban search and rescue experts is flying Monday to the Dutch territory that's home to some 40,000 people, where 70 per cent of homes were badly damaged last week by a direct hit from the Category 5 storm. Four people were killed and dozens injured. The Dutch government also is sending extra troops to maintain order following widespread looting and robberies."

More here

9/11/17 6:10:36 AM 
In reply to mikesiva

One of the bad things about hurricanes is that loss of power. The thieves love darkness. My sis says 3/4 of Miami lost power but they are among the lucky 1/4. lol

link rudebway Joined: Jul 29, 2009
9/11/17 11:54:58 AM 
In reply to Chrissy

some how my power stayed on. i am ecstatic. these hurricanes are scary.the winds were howling from 1pm to midnight in ft lauderdale, and i was worried about serious damage. luckily it just some trees.. if you are familiar with the Plantataion area, then you know its all trees. all my neighbors ficus trees are in my pool, my coconut tree blew over and is blocking the driveway, and most serious of all, my naseberry tree blew over. all in all, i cant complain. at some point i will discuss with the neighbor the shared fence that his trees demolished. folks in key west have serious issues, as they are basically cut off. my understanding is that they are unsure of the structural stability of the bridges, so they are hesiatating sending rescue vehicles there. not sure if you are familiar with the 7 mile and other bridges there.

9/11/17 4:35:23 PM 
In reply to rudebway

Same with my sis and her peeps lol

Very Happy Smile Sad Surprised Shocked Confused Cool Laughing Razz Embarassed Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Wink

Pages: previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  next