The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

County Cricket Round-Up of West Indies Players

Page: previous  13 next 
TanteMerle 4/24/24, 2:43:49 AM
TanteMerle avatar image

debut: 2/22/04
7,757 runs

In reply to imusic

So they bit the bullet and named Holder as captain in all formats.

When did that happen?

I know that I'm old, but wasn't Holder captain of the T20 team for one series,
when the excuse was that they did not want to bring in a whole squad.
I believe that it was against Afghanistan
so they used mostly players who were already on the tour.

Jason was a one series transition cappo between RTN and the real cappo Pollard.

So please when you are writing speculations,
at least use some facts to convince peeps who are not gullible.

I am being kind and saying speculations,
but what I really mean is straight up: -
chicanery
subterfuge
disingenuous remarks
Dam lies.

Throughout the recent years, Wondies had several undeserving cappos.
in no particular order: -
Clappo.
Holder
Randum
RTN
Sarwan (Elected but not make it due to injury)
Richie Richardson
Reifer
Mohammad
Braffit
Lara (1st stint)
Just off the top of my head.

Bottom-line: Everyone believes that Lloyd was smoking when he selected Holder as cappo.
But stop spreading lies and tell the truth.
You loss what little (and I mean minuscule) credibility you had.
- edited -
Jumpstart 4/24/24, 2:54:00 AM
Jumpstart avatar image

debut: 11/30/17
9,371 runs

Jumpstart 4/24/24, 3:39:32 PM
Jumpstart avatar image

9,371 runs

In reply to TanteMerle

Lara (1st stint)

was justified. yes he campaigned for it, egged on really by the then TTCB, and that is to be frowned upon, but courtney walsh wasn't captaincy material and there was no one else. we had lost in australia, been demolished in pakistan and had struggled to beat nz and sl, who were not strong teams in tests. And lara's results as captain were not that bad.We won the last wisden trophy we would win in 11 years in 1998. yes we lost in sa 5-0, but the WICB played the defining role in messing up that tour, again due to small minded idiots who could not see beyond the coconut palms that surround their islands. Pat Rousseau, as recently as 2013 was saying that lara disrespected mandela by apparently not responding to the letter. lara is adamant that it was the letter from mandela that caused them to abandon he strike, with the matters unresolved, and they'd remain unresolved for years. Anyways, wi, in no mood for a tour like SA, the second best team in the world are hammered 5-0 and 5-1. Walsh and ambrose were on song and so was franklyn rose, but lara was extremely distracted, despite scoring four half centuries, he wasn't himself. What many people don't know is that Pat Rousseau's WICB, was asking courtney walsh to captain the team.....and he flatly refused, showing solidarity with the players. If rousseau wasn't so pig headed, as dave cameron would be 14 years later(in fact only ken gordon and sir wes hall were decent WICB presidents in between, hall being the best), WI could have won those series because lara was simply distracted, not out of form, as the Aussie visit 3 months later would show, against a better attack.

WI drew with australia, by far the best side in the world 3 months later, thanks to lara's herculean runs, adams' enormous support and the genius of walshj and ambrose, then 36 and 37 respectively. We then went to NZ where the umpiring was again, absolutely awful. Sinclair got numerous lbw shouts turned down befoire he crossed 200(never came close to that again) and lara, on 60 sumthin and looking ominous against a weak attack, was given out incorrectly to dion nash in the second innings of that test. the umpire was questioned by some journalists a few years ago and admitted he ,made an error when he saw the replay in the 3rd umpire's room. we know the history of the west indies with umpires in NZ. its no secret

I gave Brian Lara out caught behind in the Boxing Day test in 1999 off Dion Nash. Nash was convinced, there was a big sound and [wicketkeeper Adam] Parore caught it in front of Fleming at first slip, so there was obvious deviation. Lara shook his head straight away, but I gave him out. He wasn't happy. Nash later told me that Fleming and the other slips didn't think Lara had hit it. I later discovered that the Windies bowler Reon King had made a hole or a hollow, right where Lara swung at Nash's delivery. He may have hit that hole. In 2015, Lara would've challenged my call and may have been given not out.

It aint incompetence, its dishonesty
- edited -
camos 4/24/24, 4:20:01 PM
camos avatar image

debut: 5/6/03
57,323 runs

In reply to TanteMerle

Bottom-line: Everyone believes that Lloyd was smoking when he selected Holder as cappo.

Lloyd supported the idea, but I don't remember him involved in the selection.
Jumpstart 4/24/24, 4:27:21 PM
Jumpstart avatar image

9,371 runs

In reply to camos

i don't think lloyd was involved at all. i think that was a decision made by the wicb, led by cameron and his two biggest supporters, who voted with him in the 2019 election which he lost. but he was the chief of selectors and the blame went to him. Martin crowe went as far as to say that lloyd's respect had evaporated

It makes no sense to have left out Dwayne Bravo, let alone as captain. All this upheaval makes it hard to think they have any hope, but funnier things have happened. If Chris Gayle or Marlon Samuels get in the right mood, they will be a cause for concern for any opponent. A massive if.
4REALQUICKS 4/26/24, 3:24:55 PM
4REALQUICKS avatar image

debut: 2/16/24
209 runs

Today, April 26th, the latest round of County Championship matches start. Below is the first update of scores from the teams playing with West Indian players involved.

Division One Games:

The Oval, Surrey vs Hampshire

Hants 151 all out (Roach 1/37)
Surrey 32/2

Kidderminster, Worcestershire vs Somerset

Somerset 181/6 (Holder 3/32)

Note, in Division Two, Sussex, featuring Jayden Seales, play next week (away to Derbyshire)
- edited -
TanteMerle 4/26/24, 10:21:29 PM
TanteMerle avatar image

7,757 runs

In reply to Jumpstart

Really!!!

Lloyd was lead selector who recommended Holder.

I remember clearly as he got cussed pon dis MB.

He was called senile among other things.

I believe that he had recently scored an unbeaten century to draw a test.

The selection was all Lloyd.
- edited -
4REALQUICKS 4/27/24, 11:21:29 AM
4REALQUICKS avatar image

209 runs

County Day Two morning round up...

The Oval, Surrey vs Hampshire

Hants 151 all out (Roach 1/37)
Surrey 134/5

Kidderminster, Worcestershire vs Somerset

Somerset 309/9dec (Holder 3/72)
Worcs 14/0

Start delayed by rain
Jumpstart 4/27/24, 1:21:53 PM
Jumpstart avatar image

9,371 runs

In reply to TanteMerle

Lloyd was lead selector who recommended Holder.

it is extremely likely lloyd was acting on instructions. you as well as i know that
4REALQUICKS 4/27/24, 5:16:50 PM
4REALQUICKS avatar image

209 runs

Round up of the scores as we near the close of play on day two of the latest round of county championship games involving West Indian players:

At The Oval, Surrey vs Hampshire...

Hants 151 all out (Roach 1/37) & 31/2 (Roach 1/14)
Surrey 359 (Roach 19)

Meanwhile, following a delayed start due to rain at Kidderminster, Worcestershire vs Somerset...

Somerset 309/9dec (Holder 3/72)
Worcs 107/1

Bad light stopped play
TanteMerle 4/27/24, 8:25:30 PM
TanteMerle avatar image

7,757 runs

In reply to Jumpstart

I will say it again,
Lloyd was the person who recommended Holder as cappo.
He gave an interview stating that he had a feeling about Holder.
The selectors then made the recommendation and the Board ratified it.

There was lots of cussing of Lloyd here, on this MB about it.
His name went from 'Big Cat' to 'Big P....y'.

Lloyd made Holder cappo with only 6 tests under his belt.
I cautiously supported the move stating that it may be a Greame Smith type situation.

I am sure that some people here remember it.
Chrissy, Dukes, please respond. Am I correct?
- edited -
Jumpstart 4/27/24, 8:43:05 PM
Jumpstart avatar image

9,371 runs

In reply to TanteMerle

and I'll say it again.,...........IT IS MORE THAN LIKELY THAT LLOYD WAS ACTING ON INSTRUCTIONS. CLYDE BUTT APPOINTED DARREN SAMMY AS CAPPO OFFICIALLY, i highly doubt he recomended him. As soon as cameron was gone from WI cricket, lloyd was saying it was time for holder leave.

If I were a selector,” said Sir Clive Lloyd last week, “obviously Kraigg (Brathwaite) would be slightly ahead of Jason (Holder) because of what he has done with the team they have there.”

“I’m sure Jason is not a guy,” he added, “who will say ‘I’ve got a bad deal or a raw deal.’”

https://www.guardian.co.tt/sports/sir-clive-brathwaite-slightly-ahead-of-holder-for-captaincy-6.2.1292123.883981acbf
- edited -
TanteMerle 4/27/24, 8:57:38 PM
TanteMerle avatar image

7,757 runs

In reply to Jumpstart

Really Bro.

I am referring to Holder's selection as cappo in 2015,
when Lloyd was head selector.

What is that to do with Lloyd's speech about a situation that occurred 6 years later.
Lloyd's speech that you reference here is about the decision between
Braffit replacing Holder or Holder resuming the spot after the Bangladesh tour that Holder opted out of.

let me say it again...
Lloyd recommended Holder as cappo in 2015 and the WICB ratified it.
We all heard it from Lloyd in 2015, and he spoke confidently.
- edited -
Jumpstart 4/27/24, 9:37:10 PM
Jumpstart avatar image

9,371 runs

In reply to TanteMerle

I am referring to Holder's selection as cappo in 2015,
when Lloyd was head selector.

What is that to do with Lloyd's speech about a situation that occurred 6 years later.
Lloyd's speech that you reference here is about the decision between
Braffit replacing Holder or Holder resuming the spot after the Bangladesh tour that Holder opted out of.

holder's inclusion as captain came out of the politics of the 2014 strike. Jason holder was not even an ODI regular before the strike. he didn't even play in the odi before the WI downed tools, a game we narrowly lost. and he was given the odi captaincy first.

case in point. when phil simmons wanted to pick bravo and pollard in his odi team to pakistan in 2016......he was not suspended by the chairman of selectors.....those instructions came from way higher up. The WICB suspended him. not the WICB'S chairman of selectors. lest not play smart with foolishness. we know that the suspensions that were on dwayne bravo, pollard and gayle and russell for a time did not come from the selection committee. clive had to say wheat he had to say to keep his job. it didn't work anyway because he got the sack under a year after appointing holder as cap[po. as if that would change anything
- edited -
TanteMerle 4/28/24, 1:30:40 AM
TanteMerle avatar image

7,757 runs

In reply to Jumpstart

Got you.

I see why you believe that Lloyd was influenced
by the dictators.
There was definitely politics involved there.
That was a bad time for Windies and we are still struggling.

West Indies captaincy situation has been tumultuous since Richard's retirement.
We had some bad ones since then.
such as, in no particular order:
Selfishpaul.
Reifer
Richie Richardson
Mohammed
Braffit (got I when he could not earn a place in the team)
Scammy (no expounding needed)

In my opinion, the only deserving cappos were,
in no particular order:
Hooper.
Gayle only got it because of (Sarwan's injury)
Pollard. (Got it way too late)
Lara (second stint)
Ramdum (somewhat)

Maybe I am forgetting one or two.
- edited -
Jumpstart 4/28/24, 2:05:37 AM
Jumpstart avatar image

9,371 runs

In reply to TanteMerle

WI going to take a long time to recover from the antics of cameron and more so, the two headed monster from st lucia. at least cameron has one tincy wincy good part of his legacy. better pitches in the caribbean. hunte and especially hillaire just left destroyed careers and an acidic relationship between players and the board. it was toxic before them and they amplified it
4REALQUICKS 4/28/24, 5:08:09 PM
4REALQUICKS avatar image

209 runs

A typically wet spring day over in England. Lots of disruption to play in the county games but scores as they currently stand, at the close of play on day three (of four), are as follows...

The Oval - Surrey vs Hampshire

Hants 151 all out (Roach 1/37) & 116/5 (Roach 2/31)
Surrey 359 (Roach 19)

Hants still trail by 92 runs

Kidderminster - Worcestershire vs Somerset

Somerset 309/9dec (Holder 3/72) & 5/1 (Holder 1/1)
Worcs 451/9dec (Holder 12)

Somerset trailing by 137 runs
- edited -
4REALQUICKS 4/29/24, 12:26:27 PM
4REALQUICKS avatar image

209 runs

Final day...

Morning update as follows:

Hants 151 all out (Roach 1/37) & 165/8 (Roach 2/39)
Surrey 359 (Roach 19)

Hants still trail by 43 runs

Somerset 309/9dec (Holder 3/72) & 57/2 (Holder 1/6)

Somerset trailing by 86 runs
4REALQUICKS 4/29/24, 5:13:29 PM
4REALQUICKS avatar image

209 runs

Hants 151 all out (Roach 1/37) & 197 all out (Roach 2/39)
Surrey 359 (Roach 19)

Surrey won by an inns & 11 runs

Somerset 309/9dec (Holder 3/72) & 190/4 (Holder 1/17)

Match Drawn
4REALQUICKS 4/29/24, 5:25:46 PM
4REALQUICKS avatar image

209 runs

Stats Round-Up for the West Indian Players in the County Championship:

Jason Holder

After his first four matches, Holder has scored 63 runs at an average of 12, with a highest score of 29. He has also taken 8 wickets at an average of 39, with best bowling figures of 3/47.

Kemar Roach

Four matches in, Roach has taken 6 wickets at an average of 45, with best figures of 2/39. He has made 22 runs.

Jayden Seales

Seales will start his fourth game for Sussex on Friday. Although one game behind Roach & Holder, he has already outshone both in the early stages of the county championship by taking 12 wickets at an average of 24, with best figures of 4/18. He has made 12 runs.
4REALQUICKS 5/2/24, 6:39:35 PM
4REALQUICKS avatar image

209 runs

Sad news today...

Jason Holder's Worcestershire team mate, Josh Baker, has passed away. He was just 20 years old.

Baker played alongside Jason Holder earlier this season in the games against Notts & Durham. He played 22 first class matches, taking 43 wickets with his left arm spin.
- edited -
openning 5/3/24, 1:10:08 AM
openning avatar image

debut: 11/13/02
43,892 runs

In reply to imusic
this present board is not much better, who is the coach and COC? check where they are from.
We have two former International fast-bowling stars, who are not part of the coaching unit.
Both Ambrose and Walsh should be at the academy or coaching the international Fast-bowling unit.
How many years of experience does Sammy have coaching and what experience in organizational management does the COC bring to the table?
4REALQUICKS 5/3/24, 1:03:00 PM
4REALQUICKS avatar image

209 runs

Today saw the start of the latest round of Division Two County Championship games. Jayden Seales is back in action at a cold, breezy Derby. Plenty of rain is forecast for the afternoon, so most of the cricket has probably already been played for today. Seales bowled two spells, the first of which was a bit mixed, with some good deliveries mixed in with a few overpitched, or a little too straight. He currently has 0/29 from six overs, with Derbyshire on 90/4 having been put into bat by Sussex.
imusic 5/3/24, 2:17:51 PM
imusic avatar image

debut: 11/13/02
77,887 runs

Ah wonder who engaging in chicanery, subterfuge, and downright tellin lies now?
- edited -
4REALQUICKS 5/3/24, 3:03:41 PM
4REALQUICKS avatar image

209 runs

The rain has stayed away, thus far...

Derbs now 189/8 (Seales 1/40)
Page: previous  13 next